Formula 1 - 2009 Season

Norbert Haug and a guy from Mercedes High-performance Engines showed the KERS to Martin Brundle (or was it DC?) during the BBC build up to a qualifying session (can't remember which) and it looked very light and very small. Apparently it's not connected to the brakes but the engine.

Ofcourse it looks light and small, all units do (probably because they are ;)). The company working on the fly wheel kers for williams that put that video online, their unit isnt much bigger than a small ball.

Ofcourse it looks light and small, all units do (probably because they are ;)). The company working on the fly wheel kers for williams that put that video online, their unit isnt much bigger than a small ball.

the kers system itself is, but the batteries they load apparently aren't that light or small

It was the battery pack, the motor and the control unit. They all looked very compact and light.

Anyway, talks are continuing into the weekend.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8064314.stm

James Allen says the vibe is that Toyota is going to quit anyway, but remarks that that has been the vibe before and they are still here

http://allenonf1.wordpress.com/2009/05/22/light-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel-in-f1-dispute/

Last edited by a moderator:
Alonso managed to go fastest in Free Practice 3. I am hopeful for a good result this weekend, though the Brawns look very strong.

Williams.

I read your post as suggesting that a flywheel system would have a battery as well. I must have missread it.

Actually the fault was mine, I seemed to have just read past the fact that this was indeed about the flywheel kers :oops:

Hamilton crashed in Q1. It was a weird situation, but he destroyed his left rear suspension and he had to change his gearbox so he'll start from the back of the grid.

Button is going to be murdered off the line by Kimi's KERS car.

Vettel is very light, pit stop at lap 12 or something.

Toyota has protested Alonso for blocking Trulli in Q1. It's touch-and-go, because Alonso too was right behind another car.

Really ;)

ps: today i was visited by the Gaming gods
"Davros" they said "we weep for it has come to our attention that you are lacking in contemporary F1 Gaming Goodness. Well let us rectify that by bestowing upon you addon seasons for the years 2006, 2008 and 2009, for EA sports F1 Challenge. http://www.f-1mania.es/mod/descargai.htm

yay now i have all the seasons from 1995 onwards....

It was not the "retards" fault, I wish people would not always blame the "tacticians"at Ferrari because there is such a thing as the laws of physics!

1. Kimi on the wrong side of the road (very dirty and slippery)
2. According to Martin Brundle KERS only effective from 100kph onwards
3. Button and Barrichelo made perfect starts
4. Soft tyres decision was made by Button, Barrichelo and Hamilton only - the tyres grained and Barrichelo fell off the pace of up to 4 seconds per lap meaning he had to come in several laps early for his change killing his chances of overtaking Button during pits.
5. Listening to the car engine as Kimi started it sounded like his revs were low, or the engine seemed to whine a bit.

Really ;)

ps: today i was visited by the Gaming gods
"Davros" they said "we weep for it has come to our attention that you are lacking in contemporary F1 Gaming Goodness. Well let us rectify that by bestowing upon you addon seasons for the years 2006, 2008 and 2009, for EA sports F1 Challenge. http://www.f-1mania.es/mod/descargai.htm

yay now i have all the seasons from 1995 onwards....

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/a78890/ea-sports-signs-up-lewis-hamilton.html

Maybe a new game is in the works for later this year. I hope so anyway, I am still playing GP4 with mods for 2008 season.

It was not the "retards" fault, I wish people would not always blame the "tacticians"at Ferrari because there is such a thing as the laws of physics!

If you look how the cars drive during race etc, they drive more to Kimi's side of track at the starting line than Button/Barrichellos side, so Kimi should have had better grip at start
2. According to Martin Brundle KERS only effective from 100kph onwards
This is true
3. Button and Barrichelo made perfect starts
Quite possible
4. Soft tyres decision was made by Button, Barrichelo and Hamilton only - the tyres grained and Barrichelo fell off the pace of up to 4 seconds per lap meaning he had to come in several laps early for his change killing his chances of overtaking Button during pits.
Kimi drove 25 laps with the softer tyres without any problems at the end of the race, surely they would have been more than fine for the shorter stint at the beginning, too

edit: And there was more than just those 3 with super softs at the start, at least Vettel was (though he had problems with them quite shortly) on them, and I think there were others too
5. Listening to the car engine as Kimi started it sounded like his revs were low, or the engine seemed to whine a bit.
That's possible, couldn't hear only Kimi's engine

Kimi was on the cleaner side. Anyway, Jenson jog was funny. :)

When looking towards the starting grid from the first corners side, Kimi started from the right side - now if you look through the race, you'll notice that the drivers drive closer to that side than left side where Button & Barrichello started

When looking towards the starting grid from the first corners side, Kimi started from the right side - now if you look through the race, you'll notice that the drivers drive closer to that side than left side where Button & Barrichello started

Kimi said himself he was on the slippery side in the press conference:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8066142.stm

About 4mins 35 seconds in.... (UK viewers only).

The two Brawns came off the line well and Raikkonen was left (quite literally) in the dust, as his grid position was on the dirty side of the road. The KERS made no difference at all.
http://www.grandprix.com/race/r809racereport.html

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/a78890/ea-sports-signs-up-lewis-hamilton.html

Maybe a new game is in the works for later this year. I hope so anyway, I am still playing GP4 with mods for 2008 season.

Codies have the F1 rights.

Hamilton crashed in Q1. It was a weird situation, but he destroyed his left rear suspension and he had to change his gearbox so he'll start from the back of the grid.

IMO he shouldn't have turned at the last minute, and instead hit the tyres head on. Might have got away with wiping out the nose, and being able to return to the pits. Might not have worked, but it looked slow enough.

That was never going to happen, from the dirty side of the grid, on the outside (not only for St. Devote but also of the curved s/f straight), and with such a short run to St. Devote negating KERS advantage.

Norbert Haug and a guy from Mercedes High-performance Engines showed the KERS to Martin Brundle (or was it DC?) during the BBC build up to a qualifying session (can't remember which) and it looked very light and very small. Apparently it's not connected to the brakes but the engine.

They all are.

True.

26pic1.jpg

The cars run around the inside of the s/f curve before moving to the outside well after crossing the s/f line.

You are right, of course. Ferrari are smarting from the loss of Brawn, they don't have anyone on the pit wall as good as Brawn.

Vettel is showing his inexperience, he destroyed his tyres and crashed. Maybe he is actually only good in the rain?

Back