Formula 1 - 2009 Season

Brawn tried to explain why Barrichello lost in the end to Button by badly working tires, but the driver didn't notice anything wrong with his tires

In the post race interview with the podium finishers he clearly stated that the tires underperformed.

Cheers

Apparently so, I was just quoting the news source I read it from in Finnish (not the usual MTV3)

Worse, well no. Basically non of the teams want a 2 tier championship and if Ferrari, bmw, toyota, williams and RB leave the sport you basically dont have a sport left so at some point somebody will have to give and I doubt that this time it are going to be the teams. Even if they all leave they could just make their own formula. As said before they might even hijack A1 GP now that Ferrari is so much involved there. That way they will have everything in place already.

Oh and the BCC really needs to kick out eddie jordan. Get gascoyne back atleast he knows what he's talking about.

"Ferrari shareholders are very concerned at the losses that are being made in the company at this time, the credit crunch has had an impact, and I think this (announcement) is different.

The CC had its impact? Yeah the impact was so big that it took as much as a couple of days to fill out the order book for 2 years on the California... Thats how bad it is. Not only that I believe actually a fairly big part of their earnings come from F1 (related good).

Basically Ferrari wants to buy trophies, and FIA doesn't allow them to so, so they chose to give up so they won't get humiliated.

Basically Ferrari wants to buy trophies, and FIA doesn't allow them to so, so they chose to give up so they won't get humiliated.

No Ferrari actually likes to compete and likes to develop cars and technology instead of competing with a standard same for all cheap piece of shit kit cars.

Besides that they actually got out spend the last couple of years (by Honda and the likes) its also a bullshit argument. What is your opinion of Chelsea, United or FC barcalona? Do they try and buy their trophies by spending insane amounts of money? Or do they spend that kind of money in a attempt to get the best sporting result possible? The simple fact is that in every sport where money can make a difference there are always teams/clubs that find the money and make use of it because they want to win (and because the top brass probably also likes to see some $$$ which comes from winning). Thats just how it is. If you dont like that sort of thing basically you can stop watching just about every half populair sport because everywhere money is involved in getting the best players or the best equipment.

No Ferrari actually likes to compete and likes to develop cars and technology instead of competing with a standard same for all cheap piece of shit kit cars.

Well I dont think that is true either because if they wanted to develop technology so much they would probably have done things different that spending 300million a year on a formula that since the 90's has been more and more regulated. You could still do some cool stuff in the early 90's. After senna's death the capping begun, it got even worse after 2004 and in 2009 you pretty much cant do anything anymore. Basic aero, nothing on the mechanical side, nothing on the electronics so what is left?

I dont think any team is really against a budget cap, certainly not if it creates a new era in which you can actually have 2 totally different cars that are competative like in the old days.

But it does need to make sense. So no 2 tier stuff and a budget that makes sense. Teams cant do shit for 40million. It costs billions to design a new road going car, how do you excpect somebody to build something advanced and high tech as a F1 car for a far smaller budget? not to mention if you actually want to develop something. I mean, how can you design a all new engine with high revs, atleast 1000bhp and a 3 race life time for 40million? And than you dont even have money left to build a car.

This is what I found on 2008 budgets

Toyota: $445.6m
McLaren: $433.3m
Ferrari: $414.9m
Honda: $398.1m
Renault: $393.8m
BMW Sauber: $366.8m
Red Bull Racing: $164.7m
Williams: $160.6m
Toro Rosso: $128.2m
Force India: $121.85m
Super Aguri: $45.6m

Why dont cap somewhere at 150 a 200million? Still not very high I'd say but that way the big spenders already save a big deal of money and the teams that dont have that kind of money suddenly come alot closer. And with that money atleast you can do some development.

Mike "The Hack" Doodson's "(...) looks back" column on the Spanish GP
http://www.grandprix.com/ft/ft21463.html

It's a good read, talking about all the bad things that has happened at the Spanish GP, Piquet Snr. fondness for telling tall tales and the BBC F1 coverage.

I have to agree the $40 million caps seems unreasonable but something in the region of $150 million would probably be doable.

It is a shame there is so much politics going on in the sport this season.

EDIT: Just read Mike Doodson's article and had me in stitches. Bloody hilarous!! $200 "Hublot" indeed.. LOL. Thanks for the link Bludd.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not $40 million, it's £40 million which was $58.8 million at the time of announcement.

Let's be serious, Formula1 is a competition between the OEMs on the technology front and basically they're in it for the image and promotion. If you take away that tech-leader aspect, there's nothing left for them to do. I'd expect every major team to follow Ferrari with a similar decision.

If you dig races of cheap run-of-the-mill cars, go watch Formula3 or such, there are more than enough such competiotions already.

What a stupid bullshit, who came up with this idea in the first place? He/she/it should be tarred and feathered in public TV.

If memory serves, Silverstone, 2003. End of Hangar straight/Stowe, lap 1.
I didn't see any problems with that. Schumi closed the door, and later Juan Pablo dived on the inside.

It was all great action, frantic start to the race.

Well, it's 6 years ago. It was his second season as a driver and he has grown up and done that to other people. C'est la vie.

Yeah, c'est la vie. Right up to the point where they touch at 180mph, have a massive accident and a wheel flies into a stewards enclosure or a grandstand.

Interlocking wheels at that speed is dangerous, with a decent chance of a car getting airborne. If you were too slow to cover the inside line then tough luck - hoping the other guy either backs off in time or is happy to hit the grass at 180mph isn't acceptable IMO.

Yeah, c'est la vie. Right up to the point where they touch at 180mph, have a massive accident and a wheel flies into a stewards enclosure or a grandstand.

Interlocking wheels at that speed is dangerous, with a decent chance of a car getting airborne. If you were too slow to cover the inside line then tough luck - hoping the other guy either backs off in time or is happy to hit the grass at 180mph isn't acceptable IMO.
That's why they are great drivers. Webber is good and Alonso is good. How many times have Alonso crashed with another driver? Not many and when he has it has been wheel to wheel straight on which is the way to do it.

But yeah, the sport is dangerous and there's always a risk/reward factor to consider.

Back