FIFA and Pro Evolution Soccer 6 from Konami exclusive to XB360 for 12 months

So how is that BS from MS?

If EA didn't have enough time to make the game for this season for the PS3, then what MS said is correct.

They didn't say they paid for exclusivity, they didn't say their system was the only one powerful enough to handle the game, they didn't make any claims at all except those which are true: That if you want to play FIFA07 on a next gen console, you have to own a 360.

Just like if you want to play Madden 2007 at its launch on a next gen console, you'll have to own a 360.

There's nothing BS about it.

...they didn't say their system was the only one powerful enough to handle the game...

Woooooaaah slow down ... I think he clearly said ps3 was the only one powerful enough to handle an extra year of development to enable the insane textures and models which will be in the 2008 version.;)

So how is that BS from MS?

If EA didn't have enough time to make the game for this season for the PS3, then what MS said is correct.

They didn't say they paid for exclusivity, they didn't say their system was the only one powerful enough to handle the game, they didn't make any claims at all except those which are true: That if you want to play FIFA07 on a next gen console, you have to own a 360.

Just like if you want to play Madden 2007 at its launch on a next gen console, you'll have to own a 360.

There's nothing BS about it.

The BS is claming PES exclusive , which it's not apparently

"Exclusive game" was/is an industry jargon, implying business arrangement... until MS overloads it. If it's sanctioned use, why does Konami feel compelled to clarify ?

"Exclusive game" was/is an industry jargon, implying business arrangement... until MS overloads it. If it's sanctioned use, why does Konami feel compelled to clarify ?

Because some people were thinking it was exclusive over all platforms (PS2, PC included) even though MS didn't state that. So Konami clarified.

Wow, got half way through page 3...

What is so hard to understand that the following phrases are not necessarily contradictory:

A - Holiday Exclusive
B - 2006 Exclusive
C - 12 month exclusive

A falls within B; A and B fall within C.

I can see a desire for clarification but some of you guys are jumping down the wrong throats. And instead of getting upset at "misleading" press releases about length, and then bitching about MS "bs", why not ask Sony why they didn't make sure they had a PS3 version ready for launch? When you are a year late to the scene giving your competitor an extra 12 month exclusive period seems pretty slopping.

The BS is claming PES exclusive , which it's not apparently
There was no BS in any of this, except from the journalists if anywhere. The games are (unless FIFA is coming out sooner than 12 months from now for PS3) exclusive to XB360 for the next year making them next-gen exclusives to XB360. What seems misapplied is the idea that MS secured exclusivity with payouts or some sort of deal, which is how this has been reported in some quarters. It looks more like PS3 missed the trick for some reason or other. The FIFA comment seems to suggest they didn't have the SDK or something for long enough, judging from Google's translation and guessing at the missed words

FIFA 07 will not appear from lack of time on PS3: I/O had the PS3-Entwicklungsstationen* available not yet for a long time enough, in order to be able to obtain satisfying results
* What's this? SDK?

There was no BS in any of this, except from the journalists if anywhere. The games are (unless FIFA is coming out sooner than 12 months from now for PS3) exclusive to XB360 for the next year making them next-gen exclusives to XB360. What seems misapplied is the idea that MS secured exclusivity with payouts or some sort of deal, which is how this has been reported in some quarters. It looks more like PS3 missed the trick for some reason or other. The FIFA comment seems to suggest they didn't have the SDK or something for long enough, judging from Google's translation and guessing at the missed words

* What's this? SDK?

yeah

What seems misapplied is the idea that MS secured exclusivity with payouts or some sort of deal, which is how this has been reported in some quarters. It looks more like PS3 missed the trick for some reason or other. The FIFA comment seems to suggest they didn't have the SDK or something for long enough, judging from Google's translation and guessing at the missed words
Microsoft's own Chris Lewis was more than happy to hint that there had been backroom negotiations about the EA deal. I find it hard to believe exclusivity 'fell' into Microsoft's lap by default.

http://www.eurogamer.net/tv_video.php?playlist_id=845&s=l
"As you know, we have a very good relationship with those guys they work very closely with us in any case, and it has been one of these things that we've been talking about for some time as you would expect. Um, so of course there's a lot of work that goes on behind the scenes I'm not going to deny that, but sufficed to say it feels like a very natural thing for both businesses. Which is great."

Microsoft's own Chris Lewis was more than happy to hint that there had been backroom negotiations about the EA deal. I find it hard to believe exclusivity 'fell' into Microsoft's lap by default.

http://www.eurogamer.net/tv_video.php?playlist_id=845&s=l

That sound more like a development aliance more than likely. I wouldn't be surprised if MS sent some programmers over to EA and Konami to help get these games done. Something that Sony obviously wasn't willing to do.

That sound more like a development aliance more than likely. I wouldn't be surprised if MS sent some programmers over to EA and Konami to help get these games done. Something that Sony obviously wasn't willing to do.

You're free to interpret what he said however you want, of couse some interpretations may induce rolleyes more than others... Shifty simply wanted to know why some journalists were talking about 'deals' being made, and it seems Microsoft played its part in implying as much.

You're free to interpret what he said however you want, of couse some interpretations may induce rolleyes more than others... Shifty simply wanted to know why some journalists were talking about 'deals' being made, and it seems Microsoft played its part in implying as much.

Bottom line is it doesn't matter if they alluded to a paid exclusive or not, it is exclusive to 360 until late summer, 12 months from now. Whether it's paid for or not doesn't really matter in the end.

Bottom line is it doesn't matter if they alluded to a paid exclusive or not, it is exclusive to 360 until late summer, 12 months from now. Whether it's paid for or not doesn't really matter in the end.
It doesn't matter to gamers really whether it was a secured exclusive or just happened that way, but for those who are making points like...
...it'd only be fair if it were confirmed MS made an extra effort and Sony just swanned around on their big fat arrogant behinds if such aspersions are to be cast. That interview was pretty open to interpretation. 'Stuff happened in the back room and we think this is a very natural thing for both companies' isn't the most convincing way to say 'we worked hard and paid big bucks to EA to secure this game, same with Konami.' Those statements are open to interpretation and we could (and some may well try to!) argue semantics all day. Add to that an EA spokesperson supposedly saying 'PS3 devkits weren't around earliy enough for us to get good results', it's not clear how much work MS had to do to secure this situation.

IMO it's probably best to just accept it's happened, was looking to be something that may have happened anyway, and if you want to play next-gen football over the next year there's only XB360 to choose from (excepting other less-popular versions).

Because some people were thinking it was exclusive over all platforms (PS2, PC included) even though MS didn't state that. So Konami clarified.

Ok, I already asked about the PS2 part. So I know :)

If there's no business commitment, it also means that anything can happen down the road.

In any case, I think it's great that MS keep its pressure on Sony. I'd hate it if the latter wanders too far off track.

Back