Formula 1 - 2008 Season

All those restrictions certainly takes the one out of formula one.

If they want cars to go slower, just restrict cars to 2.5 litre engines.

Cheers

Cheers

2,5l engines can deliver some enormous power too, not truly a restriction...

2,5l engines can deliver some enormous power too, not truly a restriction...

Then make them even smaller. The state-of-the-art engine performance and the advanced aerodynamics is what sets F1 apart from every other race car class.

Cheers

Cheers

The engines are already smaller than that! 2.4 liter V8 engines...
This restriction of no engine development is catastropically stupid idea, just like the carved tires. I think it's fine to take out traction control and reducing downforce etc. but no developing is sucky sucky.

perhaps max should fire those people who come up with the rules and replace them with retired f1 drivers (who have no vested interest in any team) to come up with the rules

Hamilton insisted that his relationship with McLaren team-mate Fernando Alonso was not as strained as has been widely reported.
"Me and Fernando get on as well any other two people working together," he said.
"We're not best friends and he doesn't call me up to come to my house but we say 'hi' - sometimes we play Playstation, sometimes we have dinner together.
"At the end of the year we had a big hug and we said what a phenomenal year it had been and I said it had been a pleasure working with him.
"I don't know whose going to be my team-mate next year, I'm not particularly bothered. If it's going to be Fernando then great, but I'm really not fussed either way."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7068001.stm

In other news Hamilton has decided to move to Switzerland to escape the attention from the public he has attracted.

So the knives are out for a few months.. roll on 2008.

perhaps max should fire those people who come up with the rules and replace them with retired f1 drivers (who have no vested interest in any team) to come up with the rules

The problem is, it's Max who comes up with the ridicilous ideas always :p

Isnt the engine freeze untill 2010? I read that on a F1 site. Not to mention a 10 year freeze wont really work with all the biofuel/hybrid whatever stuff they want to introduce.

Maybe A1 really is becoming the next F1? F1 keeps getting more bound by rules but now Ferrari made a deal with A1 they will very likely be driving the F2007 only with adjusted aerodynamics so passing is made easier and they will be having slicks (though that doesnt automatically means they are faster rubber than in F1) and maybe if Ferrari is in a really good mood they trow in v10 engines or a turbo v8 but that probably wont happen, just giving the 2007 car will be the fastest and cheapest to do.

In other news Hamilton has decided to move to Switzerland to escape the attention from the public he has attracted.

Yep - I'm sure it's absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with wanting to pay as little tax as possible.

My cousin has been away working in Libya for a few years and at least he's honest about being a tax exile! He's getting paid a fair bit less than Hamilton admittedly. :smile:

Yep - I'm sure it's absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with wanting to pay as little tax as possible.

My cousin has been away working in Libya for a few years and at least he's honest about being a tax exile! He's getting paid a fair bit less than Hamilton admittedly. :smile:

The BBC article does mention the tax situation too.

Some drivers have chosen Monaco as their home but others Switzerland. An interesting choice nonetheless.

The BBC article does mention the tax situation too.

Some drivers have chosen Monaco as their home but others Switzerland. An interesting choice nonetheless.

Switzerland is easier, by the current laws, you "can't" earn your living by racing, so you don't need to pay any taxes for the money you get from it either, but in Monaco, they're quite strict on who gets to move there and who doesn't (moneywise etc)

i though monaco was that you had to spend at least 6 months in the country a year as well as the means test

http://www.itv-f1.com/Feature.aspx?Type=James_Allen&PO_ID=41227
James Allen said:
There is always Renault, of course, but as I said, Ron may well have insisted on a customer team clause, certainly the Spanish press are saying that he has, so all eyes are on Red Bull.
If it’s true he has to race for an independent team, David Coulthard and Mark Webber will be looking closely at their contracts…
Does this make sense? What would Ron Dennis and McLaren gain from Alonso driving for an independent team? They all compete for the same constructors' points. Wouldn't it make more sense for there to be a clause demanding Alonso take a sabbatical year away from F1?

http://www.itv-f1.com/Feature.aspx?Type=James_Allen&PO_ID=41227
Does this make sense? What would Ron Dennis and McLaren gain from Alonso driving for an independent team? They all compete for the same constructors' points. Wouldn't it make more sense for there to be a clause demanding Alonso take a sabbatical year away from F1?

It denies your main opponents a good driver. Not allowing Alonso to race at all would never make it into a contract, and would probably not be enforceable as it effectively denies Alonso the ability to earn a living.

Fine, but I still think it's silly to just deny him driving for a works team.

Thanks, Dave.

It will be interesting to see if Nico or Heikki shows up in a McLaren.

I'd laugh my ass off if noone takes him, or one of the slowest teams (and that 's exactly what he deserved IMO).

Back