Japan goes, "Wiiiiiii!"

Refreshment said:
Come on Teasy, you know Guden is right. This stuff almost always turns out different. Just look at the famitsu top ten as potencial sales measure.

I didn't even get into the subject of how reliable the poll was, I was explaining why the DS got such a low vote....

But if you want to know my opinion about the poll. While it won't be 100% obviously there will be quite a bit of truth in there.

Last edited by a moderator:
drpepper said:
Don't you mean you get out often? :)

Sorry for off topicness.

eh tometo tomato ...

I saw another article on this topic at next gen who think that the Japanese will buy both a wii and ps3. I can't see them doing both at this time with a TCO of >$800. I can see them getting a wii at launch (MUCH stronger lineup) and a ps3 "when its cheap enough".

dantruon said:
it is still stupid to infer anything from a small sample size like that to the whole population of the gaming public in japan.

Correct me if my math is wrong, but assuming a random sample there's a 99% chance of the true percentage being within +/- 7%

Deadly Towers said:
Correct me if my math is wrong, but assuming a random sample there's a 99% chance of the true percentage being within +/- 7%

yep, you are wrong , go back and revise statistical inference and especially hypothesis testing and calculating the probability of type 2 error.

dantruon said:
yep, you are wrong , go back and revise statistical inference and especially hypothesis testing and calculating the probability of type 2 error.

I am not sure anyone is argueing this is a comprehensive or perfect poll. It is afterall an online poll which raises some red flags to begin with.

That said, in the past Famitsu polls have reflected reality with Sony firmly established in the driver's seat. In the least the poll indicates the a segment of Japanese Famitsu readers have had a change of heart.

On the other hand out right dismissing the results would be dismissing the number of relevant points and concerns about the PS3 and the market attraction of Wii.

Like I said in the first post "Very small sample size and it looks kind of odd" but considering the factors involved and Nintendo's E3 showing I do not doubt that, in the least, Nintendo went from a very (very!) distance 2nd in Japan to an interesting competitor, at least for the 2006 holiday season.

All the Famitsu poll does is affirm that within certain demographics that there has been a change in heart toward Nintendo and re-affirming what we already knew (that most consumers think the PS3 is expensive). The numbers themselves are not totally relevant, just what they are saying.

Acert93 said:
I am not sure anyone is argueing this is a comprehensive or perfect poll. It is afterall an online poll which raises some red flags to begin with.

That said, in the past Famitsu polls have reflected reality with Sony firmly established in the driver's seat. In the least the poll indicates the a segment of Japanese Famitsu readers have had a change of heart.

I just can't understand how a poll on Famitsu website (which I have tought is rather large website for japanese people) can only get 294 votes in four days?! To me that sounds very low.

Dr Evil said:
I just can't understand how a poll on Famitsu website (which I have tought is rather large website for japanese people) can only get 294 votes in four days?! To me that sounds very low.

Yeah I don't get it either. Go to Gamespot right now and notice that they have thousands of votes on every topic.

Acert93 said:

On the other hand out right dismissing the results would be dismissing the number of relevant points and concerns about the PS3 and the market attraction of Wii.

Like I said in the first post "Very small sample size and it looks kind of odd" but considering the factors involved and Nintendo's E3 showing I do not doubt that, in the least, Nintendo went from a very (very!) distance 2nd in Japan to an interesting competitor, at least for the 2006 holiday season.

All the Famitsu poll does is affirm that within certain demographics that there has been a change in heart toward Nintendo and re-affirming what we already knew (that most consumers think the PS3 is expensive). The numbers themselves are not totally relevant, just what they are saying.

You want to know another reason why the survey is a waste of time and the conclusions drawn are invalid? The sample is Self Selected, so only people who have a very strong view on the issue will bother to do the survey. So again, my point is that the sample is too small, self selected and you tell that to a statistician and (s)he will tell you that whatever the conclusion is, it is invalid and misleading.

dantruon said:
You want to know another reason why the survey is a waste of time and the conclusions drawn are invalid? The sample is Self Selected, so only people who have a very strong view on the issue will bother to do the survey. So again, my point is that the sample is too small, self selected and you tell that to a statistician and (s)he will tell you that whatever the conclusion is, it is invalid and misleading.

I remember that argument when surveys about the ds vs psp in japan favored the underdog ds. Sony might kick the hell out of everyone in japan but there is a chance with a low price and unique games that wii might put a big dent in the sony domination of japan. Lets be honest the japan market is really different and people there really love strange unique games. If the wii can get content the casual japan gamer loves like they did with dogs, wario ware and brain training for the ds sony could be in for 1 hell of a fight. Lets be honest how many here thought the ds would even sell 1/3 of what the psp did when they were launched? The markets might be different but this is an almost exact copy of the ds vs psp fight. The wii has a unique controll interface and will be 1/2 to 1/3 the price of the ps3 just like the ds had the unique control and was 1/2 the price of the psp. Heck the ps3 even has lots of non-gaming uses like the psp while the wii is pretty much a gaming machine like the ds. Sony will probably win the fight but nintendo has a punchers chance in japan with all the momentum they are gaining from the ds. Nintendo is the hot name again in the gaming community thanks to the ds. Look at the sales charts even though there is what 3x-4x or more ps2s in japan compared to the ds who has most of the top 10 game sales.

Last edited by a moderator:
dantruon said:

The same things can be said about all the other Famitsu polls, which we are comparing it with...

Joystiq goes Wiiiiiiiiiiiiii60. link

As of this moment:
Code:
PS3 and Wii                8%      1,048
Xbox 360 and Wii           46%     5,934
PS3 and Xbox 360           2%      258
Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii     6%      791
Wii                        27%     3,503
PS3                        5%      601
Xbox 360                   6%      791

12,926 votes total

Platon said:
The same things can be said about all the other Famitsu polls, which we are comparing it with...

two wrong dont make a right, if the conclusion from this surveyed are invalids then comparing it to another invalid conclusion from another surveyed is very fallacious.

While we are posting statistics, rpgamer has a similar poll:
How has the recently-revealed pricing of the PS3 ($500-$600) affected your plans to purchase one?

I'm still getting one, but not until the price drops dramatically.
58.35%

I'm still getting one on launch day! Nothing will stop me!
18.62%

I changed my mind; I'll settle for a 360 and/or a Wii instead.
11.93%

I was never going to get one and I'm still not going to.
7.86%

I wasn't going to get one at first, but gosh-darnit the great new price changed my mind.
3.24%

2658 votes
Though sadly this one doesn't show who buys multiple consoles. From the last poll there I would conclude that many PS3 buyers also plan on getting a Wii.

Back