Feb NPD! The 2nd best thing to crack.

they better get that 720 warmed up ;)

Xbox 360 leads in games, with six out of the top 10 best selling console games in February. (February NPD data)

Xbox 360 “Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare” (Activision) was the best-selling console game across all platforms, outselling the PlayStation 3 version by 2:1. (February NPD data)

Xbox 360 has the top selling games on its platform. According to February NPD, Xbox 360 sold $184 million in games, with PS3 selling $97 million and Wii $130 million.

Third party partners find more success on Xbox 360. In February, Xbox 360 accounted for $159 million of all third party game sales this generation, or 45 percent of share. (February NPD data)

Xbox 360 has more games available than any other platform, and more than twice the games available on PS3. (February NPD data)

While I think the 720 comment was facetious at best, those numbers you posted are actually not all that good for Microsoft.

The XBox to date has sold around 13.8 million consoles in the US. The PS3 is only around 6.5. The Wii has sold 14.2 or so. So, relative percentage wise lets look at some of the claims you quoted:

Xbox 360 “Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare” (Activision) was the best-selling console game across all platforms, outselling the PlayStation 3 version by 2:1. (February NPD data)

You mean - exactly like it should have given the install base? That means the attach ratio is similar on both consoles. This type of statement only remains a selling point if the XBox can maintain a large lead over the PS3. If that lead starts to shrink, the ratio shrinks as well.

Xbox 360 has the top selling games on its platform. According to February NPD, Xbox 360 sold $184 million in games, with PS3 selling $97 million and Wii $130 million.

If I were Microsoft, I would have kept this number to myself. Even though they outnumber the PS3 approximately 2.2:1, they still only managed a 1.9:1 sales lead in software. I know they are trying to spin the absolute "bigger is better" - but once again if the PS3 starts showing large sales margins over the XBox this type of number is not good for Microsoft.

Third party partners find more success on Xbox 360. In February, Xbox 360 accounted for $159 million of all third party game sales this generation, or 45 percent of share. (February NPD data)

The XBox represents approximately 38% of the market, so this number is good right?

I actually seriously doubt it given everything else I've heard about third party sales on the Wii. I would expect them to be under 20% of total market share. That means the PS3 would have 35% of third party sales. Once again, if it has an install base of less than half the size of the XBox, you would expect its third party sales to be no more than 22.5%. Basically you have to ask yourself if you believe that the Wii is generating more than 32.5% of third party sales. This number is only good for Microsoft if you believe that they are.

No offense, but this is why I hate the NPD numbers. Both sides come out as their pure fan boy selves at this time with little regard for actually analyzing the numbers. I have said this many times, but the only people disappointed by these numbers are random posters on forums like this.

Sony is happy because their next gen system is finally starting to show some legs. they have established their format as the heir apparent in the physical media side of things, and their previous gen system (the PS2) is still selling extremely well. Microsoft is happy because they have successfully managed to obtain a portion of the console market and their console is finally profitable. Nintendo is happy because their systems are still printing money for them. Like it or not, no one is losing the "console war" that forum goers are so vividly following. I seriously doubt any of the three is disappointed at this point.

While I think the 720 comment was facetious at best, those numbers you posted are actually not all that good for Microsoft.

The XBox to date has sold around 13.8 million consoles in the US. The PS3 is only around 6.5. The Wii has sold 14.2 or so. So, relative percentage wise lets look at some of the claims you quoted:

Actual numbers.

360 9.8 million
PS3 3.8 million
Wii 8.0 million

You mean - exactly like it should have given the install base? That means the attach ratio is similar on both consoles. This type of statement only remains a selling point if the XBox can maintain a large lead over the PS3. If that lead starts to shrink, the ratio shrinks as well.

Individual attach ratios are affected by more than install base.

If I were Microsoft, I would have kept this number to myself. Even though they outnumber the PS3 approximately 2.2:1, they still only managed a 1.9:1 sales lead in software. I know they are trying to spin the absolute "bigger is better" - but once again if the PS3 starts showing large sales margins over the XBox this type of number is not good for Microsoft.

see above

The XBox represents approximately 38% of the market, so this number is good right?

It's not bad to be selling more than your competition is it?

I actually seriously doubt it given everything else I've heard about third party sales on the Wii. I would expect them to be under 20% of total market share. That means the PS3 would have 35% of third party sales. Once again, if it has an install base of less than half the size of the XBox, you would expect its third party sales to be no more than 22.5%. Basically you have to ask yourself if you believe that the Wii is generating more than 32.5% of third party sales. This number is only good for Microsoft if you believe that they are.

You might want to look at GH3 numbers on the wii. There's also a lot of shovelware that adds up. You pulling a number (under 20% for wii) out of your ass doesn't really help anything, if you want to back any of this up with facts please do so. It really wouldn't be very hard for the wii to outsell the ps3 (considering more than double the install base) in 3rd party software, it might not have, but I'm quite sure its closer than your estimate.

No offense, but this is why I hate the NPD numbers. Both sides come out as their pure fan boy selves at this time with little regard for actually analyzing the numbers. I have said this many times, but the only people disappointed by these numbers are random posters on forums like this.

There are some people who really don't have a clue whats going on and they like to show it. It was a good month for all 3 consoles under the given conditions.

Quote:
You mean - exactly like it should have given the install base? That means the attach ratio is similar on both consoles.

not really, no.

this info was for February only and this game is in its 4th month on this chart and you can quite reasonably assume that the game at this point, is selling mostly to new HW owners, so while it sold about equal on 360 to units sold, on PS3 it sold substantially less than the the number of HW units for the month.

again an indicator that it is selling quite well as a Blu Ray player the past month or two, not as well as a game seller.

as for your fanboy comment, I highly doubt ANY of us are not biased.

This gen, I feel that the 3 vendors will carve their own niche and grow with different user base (with some overlap). I don't see why 360's earlier numbers will affect Playstation numbers moving forward. I also don't think PS3 numbers will matter much to 360. Basically, Sony has their own vision and plan to realize. So do Nintendo and MS.

At some point in time, we might also see iPhone being tracked on NPD :D

This gen, I feel that the 3 vendors will carve their own niche and grow with different user base (with some overlap). I don't see why 360's earlier numbers will affect Playstation numbers moving forward. I also don't think PS3 numbers will matter much to 360. Basically, Sony has their own vision and plan to realize. So do Nintendo and MS.

At some point in time, we might also see iPhone being tracked on NPD :D

Completely agree. The market is so amazingly healthy at the moment. The viability of three manufacturers has failed several times before, but now it looks fully supportable with all parties being quite profitable. Great news for us gamers!

I can only imagine how big 2008 will be by year end with GTA4, Brawl, Mario Kart, MGS4, a new GT, a new Gears, and a new FF on the horizon.

Completely agree. The market is so amazingly healthy at the moment. The viability of three manufacturers has failed several times before, but now it looks fully supportable with all parties being quite profitable. Great news for us gamers!

I can only imagine how big 2008 will be by year end with GTA4, Brawl, Mario Kart, MGS4, a new GT, a new Gears, and a new FF on the horizon.

and thats why I have both a 360(currently broken got to send it in for repairs can't miss out on Gears 2) and a ps3

gotta love this PR :) esp

Xbox LIVE is the largest online gaming community currently over 10 million strong worldwide, and growing. The PS3 online network is only 2.9 million (U.S. data only) and the Wii has only four million (this number includes North America and Japan). (Microsoft internal estimates)

i cant wait to read next months spin, when a single wii title will outsell all xb360 titles combined, i suppose we'll hear talk of revenue to date, 3rd party games etc :)

sticking blu-ray in the xb360 is a terrible idea

Wii: This gen is sooo over. We have a winner folks. Deal with it.
still a bit early for calling a winner, i still think itll end up wii+ps3 100m, xb360 50m

And noone can give the PS3 credit for actual selling now?
It´s still behind by a large amount but this would have seem like science fiction a year ago...

a fine example of a Shifty laggard ;)
Alas, I fear I have broken the Brotherhood of Laggardness :( ..............:mrgreen:

Regards sales, everyone makes a point of PS3 outselling XB360 due to shortages and soon it'll be back on top, but IMO the most important factor here is even if XB360 returns to original sales, PS3 is way up there, despite costing a load more. In terms of worldwide sales, PS3 could be outperforming XB360 by a fair bit. That's why the price cut was needed. Post GTA we might see another cut in the US if they haven't managed to crimp on PS3's increasing momentum.

Alas, I fear I have broken the Brotherhood of Laggardness :( ..............:mrgreen:

Regards sales, everyone makes a point of PS3 outselling XB360 due to shortages and soon it'll be back on top, but IMO the most important factor here is even if XB360 returns to original sales, PS3 is way up there, despite costing a load more. In terms of worldwide sales, PS3 could be outperforming XB360 by a fair bit. That's why the price cut was needed. Post GTA we might see another cut in the US if they haven't managed to crimp on PS3's increasing momentum.

Shortages or not, the 360 is selling better this year than they did last year, I don't think it really matters that the PS3 is selling a little more the last couple of months. Not only that but they have not even cut the price all that much in NA, while the ps3 is what now? $200 cheaper than when it came out?

It's 349/449 vs $399. Define a "load" more. Unless you're trying to convince yourself that the core is the big seller....

still a bit early for calling a winner, i still think itll end up wii+ps3 100m, xb360 50m

By the end of 2008, it'll be very clear that Nintendo is head and shoulders above the rest. Remember they still haven't been able to keep up with demand. One day that'll happen. Then you still have to factor in the price drops and only God knows how many colors they'll come out with!

Good numbers for Sony,I expect PS3 to continue to sell good because Blu-ray is amazing.

If PS3 stays close in USA, 360 is clearly doomed to 3rd place world wide every year for now on.

If PS3 ever gets close in USA, 360 is clearly close to being in 3rd place world wide every year from 2010 on.

fixed ;)

Edit:
I love how this mantra (360 is losing outside of US to mean losing worldwide) has taken on the air of FACT when we have no conclusive data anywhere showing this to be true.

what we do have is NPD conclusively showing 360 with a huge actual advantage in NA which will be nearly impossible to overcome for PS3 (a surplus of a paltry 30,000 units per month won;t cut it even if that can be sustained)... and Japan data (smallest market WW) showing Wii dominating and PS3 doing ok and 360 in its usual displaced position of last. all other data is a guess

Last edited by a moderator:
It's 349/449 vs $399. Define a "load" more. Unless you're trying to convince yourself that the core is the big seller....
The 360 Arcade is $279. I suppose the 80GB PS3 bundle ($499) was also available at storefronts in Feb.

what we do have is NPD conclusively showing 360 with a huge actual advantage in NA which will be nearly impossible to overcome for PS3 (a surplus of a paltry 30,000 units per month won;t cut it even if that can be sustained)
While I agree and don't expect PS3 to overtake XB360 any time soon if ever, playing Devil's Advocate here there is a logical argument that a 30k advantage now could expand to greater advantage over time, as sales gain momentum with decreasing price and increasing softwares. The sales of PS3 have gone from 1:2 behind XB360 to about 1:1. If that rate of acceleration in sales were to progress (and it's more a jump than an acceleration, and if due to shortages then we don't know what XB360's sustained rate could be) then sales of PS3 could sensibly be expected to hit 2:1 versus XB360. I don't think it will, but it's not irrational to think it might happen.

IMO the most important factor here is even if XB360 returns to original sales, PS3 is way up there

The XB360 doesn't have to "return to original sales" because it's actually selling better than last year. The PS3's huge growth has not depressed XB360's sales in any visible way. On the contrary, the XBox brand just had its best February ever!

Back