Fight Night Round 4

Good call on the footwork. It would be nice to be able to get use proper lateral movement and counter punching. Oh btw, Goldie finally retired......plenty of time to work on his fishnet poses now!

Yeah, he should have retired after Mayweather. You can't fight so infrequently and stay on top of your game, especially in a sport with such a high physical toll.

We'll have to fight when this one is out. I'll probably preorder to get the early demo, whenever that is supposed to be.

That's a perfect demo esp considering the big hype around the May 2nd fight between Manny and Ricky. Well done, Marketing team! Have they confirmed Floyd Jr. yet? :(

I was watching Mike Tyson's greatest hits the other night (saw about 15 whole fights in a little over an hour). What I noticed in his career leading up to the championship is that he was lightning fast. I'd seen that performance from him in sparring sessions and practice, but never in the ring after he'd gotten title famous.

I'd love to be able to play as that guy, but in a balanced fighting game, he'd be the unbalanced, unbeatable guy that should only be available as an unlockable. This young pro Tyson was taking blows to the head that would knock out human beings and still held his bearings well enough to score a knockout with surgical precision seconds later.

That's a perfect demo esp considering the big hype around the May 2nd fight between Manny and Ricky. Well done, Marketing team! Have they confirmed Floyd Jr. yet? :(

Don't think they've confirmed Floyd Jr. yet, but you can be Sergio Mora, which is close enough ;)

They just announced the base fighting styles on the producers blog. There are 8 basic styles, with 3 blocking styles and 3 punching styles, if my understanding is correct. On top of that, you can choose you can choose a best punch to give it a boost. Their example is the Frazier left hook. That's a pretty nice touch.

Conventional Boxer: A boxer that sticks to the fundamentals and tries to set things up with the jab.
Unconventional Boxer: A boxer that eschews the fundamentals for a more dynamic approach.
Slugger: A roughhouse power puncher that likes to throw bombs, thinks the best defense is a good offense.
Brawler: Another power puncher, but one that shows more defensive ability.
Counter Puncher: A slippery, in-the-pocket defensive style fighter.
Boxer Puncher: A boxer that takes a conventional approach to setting up his big punches at medium distance.
Inside Fighter: A close range boxer-puncher that moves his head and tries to control the ring and work the body.
Outside Fighter: A stick and move fighter that focuses on keeping the opponent at the end of their punches.

http://blog.fightnight.easports.com/

One thing I missed at first was the mention of creating a boxer and importing them into Legacy as an opponent. That's pretty cool.

http://insideblog.easports.com/archive/2009/04/30/a-closer-look-at-graphics-art-director-blog.aspx

Some interesting info about body types, muscles and faces is Round 4.

I preordered to get the early demo access. I guess it will be two weeks of demo play before general release, but neither is out yet.

I hope you can have several "careers" going at once, instead of having one fighter at a time and having to retire them before you can start a new one. I want to make a fighter that looks like me, but I'll name him White Gorilla, and he'll be short with a fat James Toney body, and the longest arms I can possibly give him.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing I noticed is they have Teddy Atlas doing commentary! Basically it's the Friday Night Fights team.

I think there aren't many Fight Night fans on this forum ;)

Well maybe not many that is able to keep up with you, I like the games, but I don't know much about boxing except for getting hit in the face when paying around with some gloves :)

But love Manny Pacquiao, guess I am bias with pinoy roots ;)

I loved FN R3. Never cared for the career mode (any career mode for that matter), but I really liked fighting the CPU opponents. I will definitely get FN R4, but I doubt I'll fight Scott, Robert, or Timberwolf because I'll likely get my ass handed to me.

I'll fight Josh anyday though. Pretty sure I can beat a mouse/keyboard cheater (er player) in a console boxing game. :) (god I hope I don't have to eat those words)

NRP, NRP, NRP... tsk tsk tsk. I haven't played a boxing game any significant time since the ol' Mike Tysons but FNR3 was tempting. This looks like a step forward but I would wait for reviews as this sounds like a game with a fast turn around with a new studio. What they showed looked good, but I would want to know if anything was broken, balance, online lag, etc. What they showed looked good if not a tad slow and they did not speak much, or show much, about footwork which is essential. The distance game and ability to go inside/outside looked solid though. Not quite sure what dignified a glancing blow versus a direct hit as some glances were knockouts and vice versa (strong connections not). I am curious if there are straight up one hit knockouts.

I have been saving my gaming dollars... with CoD4:2, ODST, Madden 10, maybe FM3, etc coming I will have to be selective. But if this gets good reviews and the group gets it (AND is willing to do a number of "weekend tournies") then yeah, I will let you bloody my boxer. ;) /me programs rapid fire into his keyboard errrr gamepad!

I don't think footwork will play much of a role in the game, other than keeping yourself away from the ropes. There really wasn't a good way to side step a punch in the earlier games, and there doesn't look to be in this one. You can circle an opponent, but I'm not really sure that it helps you keep away from their power hand, or whatever it is you're trying to do. There was definitely one weird glancing blow in the vid that scored a knockdown. It barely looked like the punch connected. Hopefully that is a rarity, or will be completely corrected. There are some game play vids of people doin' a Cotto vs Chavez match, where the punch connects look good. All of the earlier games had flash knockdowns, so I think this one will probably have them to. Usually it would only happen if the punchers power was vastly higher than the opponents chin stat, or if the guy gettin' hit had a lot of facial damage. They haven't talked about stats in this one yet.

LOL! Hey Josh. Where have you been? Seems like the only way to get you to come out of hiding is to throw down the gauntlet. :)

LOL! Hey Josh. Where have you been? Seems like the only way to get you to come out of hiding is to throw down the gauntlet. :)

I was wondering the same thing about you. Rumor (coughtimberworlfcough) was you were tiring of my leet Halo skills and were no longer playing with us :p

Anyhow, school and family have taken their normal priorities. Some weekends I can get on, others not. I may work a week night in soon, we will see. Just b-u-s-y and trying to finish a big project in 2009. Not to mention trying to find a capable MySQL/PHP dev to do some work on the cheap for my wife's site... too... busy! Although the fall lineup looks like it may require a month furlough ;)

http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=1130

"Round 4 features an Online World Championship mode, where you take your fighter online to compete on a level playing field where stats are no longer a factor in the fight, and where button mashing isn't an option. In an effort to squelch the dubious advantage given to people who used the button control scheme instead of the stick in Fight Night Round 3, the Total Punch Control scheme is the only available control option online in Round 4."

Wicked. I'm going to get my ass kicked, but I'll do it anyway. It's interesting that stats don't matter. There will still be the differences in height, reach and styles (punch, block, stance). I wonder if it is split into different divisions by weight with multiple titles etc? Will you be able to move up and down in weight classes?

Hopefully there will be reasonable physical limits for each weight class. You know, you shouldn't be able to make a 6'8" light weight or something. EA ran into some problems in NHL 09 with the goalie, because you could set him to 6'8" and 275lbs, and just sit in the middle of the net and stop everything. Eventually they capped it, and I think they might have made the goalie less agile if you made him big.

Last edited by a moderator:
Demo is now available to anyone that preordered ... I guess it won't be a productive weekend for me. Stay tuned for my impressions when I race home at lunch. ha ha ha! Demo is available for everyone else on May 28th.

Back