Formula 1 - 2008 Season

That was pretty much clear months ago as they didnt want to build their own car and the teams didnt exactly seem to be jumping in the air to allow customer cars, which I hope stays that way btw. Private teams like Williams spend alot of effort in trying to build a good car with their limited resources compared to the factory teams and it would be lame to suddenly see some team like prodrive that never even botherd investing something into F1 technology suddenly being fast because they trew some millions at Mcferrari to Drive last years silver ferrari.

Were the other contenders for the spot willing to build their own cars? If so, it was clearly shortsightedness which awarded the spot to Prodrive. Disappointing.

Were the other contenders for the spot willing to build their own cars? If so, it was clearly shortsightedness which awarded the spot to Prodrive. Disappointing.

The whole reason why nearly all those teams wanted a spot was because customer cars would mitigate the incredibly high cost of coming into F1. It must take several years to get the kind of critical mass of staff and expertise to build your own cars, and the costs are astronomical. Prodrive was probably attractive because they were going to get cars onto the grid in 2008, not a couple of years later. Even a company the size and experience of Prodrive can't afford to get into F1 without customer cars to bootstrap themselves into the sport.

When was the last time a new team came into F1, as opposed to someone simply buying an existing team and changing the name? I think it might have been Toyota. According to Wiki, they announced in 1999, first put a car on the grid in 2002 and just haven't done that well despite massive investment and previous experience of things like WRC. If the biggest car manufacturer in the world can't do it, Prodrive has little chance without customer cars.

But Super Aguri and Toro Rosso are essentially using customer cars right now. What happened to the Williams complaint about this?

But Super Aguri and Toro Rosso are essentially using customer cars right now. What happened to the Williams complaint about this?

My understanding is that it looks like a deal will be done to allow them to continue with customer cars for two more years, during which time they must switch over to designing/building their own chassis. It may be the case that the two teams may be excluded from the constructors championship.

Schumie would still rule I think. I wouldn't be suprised to see Brawn at Honda, get Schumie to come outta retirement. Although, it'll have to be for next year and all the drivers will be on an even keel with no traction control etc.

But I just can't see it happening.

US

That wont ever happen. I think schumie still has a contract with Ferrari but even if he didnt why would he go to a team he doesnt know and he knows wont be 100% certain to give him one of the fastests cars on the grid while he has Ferrari that will do everything for him and deliver him a car how he wants it.

The contract ends this year and the only other contracts are from sponsors. He might have a contract with Ferrari for the road cars(FXX) but that's an unknown.

As for Honda, Brawn could always pull Schumie in .. it's whether Schumie will want to build the car for the team that might be the concern. Schumie is not scared of going to out of form teams(remember Ferrari until 1999 hadn't won any of the championships for almost 20 years).

But time is against him and it would be whether he would want to develop the car.

Still, get Rory to come out of retirement and who knows.

US

Prost was 38 when he won his fourth championship and Mansell was 40 when he won.

Oh, I have no doubt Shumie can win another WC.. but the difference here is that if he goes to Honda, will they have a car to give him the championship. Currently, i'd say no. That would mean development etc. In a year or two, maybe then he would be fighting for the championship.

US

Interesting. Alonso, Button and Brawn could be a force to be reckoned with. Too bad Jenson isn't as easily cowed as someone like Fisi.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns19901.html

There have been many rumours today about Fernando Alonso meeting up with Honda and supposedly having a seat fitting. These are not true(...)
The article says it's not true, but it doesn't offer any evidence of it, except that Honda says that them signing Alonso is "pure speculation", which they would say anyway because they want to announce any deal with pomp and circumstance.

Back