Fight Night Round 4

I wonder if they'll be using Euphoria :love:

I hope so!

"Developed by EA Canada, Fight Night Round 4 promises that "no fight will be the same.""

Boxing games have always suffered because they punches don't look like they carry real impact. Fight Night Round 3 looks pretty good until they show you the slow-mo replays. The replays make all the punches look weak, despite the contortion in the faces.

I'll also be glad to see the elimination of the canned animations they used in Round 2 that reappeared in Round 3. Huge disappointment.

Mike Tyson included! Now add Floyd Mayweather Jr. PLEASE!

Floyd will price himself out. Mike Tyson needs the money.

I'm not sure how they license the fighters. I'm not sure if they deal with the promoters the fighters are under contract with, or if they deal with the fighters on an individual basis. It's too bad there isn't a boxing league.

Don King fighters will probably stay away from this because he has his own game coming.

Yeah, the one year in between FN2 and FN3 was clearly not enough (especially with the shift in console generations). It's a shame the original studio that handled the series was shut down. Given 3 more years to refine a new game would have been good, I would think.

I wonder if FN4 is well into development already or if they're barely starting...

I wonder if FN4 is well into development already or if they're barely starting...

"The game engine is being completely re-written to allow for greater boxer diversity and "rough and tumble" inside fighting. "

If it's really being re-written from the ground up and it's coming in 2009, I'd think they must be some ways into development.

Floyd will price himself out. Mike Tyson needs the money.

I'm not sure how they license the fighters. I'm not sure if they deal with the promoters the fighters are under contract with, or if they deal with the fighters on an individual basis. It's too bad there isn't a boxing league.

Don King fighters will probably stay away from this because he has his own game coming.

I hope not. Would love to see how they implement the shoulder roll into the game!

I hope not. Would love to see how they implement the shoulder roll into the game!

Yeah, the only other boxer I can think of that uses it now is James Toney, but he's so far past his prime and so irrelevant that it's not even funny.

Maybe they'll have Pernel Whitaker or some other classic fighter that used it.

I really hope they change parrying. That shit is not boxing. Nobody drops their hands for five seconds because their jab got "parried."

Yeah, the one year in between FN2 and FN3 was clearly not enough (especially with the shift in console generations).

Huh?

FN3's sales were phenomenal by any measurement but truly spectacular for a sub genre thats not big on any platform. Unit sales across all platforms placed FN3 10th in NPD's top selling games for consoles and handheld for 2006.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really hope they change parrying. That shit is not boxing. Nobody drops their hands for five seconds because their jab got "parried."

Yeah it was easily the worst feature in the game that and the over exaggeration of the haymakers.

I hope they make parrying and punching more natural. Where parrying creates split second openings and power is based on how far you pull the stick back and not simply some supermove.

I would love a power/speed system based on range of motion where any boxers regardless of style and ratings could somewhat control the speed and power of their punching.

Huh?

FN3's sales were phenomenal by any measurement but truly spectacular for a sub genre thats not big on any platform. Unit sales across all platforms placed FN3 10th in NPD's top selling games for consoles and handheld for 2006.

I'm not talking about sales... rather spit and polish to deal with other issues or using old tech (e.g. animations or other gameplay issues).

I'm not talking about sales... rather spit and polish to deal with other issues or using old tech (e.g. animations or other gameplay issues).

I see. I agree with you on that point. However, I don't think it more spit and polish but more meat and potatoes work that was needed. The most glaring difference between FN2 and FN3 is that the career mode took a big step backwards. No rankings sucked badly.

Yeah it was easily the worst feature in the game that and the over exaggeration of the haymakers.

I hope they make parrying and punching more natural. Where parrying creates split second openings and power is based on how far you pull the stick back and not simply some supermove.

I would love a power/speed system based on range of motion where any boxers regardless of style and ratings could somewhat control the speed and power of their punching.

There's some vid on ign with one of the devs/producers(?) and he said that the control scheme would be slightly tweaked to simplify controls but also allow for more precise control. Maybe you'll get your wish.

They also said instead of plain hit and miss with punches, there would be a broad range of connects allowed by their physics system, so you can have varying degrees of glancing blows etc. Hopefully that means hit detection is greatly improved.

Sounds the shoulder roll should be possible and very simple. If leaning away from shots causes less damage, and the movement can cause a glancing, then the shoulder roll is pretty much available to any fighter that's using a stance like the philly shell.

I'm really hoping that with varying degrees of punch connects, and the expectation that players will block and move to create glancing blows, that a full on straight or cross on the chin from a fighter with heavy heavy hands can be a flash knockdown. Felix Trinidad won't be in the game, I'm sure, but you should be able to make a fighter like him that throws fast straight rights and knock guys on their ass. In the other games you really had to rely on accumulation of blows, or insanely slow and telegraphed (unrealistic) haymakers to put a guy down. I want to be Ernie Shavers and be able to end a fight with one perfect shot. I hate in the other games that you can never end a fight on the first knockdown, unless it's in the late rounds and the opponent is battered and dead tired, which is still rare. I want a realistic difficulty setting that will allow for round1 kos on a perfect single shot, if you make a mistake to get hit by it.

They did say they were trying a game that would take very few departures from realism. Hopefully that means the parry and haymaker systems are gone.

They did say they were trying a game that would take very few departures from realism. Hopefully that means the parry and haymaker systems are gone.

It must be more real like:cry:

I loved how parry and haymaker worked and makes it much more of a game.

It must be more real like:cry:

I loved how parry and haymaker worked and makes it much more of a game.

I'm more of a boxing purist, because I enjoy the sport. I want it to be like the fights I've watched. I can see how people who are not fans of the sport would enjoy the parrying and haymakers.

I'm more of a boxing purist, because I enjoy the sport. I want it to be like the fights I've watched. I can see how people who are not fans of the sport would enjoy the parrying and haymakers.

Agreed. The parry system is too over powered and the parry movement is over exaggerated. Countering punching from a roll or bob/weave would lead to a much bigger opening on the opponent. The haymakers are just silly.

Back