Formula 1 - 2009 Season

I really am beginning to wonder what Williams could manage with a good driver. They are the only team that has been consistanly quick in the practise sessions.

I guess the drivers must bottle it under pressure. I'd love to see Montoya back in there.

I really am beginning to wonder what Williams could manage with a good driver. They are the only team that has been consistanly quick in the practise sessions.

I guess the drivers must bottle it under pressure. I'd love to see Montoya back in there.

Well, I think they do have a tendency to run light on fuel in these practice sessions in order to post a fast time. Rosberg is clearly a very good driver. Nakajima needs replacing of course, although that may be politically difficult.

BTW Whilst listening to the BBC coverage they were pimping a book on the history of Williams that's coming out soon. Could be interesting.

I assume it's this one here.

Montoya is a good natural talent but he's not a good development driver.

First time ever one of Brawns out before last phase of qualifying.

But what happened to Massa? Looked bad, medics in and all :???:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea Massa was lucky. Was quite tense for a few minutes when watching it on BBC. All we got was the 3 presenters speculating about what happened and then trying to talk about Q3 qualifying for 30 minutes before we saw the footage of what had happened and got news Massa was "OK" if you think being hit by a flying car part at 150 miles an hour in the face is "OK".

Sometimes Eddie Jordan comes across like he really gets aggravated by David Coulthard in their exchanges and David (who is much bigger than Eddie) seems to have the old tear eyed dear (or Bambi) look on his face whenever it happens.

Poor David is probably building up to thumping Eddie one of these days. LOL.

Then again maybe I am watching a different broadcast to the rest of the UK! :D

An update on Massa from the beeb:

Felipe Massa has undergone emergency surgery after suffering skull damage and concussion in a high-speed accident during Hungarian Grand Prix qualifying.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8168807.stm

Hope he has a speedy recovery.

Most likely he'll never be as fast as now, at least not this season, that's for sure.
I'd expect Luca Badoer to fill in for him for few races, even though there's quite long break in GPs after tomorrows race

Update on Massa's situation:
According to news from Associated Press, Massa is in mortal danger after even now after his surgery.
According to unconfirmed rumors, he has been put artificially into coma due brains swelling, some of the skull bones had to be removed, but in general the surgery was a success.

edit:
The hungarian doctors say that Massa's situation was stable when he was brought in, but he has severely weakened after the surgery, which is quite common in head/brain surgeries

Terrible accident and it's somewhat similar to the Surtees accident. Massa is hit on the helmet, continues straight on and hits the barriers. The differences are that Surtees was hit by a bigger object and Surtees could not brake before hitting the barrier, indeed the throttle was stuck open.

I hope Massa will be OK. It overshadows Alonso's (very light) pole position. At least Hamilton has to get past the two Red Bulls with his KERS before he can trouble Alonso.

We know the Red Bulls have the special "KERS cars tire shredding" front wing option though! :p

I still can't believe the Massa incident after last week.

Another update, AEK hospitals doctor has described Massa's condition as "serious, in mortal danger but stable"
He will be woken up tomorrow, if everything goes according to plans

Last edited by a moderator:
Massa has been woken up, has been able to answer questions, move his hands and according to Toyota's doctor, who has been talking with Ferrari's doctor, the situation looks good now

So Ferrari is going to run one car today? They have Marc Gene and Luca Badoer, but apparently they won't drive.

I hope Massa has a speedy recovery and that he'll be back to driving soon.

So Ferrari is going to run one car today? They have Marc Gene and Luca Badoer, but apparently they won't drive.

I hope Massa has a speedy recovery and that he'll be back to driving soon.

Yep, one car only, if you're going to use someone else than your regular drivers he has to drive the whole weekend IIRC

The big question is - though, who will drive in next GPs in Massa's place, I'm sure he will miss at least couple even though there's a break now.
I doubt they'd use Gene, Badoer has been in the team so long that he would seem more obvious choice to me, but then there's Bourdais, who has racing experience from this season too, and is now a free driver.

Yep, one car only, if you're going to use someone else than your regular drivers he has to drive the whole weekend IIRC

The big question is - though, who will drive in next GPs in Massa's place, I'm sure he will miss at least couple even though there's a break now.
I doubt they'd use Gene, Badoer has been in the team so long that he would seem more obvious choice to me, but then there's Bourdais, who has racing experience from this season too, and is now a free driver.
Michael Schumacher could probably jump in and be competitive right away.

Tonio Liuzzi? He's fast and while Helmut Marko has kinda ruined his career, he deserves a second chance in F1.

Villeneuve is very keen to get back in to F1 now, and he's very experienced even though he's been out of F1 since 2006.

Ralf Schumacher could probably do it, but I don't think he'd be any better than Villeneuve.

You have people like Takuma Sato, Anthony Davidson, Alexander Wurz, Robert Doornbos, Christian Klien and Christijan Albers.

Even David Coulthard could jump in. He is a reserve driver for the Red Bull teams and Toro Rosso is using a Ferrari engine, so ...

And this might be very "out there" but people think Fernando Alonso is going to Ferrari next year. Maybe that deal will be fast-tracked and he'll drive the rest of the season for Ferrari. I don't think it is likely and I hope not, but speculation is fun.

All in all, there are many options for Ferrari.

Michael Schumacher could probably jump in and be competitive right away.

Tonio Liuzzi? He's fast and while Helmut Marko has kinda ruined his career, he deserves a second chance in F1.

Villeneuve is very keen to get back in to F1 now, and he's very experienced even though he's been out of F1 since 2006.

Ralf Schumacher could probably do it, but I don't think he'd be any better than Villeneuve.

You have people like Takuma Sato, Anthony Davidson, Alexander Wurz, Robert Doornbos, Christian Klien and Christijan Albers.

Even David Coulthard could jump in. He is a reserve driver for the Red Bull teams and Toro Rosso is using a Ferrari engine, so ...

And this might be very "out there" but people think Fernando Alonso is going to Ferrari next year. Maybe that deal will be fast-tracked and he'll drive the rest of the season for Ferrari. I don't think it is likely and I hope not, but speculation is fun.

All in all, there are many options for Ferrari.

Michael Schumacer has already confirmed that he won't drive.
I'm quite sure it's one of these 3, Bourdais, Gene and Badoer

Michael Schumacer has already confirmed that he won't drive.
I'm quite sure it's one of these 3, Bourdais, Gene and Badoer
Well, I haven't heard anything about anyone, and I would be very surprised if they picked Bourdais. Granted, he has recent experience, but ...

Back