Fight Night Round 4

So punching is a bit different. You can hook and uppercut to the body without holding a modifier. It's actually extremely easy.

If you push straight left on the right stick, you hook left to the body. If you push straight right on the right stick you right hook to the body. Down to the left is left uppercut body and down to the right is right uppercut to the body. All of the headshot controls are the same. RB is the modifier for haymakers, which I'm not sure if I like their being haymakers. They aren't as stupid looking as in the last one. It'll take me a while to get used to the new punch controls. Sometimes I hook to the body when I want to hook head. Not quite sure how fast combination punching works.

You can WEAVE! There are a few motions on the left stick to weave. Blocking is only up down, without the angles. Leaning is the same.

The game starts with an information vid about the game showing some of the roster. Then it puts you into a training mode to teach you the controls. The controls are very responsive and the graphics look great.

Face damage looks good. Demo is only three rounds and I couldn't seem to knock the guy out even though I rocked him a few times.

Looks like you can use photos to create your created boxers face. Think it will require the vision camera?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been reading a lot of impressions about the demo. The common complaints are:

1) straights look weak, and it's true. I don't think they do much damage. It seems like it would be hard to make a fighter like Felix Trinidad in this game. All they need to do is add the haymaker modifier to the cross.

2) Leaning doesn't work as well to avoid shots. There is a reason for this, and I like it. You actually have to time it when you want to slip a punch. If I throw jabs, my guy always throws it at the opponents face, whether he is standing, ducking or leaning to one side. In the old ones you could just sit and lean in one direction and punches would miss you because the punches always went straight ahead. In this one you have to move your body position as the punch is being thrown to avoid the shot. It's a realism issue that people aren't grasping.

3) Punch connects are too high. This is because people apparently haven't figure out they can't turtle, because the block has a meter that runs out if you try to cover up, and because people haven't grasped that you actually need to time your movements to slip punches. The reason is the demo does not have a difficulty setting and is probably set on easy or normal. The CPU isn't very defensive minded. I'm sure on a hard setting the CPU will be much harder to hit.

4) Mini game to heal and recover fighter. I guess this is unrealistic. You get points each round to spend on recovering health, stamina or healing damage. Sure, it isn't realistic but you don't want every fight ending in round 2. Maybe you'll lose stamina much faster on the hard settings? I don't know.

5) Lack of buttons. I always played with the sticks, so I don't have a problem with the lack of buttons for punching. Some people really hate it. I think the changes are maybe unnecessary, but I'm sure I'll get used to them. I thought the game was going to have button controls, but online play would be sticks only.

6) Players move slowly. Foot movement isn't really fast. It's similar to the other ones. But the punching, combinations and other body movement are much quicker.

7) spamming the jab/cross. You seem to be able to rapid fire jabs and crosses in an unrealistic manner. A few times I managed to triple jab, and they really do come out quick, but usually the CPU would slip one and make me pay with a much more damaging shot. I haven't tried spamming crosses, but considering their apparent lack of power and the way the CPU countered me, I think it wouldn't work out in your favor, even if you can do it.

This one will be polarizing for the Fight Night players. It's right up my alley, but I can see why it wouldn't be to other people.

I played the demo a bit last night. I'll only list the issues I had with it.

1. Lack of punch buttons. That's what I used in Rd3 and worked well for me. It'll take me some time to get used to the stick. It's a poor decision, I think. The buttons were very precise but the stick seems to very sensitive to rounded movements.

2. Crosses just seem to be jabs. They have similar speed and you can rapid fire them all day. For a lot of fighters, the right cross is their money punch. Not sure how that would work here. You'd bascially be nullifying a lot of the roster if you properly spec'd out the fighters.

3. Footwook is missing just as before. Lots of fighters got to the top by having amazing footwork. Footwork is essential to setting up punches and combinations. However, the focus of Fight Night seems to be all about what goes on above the torso.

4. Combinations. They need to be a bit more realistic. A jab, cross, left hook, cross combo should be faster than, left hook, right cross, left hook to the body, right upper cut to the head. They're the same speed in the game.

I'm still getting the game but there are some clearly issues that need to be addressed going forward.

I played the demo a bit last night. I'll only list the issues I had with it.

1. Lack of punch buttons. That's what I used in Rd3 and worked well for me. It'll take me some time to get used to the stick. It's a poor decision, I think. The buttons were very precise but the stick seems to very sensitive to rounded movements.

2. Crosses just seem to be jabs. They have similar speed and you can rapid fire them all day. For a lot of fighters, the right cross is their money punch. Not sure how that would work here. You'd bascially be nullifying a lot of the roster if you properly spec'd out the fighters.

3. Footwook is missing just as before. Lots of fighters got to the top by having amazing footwork. Footwork is essential to setting up punches and combinations. However, the focus of Fight Night seems to be all about what goes on above the torso.

4. Combinations. They need to be a bit more realistic. A jab, cross, left hook, cross combo should be faster than, left hook, right cross, left hook to the body, right upper cut to the head. They're the same speed in the game.

I'm still getting the game but there are some clearly issues that need to be addressed going forward.

I'm not sure they'll ever get the footwork right.

Looks like it should use the photo game face feature on the EA Sportsworld website. You make a photo game face on the website and it becomes available to you in the game. I guess other titles have used this, but there is an add for "Photo Game Face 3D Beta" on the website, which I'm guessing will show up in time for Round 4.

My understanding is you do a profile picture, a straight on picture, an angled pictured and then you match up some points on the photos and you get a computer generated face. Takes a while, but might be worth it for those that sit there and spend hours trying to make their fighter look they do in real life. I am one of those people ;)

Some really cool collision detection ...

http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/video/5596909

I throw a right to the body as he leans into my. My right arm goes between his left arm and his body. I immediately pull into a high guard and start leaning back. You can see how my right glove, which is underneath his left arm, pulls up and starts pulling his arm towards my body. His arm straightens out and works free as I lean back. You barely see some of this stuff while you're playing because it happens so fast, but when you look at the instant replay, there is so much cool interaction going on.

However, if someone pull this off well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_yW...A52A5D861&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=1 I have no interest in Fight Night!

While a realistic boxer would be cool with that, I could see an old school "Punch Ouch" game with that sort of control would be amazing. Translate right/left high/low and special punches (upper cuts, speed bag, lunging punch, etc) with dodging left/right, back step, etc it could not only be fun but it could also be marketed as a workout lol The video looks interesting.

Some people are saying this game encourages stick mashing, but I think defense wins even bigger than in previous games.

Between rounds you receive a number of points to spend on health, stamina and healing facial damage. You're awarded points for stuns, knockdowns, percentage landed and percentage avoided.

If both fighters come out swinging shot for shot, one may do more damage than the other, but both fighters will receive roughly the same amount of points to spend between rounds. If you fight defensively, you'll not only receive big bonuses for avoiding your opponents shots, they'll basically receive the standard 12 pts for surviving the round and no much else because their landed % will be too low. Unless of course they're a defensive master and get an avoided bonus as well. You want to keep your connect percentage and avoided percentage as high as possible. Trading shot for shot is too much of a gamble. You can be defensive while fighting inside.

Basically, you want as big a point game between rounds as possible so at the start of each round you'll be at a big advantage in terms of health and stamina. Plus, when you come out swining you're just playing with fire in terms of getting stunned which awards your opponent points, or getting hit with a flash knockdown.

For some reason the video upload is messing up and will only allow extremely short clips. I set this one up with a good counter shot, and then dominated for the knockdown without using any haymakers:

http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/video/5711221

Last edited by a moderator:
My understanding is you do a profile picture, a straight on picture, an angled pictured and then you match up some points on the photos and you get a computer generated face. Takes a while, but might be worth it for those that sit there and spend hours trying to make their fighter look they do in real life. I am one of those people ;)

If it's anything like other recent EA products (from my understanding) it'll be using FaceGen. We used this at my old work, it's seriously cool software :mrgreen: The stored face data is 130 bytes (+ 20kb if you want photo detailing).
It's fun to mess around with too. You can age yourself, change your race, etc :yes:

If it's anything like other recent EA products (from my understanding) it'll be using FaceGen. We used this at my old work, it's seriously cool software :mrgreen: The stored face data is 130 bytes (+ 20kb if you want photo detailing).
It's fun to mess around with too. You can age yourself, change your race, etc :yes:

It would be awesome if your fighter aged during career mode. I'd box until I was 50 in the older games, but you always look the same.

I really didn't like the demo.What went from my most wanted game, I now don't care for it at all.

Having no buttons suck and the TPC setup real bad imo.A haymaker modifier is stupid and makes it control even worse on top of the terrible TPC. + you can't taunt in the game:mad:

I really didn't like the demo.What went from my most wanted game, I now don't care for it at all.

Having no buttons suck and the TPC setup real bad imo.A haymaker modifier is stupid and makes it control even worse on top of the terrible TPC. + you can't taunt in the game:mad:

There's definitely some backlash about the lack of buttons for punching, but it won't take you long to learn the TPC. Haymaker modifer is not a big deal for me. I was hoping they'd remove the haymakers from the game entirely. They've been toned down dramatically, so you really won't be throwing many in a fight anyway. Taunts would be alright, I guess, but the addition of the push is far more useful and relevant to boxing.

demo is up for Gold Live! users

tried it out this am, not bad but the side scrolling perspective does not do it for me... I was hoping for an enhanced first person mode

Back