XBox Ultimate Game Sales, Summer of Arcade

RobertR1

Pro
Legend
It's that time. Last year was awesome with Braid, Castle Crashers and Geometry Wars2.

This year seems to be ever more awesomer.

July 22: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles™: Turtles in Time Re-shelled | 1200 Microsoft Points

(Ubisoft Singapore®/Ubisoft®): Cowabunga! Marking the franchise’s 25 anniversary, everyone's favorite Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game is back with a brand new look in “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time Re-Shelled”. The arcade classic has been revamped with all new 3D graphics, but retains the classic beat 'em up gameplay that made it so popular.

July 29: Marvel vs. Capcom 2 | 1200 Microsoft Points

(Backbone Entertainment/Capcom): One of the most popular fighting games of all time, “Marvel vs. Capcom 2”, arrives worldwide on Xbox LIVE Arcade! Choose from 56 legendary characters from Marvel Comics and Capcom history, including legendary warriors such as Ryu and Wolverine. With online multiplayer over Xbox LIVE and enhanced HD graphics, choose your own perfect squad and do battle in the ultimate tag-team fighting experience.

August 5: Splosion Man™ | 800 Microsoft Points

(Twisted Pixel Games/Microsoft): Fools they were, to tread where knowledge should stay forbidden. For what emerged was not a man - it was a Splosion Man™."And all who saw him were 'sploded, for he was the fire and they were but meat."Able to 'splode himself at will, the Splosion Man launches his way through the game with an uncontainable force. From Twisted Pixel Games, developer of the award winning The Maw™, Splosion Man will keep you on your toes as you play through more than 50 single-player levels and 50 multiplayer levels. Nominated by GameSpy, Gamespot, IGN, and 411mania, this meat-riddled 'splosion-fest took several Best of E3 awards including Best Platformer and Best Downloadable Game.

August 12: Trials HD | 1200 Microsoft Points

(RedLynx/Microsoft): Nominated for GameSpy’s Best Downloadable Game of E3 award, “Trials HD” is guaranteed to get your heart racing! Put on your helmet, grab your bike and rev your way through a full-featured, physics-based motorcycle racing platformer with stunning HD graphics. Tear up more than 50 tracks and test your mettle in two unique game modes: Race and Skill. Create, share and download an unlimited number of free tracks with the level editor, and customize your rider to fit your personality.

August 19: Shadow Complex | 1200 Microsoft Points

(Chair Entertainment and Epic Games/Microsoft): Winner of numerous Best of E3 awards including Best Downloadable Game from 1UP, IGN, GameTrailers and G4TV, “Shadow Complex” is the next evolution in downloadable games, marrying the quality and depth of a full retail game with classic side-scrolling gameplay and the stunning visuals of Epic Games’ industry-leading Unreal Engine 3. Set in the world of Orson Scott Card’s best-selling novel, “Empire,” Shadow Complex provides more than 10 hours of in-depth gameplay and introduces a compelling universe in which you collect items and power-ups, and evolve your character into a force of destruction.
And this doesn't include BF1943 or Monkey Island next week.

Shadow Complex, TMNT and Splosion man are must buys. Kinda burned out on fighters after SF4 and to an extent Fight Night Round 4 so might wait on that. I'll demo Trials HD first and read reviews on how much content there is. The biggest surpise and the coolest one so far for me seems to be Splosion man. Check out the vid of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmNPMXR_J9o

MOD: Move to console games please. Thanks.

Great, after the ones I want come (Splosion and SC, thanks for the vid!), freshmen year starts. Cruel. :LOL:

BTW, Worms 2 is also considered into the Summer of Arcade right?

Trials HD looks awesome! Splosion Man might be a good platformer, but Trials looks real good. Someone needs to make a good side scrolling Excitebike clone with graphics like that.

BTW you can actually try the PC version, Trials 2. I did and it wasn't what I expected. Definitely NOT Excitebite-ish easy. :LOL:

The most amusing part of Trials is the many ways the slippery controls lead you to your death. I wasn't that impressed even though in every aspect it was quite polished and deep.

What's so awesome about 4/5 of the titles costing 1200 MS Points? Sucks if you ask me. There's only one title I'd even consider at 800 MS Points. Seems like MS is making XBLA pricier just to put some distance between them & Indie Games.

Tommy McClain

What is this 'Summer of Arcade'? I assumed it was deals on existing games, but from the sound of it, it's more a packed release schedule at normal price. What's the usual release schedule like?

About the same, these are just high-profile games. I think last Summer of Arcade was the one with Braid, Bionic Commando: Rearmed, Castle Crashers and something I'm probably forgetting. Rez HD? If so, shame on me, that's something I actually bought.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is this 'Summer of Arcade'? I assumed it was deals on existing games, but from the sound of it, it's more a packed release schedule at normal price. What's the usual release schedule like?

The only thing regular about Live Arcade titles is that they release at least one title every Wednesday. They've had special weeks where they have released 2 or 3 at a time. However, last year was the 1st "Summer of Arcade" promotion. It was an event to put 5 very high quality/high profile games out 1 week after each other. I don't consider this year's titles of being of same profile as last year's, but evidently MS does as there are more at the $15 price point than last year.

Tommy McClain

I didn't know Trials HD would have level editor. That makes it a definite purchase. Also, will get Splosion Man and Shadow Complex.

What's so awesome about 4/5 of the titles costing 1200 MS Points? Sucks if you ask me. There's only one title I'd even consider at 800 MS Points. Seems like MS is making XBLA pricier just to put some distance between them & Indie Games.

Tommy McClain

Shadow Complex seems to be a pretty high budget game. I can see the $15 behind it. Spolsion is 800pts btw so clearly the developer has some say in pricing. MvC2 is likely more of a Capcom decision.

I agree that TMNT should be 800 but I'm sure it's more to do with milking a well knows remake. I'll have to see some more info on Trials HD to see what they put in there to justify the cost.

Trials HD is sebbbi's game, right?

Yes, it's the game we have been doing since last summer. I am the lead programmer and graphics engine programmer of the project.

A quickly made graphics engine checklist:
- Deferred renderer highly optimized for Xbox 360 architecture
- Locked always 60 fps (frames per second) tearless (vsynched) graphics output
- Floating point high dynamic range (HDR) rendering
- Real time per pixel phong lighting from all light sources
- All objects and scenery cast dynamic (ESM) soft shadows
- Sophisticated 12 channel per pixel material system
- Parallax mapping on all surfaces
- Anisotropic filtering on all surfaces
- Tone mapping emulating eye iris adjustment to lighting conditions
- Post process filters: depth of field and overexposure light bloom
- Advanced GPU powered particle engine (up to 10k+ particles per frame)
- Particle per pixel lighting, dynamic shadows and proper depth ordering
- Custom made material and geometry compression algorithms

Trailer at gametrailers: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/debut-trailer-trials-hd/52109
Direct link to 720p/60fps wmv trailer: http://download.redlynxtrials.com/video/trialshd/TrialsHD-Trailer-720.wmv

Screenshots: http://www.redlynxgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1440 (Gamma seems to be really dark on Firefox 3.5, but works fine on other browsers)

I didn't know Trials HD would have level editor. That makes it a definite purchase.

Trials HD includes the same level editor we used to create all the game levels. It has over 100 different physics objects and all the physics constraints and joints (various hinge, point-to-point, slider, ball-and-socket, etc). The game uses a modified Bullet Physics engine version we in-house optimized for Xbox 360 architecture and vector units. We also have level sharing between friends using Xbox Live servers.

Wow, did not know Shadow Complex was August 19. Between that and the Gears 2 DLC July 28 looks like I'll have some new stuff to play soon.

Sebbi,

Are you planning to have an online setup for custom tracks? As in, you can download other people's track and rate them? It'd be cool to check out custom tracks, rate them and have an online community for it with diff sections such as "most played, top rated, newest tracks."

Back