FIFA and Pro Evolution Soccer 6 from Konami exclusive to XB360 for 12 months

A guy at the press confrence posting stuff from his laptop.

So give it a little while to see if the major sites pick up on this.

Chris Lewis is the XB360 European boss.

We already knew they weren't coming to PS3 this year, the news is that MS has it on paper now as opposed to it being a default exclusive..

I don't think there'll ever be a FIFA 07 game for PS3, due to the late year launch of the console. It's likely they just skip it and launch FIFA 08 instead

As for PES6, didn't they already announce it at E3 for PS2, PSP, DS, PC and xbox360.
The PS3 wasn't on that list then either.
Does the rumour indicate that PS2, PSP, DS and PC versions have been delayed 12 months due to the xbox360 timed exclusivity?

Edit: Ok, It does say "next gen exclusivity", so it's still coming to PS2, PSP, DS and PC too... so you can buy the PS2 version for PS3 (and possibly play it upscaled) ;)
Hmm, so now it's FIFA 360??? WIll there be a Fifa 2007 too??

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't know this, and I certainly didn't know it would be a full 12 months of exclusivity.

EA confirmed just last week that Fifa wouldn't come til next year (and I believe they'd said it earlier than that too), and I thought it was well known that PES wouldn't hit PS3 til next year also, so it wasn't news to me at least! At that time it seemed to be happening by default, putting off a ps3 version til the next installment, but MS has sealed the deal to make sure of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I can see, what's happening is the next-gen versions haven't been created for PS3 yet, rather than MS securing exclusives which is what I thought was being said. EA have mentioned FIFA is coming for PS3 next year, but I don't know that a date's been given. As these games are released annually, it makes sense that it won't be for about a year. Likewise PES, which is still coming out for PS2 this year. It sounds like PES is more of an improved graphics port than real next-gen game the way Eurogamer have spoken of it's appearance, but we'll have to wait and see.

So there's a delay until PS3 gets either football title, but maybe it's not as huge a deal as I first thought as it wasn't originally likely that these titles would appear on PS3 before the latter end of '07.

If we consider European Football games like FIFA and Pro Evolution to be the equivilent of North American John Madden football, this does effect the equation of wanting XB360 for some next-gen console buyers in the European market.

I really can't imagine a system launching in America without John Madden Football.

The power in the exclusive deal is in the overall context of what the XB360 will be offering the European market this holiday season. You have lower hardware price, an exclusive AAA title in Gears of War, and you offer European Football games.

Is it an exclusive deal? I thought it was just the fact neither EA or Konami are releasing for PS3, rather than MS buying exclusivity.

Well, that was the case, but it seems MS stepped in and made it in some way official so they could beat their chests about it. I doubt there was money involved, though, it'd be pretty silly to pay for something that was happening anyway.

Will the games come out on PS2 ?

I think the exclusive aspect is just for next-gen platforms like XB360 and PS3.

XB360 will offer 3 European Football next-gen games

FIFA from EA
Pro Evolution from Konami
Football Manager from SEGA for the hardcore fans

PES6 for X360 = PES6 for PS2 with higher resolution and more AA. Put the PS2 version in PS3 and you have PES6 with higher resolution (1080p) and more AA. So, where is the exclusive deal afterall? :p

I don't think the PSOne, PS2, xbox or Game Cube had football games available at launch, for PS2 I think it was several months before the first (good) football game (i.e. FIFA or PES... ok, ok some may say FIFA's have not been that good, but they're sellers nonetheless....)
That didn't hurt them then, nor do I see a reason it'd hurt for example the PS3 now, especially as you'd still be able to play the graphically slightly worse PS2 versions on it, or if you have the PSP play with it.

WOW, that is a great win for MS specially in Europe, this thing will sell much better here in the next 12 months, I belive.

I don't think the PSOne, PS2, xbox or Game Cube had football games available at launch, for PS2 I think it was several months before the first (good) football game (i.e. FIFA or PES... ok, ok some may say FIFA's have not been that good, but they're sellers nonetheless....)
That didn't hurt them then, nor do I see a reason it'd hurt for example the PS3 now, especially as you'd still be able to play the graphically slightly worse PS2 versions on it, or if you have the PSP play with it.

I'm guessing Pro Evolution for the XB360 is going to offer online play.

XBox LIVE service combined with online gameplay for Pro Evolution is going to have some appeal to gamers.

Back