Formula 1 - 2009 Season

I dont blame Vettel too much. The tires probably wouldnt have worked for anybody at the start of the race because (webber was on the other ones?) of the track condition and he had to fight with those tyres so other than giving up positions its not like he could have done alot to prevent it. Yes he crashed but who doesnt at Monaco? I suppose crashing in monaco is like crashing in general in F1. Not a case of will it happen, but when will it happen.

I think Turkey should be a KERS track. You have the s/f straight, you have a straight after turn 8 and you have a long one with a kink (turn 11) leading into the slow turn 12-13-14 combo.

I think Turkey should be a KERS track. You have the s/f straight, you have a straight after turn 8 and you have a long one with a kink (turn 11) leading into the slow turn 12-13-14 combo.

It should be. From memory, out of turn 9 is the most obvious place to use it, perhaps with a bit out of the final turn, turn 1 and turn 5. Turn 8 is the quad-apex high speed turn, right? No benefit from KERS there.

Does anybody else get upset that these tracks don't have corner names?

I would like to see a car with such grip and downforce to be able to use KERS throughout turn 8 and hit all the apexes. That would be awesome, but no I meant using it after the corner.

I don't really care if they have names or not, because I only remember the big ones anyway.

I would like to see a car with such grip and downforce to be able to use KERS throughout turn 8 and hit all the apexes. That would be awesome, but no I meant using it after the corner.

I doubt anybody would touch KERS through turn 8 or after it, or anywhere at high speed except in desparation, it just negates the advantage of the extra power when resistances are so much higher.

Thinking about it, I can see McLaren struggling through turn 8 with their system, if the batteries are outboard as the Monaco photos suggest, and the adverse effect on high speed aerodynamic downforce they are suffering.

Maybe it's just me, but a fantastic section like Turkey "turn 8" will never be as instantly recognisable the world over as Eau Rouge, Flugplatz, Parabolica, Bergwerk, Ferradura, Masta, Karussel... if only it was called something mundane like Firkete (apparently "hairpin" in Turkish).

Last edited by a moderator:
But if you take turn 8 less-than-well, having KERS to augment the speed would be an advantage down to turns 9 and 10.

You have a point on the name, though.

But if you take turn 8 less-than-well, having KERS to augment the speed would be an advantage down to turns 9 and 10.

Like I said, only in desparation-it wouldn't really do much.

KERS is not a magic "go faster" button, only an "increase power" button. Once you are no longer traction limited under acceleration, any increase in power has a noticable effect as aerodynamic drag is low, but when you're near terminal velocity aerodynamic drag is so high that the same increase in power has no real effect.

Aerodynamic drag increases with the cube of the velocity. In the simplest sense, if a particular car required 1hp to reach 25mph, it would need 8hp for 50mph, 64hp for 100mph and 512hp for 200mph. So you can see how it becomes much harder to gain speed via power increase the faster you're going.

I see, they take turn 8 at sixth gear so there's not much room to increase.

In 2012? It was supposed to be Aston Martin the season they enter - unless they enter 2012 and not 2011 (didn't read the link)
What? Prodrive enters 2010 (assuming their entry is accepted), then is rebranded Aston Martin in 2012 or something. David Richards owns Aston and Prodrive and you have to say, Aston Martin is the better brand.

Yeah, that was a mistake on my part, meant 2010, not 11
Anyway, I thought it was meant to enter as Aston Martin right from the beginning

Yeah, that was a mistake on my part, meant 2010, not 11
Anyway, I thought it was meant to enter as Aston Martin right from the beginning
Apparently not. Maybe they don't want to associate with it before they know it is viable and the entry is accepted and the team has gotten off the ground.

Turkish qualifying going on, Hamilton & Piruet-Piquet out already in 1st part of qualifying

I hope a Red Bull wins this race if not only to bring the fight to Brawn.

I hope Webber can edge out Vettel because Webber needs to win and he deserves it. Webber is longer than Vettel too.

Back