FIFA and Pro Evolution Soccer 6 from Konami exclusive to XB360 for 12 months

He expects to ship next-gen PS3-version before summer.

That's why Konami issued that PR.
They could have worded it better than that! And if MS have been dishonest, with PES due in 6 months and not a year, I'd even say Sony have a cause to sue. If they feel customers may be turned away from PS3 due to wanting next-gen PES before Autumn 07, that's lost earnings based on false marketting.

They could have worded it better than that! And if MS have been dishonest, with PES due in 6 months and not a year, I'd even say Sony have a cause to sue. If they feel customers may be turned away from PS3 due to wanting next-gen PES before Autumn 07, that's lost earnings based on false marketting.

I get the feeling Seabass is talking about Winning Eleven 11, which is not PES6.

This would of been more significant if they had this deal, this time next year instead, ALOT of europeans ( me includid ) are still gonna go out and buy the PS2/XB1 version of the game. Microsoft really need'd to have got this deal next year were it would do more damage to PS3.

This is very naughty by MS and they should be taken to task. That's why PR speak avoids specific, unambiguous information! By setting a time frame of '12 months' MS are guilty of actually 'lying' rather than 'being vague and some people getting the wrong idea'. Could be a misunderstanding on MS's part (maybe Konami told them when asked that PS3's version would be around this year and they took that to mean 12 months and didn't ask for clarification), but they'll have to come out and say as much.

To me FIFA/PES serie isn't that big deal which console gets it (although PES is definately the best soccer(football) game ever and its a blast to play with friends. However I have never wanted to buy any sport games unless they are 20€, then I could do it.

That being said, I find this kinda annoying (not too much though) that MS goes to say something like this, its not really good PR for them and probably hurts theyr relations in Japan. What do you think? Will this have negative impact on the relations with MS and Japanese developers? Its not like they will drop support because of this but how happy are they to be working with Microsoft if Microsoft goes its own way and happens to hurt theyr relationships while at it? (Sony comes to mind) Just like its been stated in the 1up article.

“We’re very pleased to be bringing the next-generation edition of Pro Evolution Soccer 6 exclusively to Xbox 360 until late summer 2007. The power of Xbox 360 takes our critically-acclaimed franchise to new heights of realism, playability, and fun. We know true football fans will enjoy the new experiences that Pro Evolution Soccer 6 on Xbox 360 will offer.â€￾
Different possibilties -
  • PES 6 is exclusive, which doesn't exclude PES 6.5 or PES 2007 or some such
  • PES is exclusive but Winning Eleven isn't. WE launches in Japan earlier than the European PES. Thus the game is coming to PS3 in say 6 months, but won't be available in Europe under the PES name for 12 months. The announcement was aimed at the European market only at this European conference.
The second one seems most plausible to me, satisfying both the announcement of exclusivity, and the statements from Konami and Takatsuka.

Different possibilties -
  • PES 6 is exclusive, which doesn't exclude PES 6.5 or PES 2007 or some such
  • PES is exclusive but Winning Eleven isn't. WE launches in Japan earlier than the European PES. Thus the game is coming to PS3 in say 6 months, but won't be available in Europe under the PES name for 12 months. The announcement was aimed at the European market only at this European conference.
The second one seems most plausible to me, satisfying both the announcement of exclusivity, and the statements from Konami and Takatsuka.

That may be but as the PS3 is region free what's stopping European football fans from importing Winning Eleven?

Looking at all the correspondences from Konami, I'd say there's no business arrangement for 12 month PES exclusivity.

PES 6 is avail to Xbox 360 until Summer 2007 (according to Hans-Joachim Amann's quote). As Shifty pointed out, the next PES (or Winning 11), version number unknown, may be available for PS3 before Summer 2007. We may hear more from the Konami team in TGS. Meanwhile there is still the PS2 version (online enabled).

Poor team probably getting grilled by Konami and Sony management now. If this is accurate, Konami will likely become more suspicious of MS PR activities in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is all very silly. Sure Microsoft played with the wording a bit but the gist of the situation is that they get the next generation versions of both PES and EA's travesty of a game for the best part of a year in Europe. North America is irrelevant when it comes to these titles and Japan is too since the Xbox brand is dead there.

Even if it’s by default it’s a win for them. Microsoft needs positive news like this for them in Europe since the 360 has been doing relatively poorly here. It’s not going to tip things in their favour in any major way but it can’t hurt them at all. It will be a good boost.

However since both titles will be on PS2 this will not hurt Sony in any major way. Most people who buy these games will get them on PS2. Even without these titles PS3 will be sold out for a good 6 months or so after launch in Europe. As demand slackens the new PES and FIFA should be ready for PS3 in Europe sometime next year, I’m sure with region free some WE enthusiasts may well import it from Japan before then.

I presume a Japanese interface that none of us can read ;)

What if developers start to do the same as Insomniac is doing? Add the voice/texts for the main languages to the BR disc? :)

Then again, some games would probably take long time to do this (Final fantasy comes to mind).

That would be great for gamers and thwart the 'exclusive to XB360 in the EU' situation, but until we know that for sure, the 'EU next-gen exclusive for 12 months' seems to stand.

I heard the PS2-version of PES6 is the one to get anyway as it supports 8 players online over only 1 on 1 on the xbox 360.

Back