Formula 1 - 2009 Season

I doubt anybody would touch KERS through turn 8 or after it, or anywhere at high speed except in desparation, it just negates the advantage of the extra power when resistances are so much higher.

I was briefly amazed at the McLaren KERS system apparently contradicting the laws of physics as Kovalainen blasted away from Barrichello at the end of the back straight, until Barrichello confirmed later he had lost 7th gear :smile:

Thinking about it, I can see McLaren struggling through turn 8 with their system, if the batteries are outboard as the Monaco photos suggest, and the adverse effect on high speed aerodynamic downforce they are suffering.

This seems to be confirmed, Hamilton said after the race that he was losing up to half a second through turn 8 as the car seemed too heavy and was refusing to turn. He didn't attribute this to KERS, but it supports my prediction in the post above.

poor Bari... part of it is his fault (especially colliding with force india... not so much for colliding with Kovi, because overtaking kers car is pita), part of it is his bad luck at the start...

congrats for Button.

and if i heard correctly, Vettel were being told that Webber is faster and he should slow down to save engine..... Obviously Vettel ignored that :)

I was briefly amazed at the McLaren KERS system apparently contradicting the laws of physics as Kovalainen blasted away from Barrichello at the end of the back straight, until Barrichello confirmed later he had lost 7th gear :smile:
I rather enjoted that.

Sadly, however, it seems that FOTA have agreed to no KERS in 2010. Generally I'm in agreement with FOTA's stance, but this one makes me sad. Given that most of the manufacturers are the ones making KERS available its likely that it won't feature on 2010, even if the FIA rules allow it.

Button is unstoppable and Brawn is pretty damn reliable even though Rubinho retired.

Disappointed that Alonso didn't score.

I rather enjoted that.

Sadly, however, it seems that FOTA have agreed to no KERS in 2010. Generally I'm in agreement with FOTA's stance, but this one makes me sad. Given that most of the manufacturers are the ones making KERS available its likely that it won't feature on 2010, even if the FIA rules allow it.

I should point out that it wasn't KERS, it was just Barrichello hitting the rev limiter in 6th gear while Kovalainen had another gear to use. As I said before using KERS in that situation wouldn't be particularly effective, which is where my original surprise came from until the explanation became apparent.

As Martin Brundle said when Kovalainen fought back into turn 1, it's just plastic racing when a couple of cars have KERS and most do not. I've always said if they all had KERS, they would all use it in the same (most beneficial) places per lap. It wouldn't create any more overtaking, just give the drivers an extra button to press out of a couple of corners. The only real differentiator between KERS teams in that situation would simply be who had the most efficient, packaged system, and that would take a ton of R&D money to produce. I'll be glad to see the back of it to be honest, what a waste of money.

Can someone explain something to me
I was watching highlights of the 1987 british grand prix http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8102079.stm (1:50 onwards) (might only be avialable to brits)

Murray Walker is talking about the drivers rankings and he says "In first place is Senna, in second place is Prost........................... in sixth place is berger. In the three and a half litre category Britains Jonathan Palmer leads Philip Streiff"

Can someone elaborate it was a bit before my time...

Can someone explain something to me
I was watching highlights of the 1987 british grand prix http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8102079.stm (1:50 onwards) (might only be avialable to brits)

Murray Walker is talking about the drivers rankings and he says "In first place is Senna, in second place is Prost........................... in sixth place is berger. In the three and a half litre category Britains Jonathan Palmer leads Philip Streiff"

Can someone elaborate it was a bit before my time...
There was a two-tier formula with both turbocharged engines and naturally aspirated engines allowed. There were trophies for drivers and constructors with naturally aspirated engines (who couldn't compete with the turbo charged cars). In 1989 only naturally aspirated engines were allowed, and 1988 had restrictions on turbos, but in 1987 the turbos dominated. There were 3.5 litre V8s versus 1.5 litre turbocharged engines (V8, V6 or I4). The Honda and Porsche TAG V6s were the best ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I guess this is it for F1. I hope the new championship will be good. Maybe they'll allow more variations in car designs.

They've done what now? FIA has agreed to raise the limit to 100 million euros for 2010, 45 million euros in 2011. Teams are gathering up at Renaults HQ thursday to decide what to respond

www.formulapremier.com still seems not to be registered - might not be a bad idea to claim that domain...! ;)

Well, lets see if this is another gambit to get the FIA to crumble. On the one hand, if the FIA continue not to budge, then I think this is the right thing; on the other, I worry about how I'll be able to watch it.

FOTA are launching their own series.

They confirmed that somewhere? The F1 news I follow haven't mentioned anything of such, only that it's a possibility IF they end up quitting F1, and that the decision on that will be done thursday.

Back