F1 '06 (PS3) new pics

EMBM is easy, making the drops move naturally is not easy at all..
True, but that can be done in software. There's only a handful of drops at one time (maybe 100?), and you can just draw point sprites to a texture (the leading drop) and fade it away a bit each frame. I was really into racing games back then (even built my own steering wheel!), and once I got my Radeon and read up on EMBM, it was the first thing I thought of. Finally someone did it 6 years later.

It's so sad that it was completely ignored while the GF1/2/MX took over the market. Even when games started using pixel shaders for water like in 3DMark2001, Commanche, Tiger woods, etc., they all used texm3x3vspec instead which is mathematically correct only for reflecting objects an infinite distance away. EMBM gives much more realistic reflections especially for local objects, like rocks near a lake and objects in it.

It was the first form of dependent texturing. How devs could just ignore it bewildered me, and really made me a cynic towards them. :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
So who else has won the Formula 1 7 times?

Winning the most titles doesn't make you the best ;)
The 2 best drivers, still, are Ayrton Senna for the modern formulas, Juan Manuel Fangio for the old Formulas.

Based on what?

If you cannot use merits to determine whos the best racer, then every discussion like this will just be based on everybodys personal opinion, so i could then say that the Xbox was more sucsessfull than the PS2, because i liked it better. (even tho the PS2 outsold the Xbox 4:1)

Based on what?

If you cannot use merits to determine whos the best racer, then every discussion like this will just be based on everybodys personal opinion, so i could then say that the Xbox was more sucsessfull than the PS2, because i liked it better. (even tho the PS2 outsold the Xbox 4:1)

Well he did say "better", so the analogy would be that you think Xbox is "better" than PS2 even though it didn't sell nearly as much. Which would be totally acceptable.
Still, i'm not too sure what would make Senna "better" than Shumy... Except the martyr status he has now after the accident. By the way i was in Imola (it's just a few miles from home) when Senna had that accident, it was quite horrific, and i was only a little kid... (and that's without mentioning that another driver died the day before on the same track! horrible weekend)

If you'd take a good glance on Sennas career, what he did and how he drove, you'd understand what I mean ;)

Other drivers took their cars to the limit - Senna always took his beyond the limits.

If you'd take a good glance on Sennas career, what he did and how he drove, you'd understand what I mean ;)

Other drivers took their cars to the limit - Senna always took his beyond the limits.

Can we keep the L'Oreal "cause i'm worth it" kind of PR myths out of the thread please... Really.. "b3yond his limits"... Come on... He was a great driver, whose career was tragically cut short. No point in posting those kind of statements Sony would be proud of...

Kaotik's got a point though. If you drive a car beyond it's limits, you'll end up having an accident that also exceeds the car's safety limits. If Senna drove within the limits, he'd still be alive now...

None of this F1 talk has anything to do with console gaming anyhow. Take it to www.f1yacking.com!

Kaotik's got a point though. If you drive a car beyond it's limits, you'll end up having an accident that also exceeds the car's safety limits. If Senna drove within the limits, he'd still be alive now...

None of this F1 talk has anything to do with console gaming anyhow. Take it to www.f1yacking.com!

Actually the reasons behind the accident are more complicated. thats why Williams (i think thast the name?) are still in court about the matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Senna was he far better driver.. we have seen Schumi the last few yrs when finally someone made a competitive car he hasnt been able to win.

Senna was he far better driver.. we have seen Schumi the last few yrs when finally someone made a competitive car he hasnt been able to win.

He did great with Benetton though as well. Not just Ferrari. Not that I dont believe that Senna was better ;)

I ve read somewhere that he was so calm during races that on very dangerous turns his heart beats reached just normal levels.

Winning the most titles doesn't make you the best ;)
The 2 best drivers, still, are Ayrton Senna for the modern formulas, Juan Manuel Fangio for the old Formulas.

Oh please not the Senna was the best comment again. Its so lame using that ''argument''. Senna is dead, unfortunatly. Because of that he never got a change to show what he really could do but because he died people always say he would have been the greatest if he didnt die. But he did so we never know for sure.

Besides that, Schumi made his own succes. He (along with todt and a few others) made Ferrari a winning team again, he has about every record possible so i think it fair to say he is the best F1 driver ever untill now.

Oh please not the Senna was the best comment again. Its so lame using that ''argument''. Senna is dead, unfortunatly. Because of that he never got a change to show what he really could do but because he died people always say he would have been the greatest if he didnt die. But he did so we never know for sure.

Besides that, Schumi made his own succes. He (along with todt and a few others) made Ferrari a winning team again, he has about every record possible so i think it fair to say he is the best F1 driver ever untill now.

I have to agree,

I think most people refuse to say schumacher is the best simply because they dont like him. his track record speaks for itself. period. (as they say in the us ;-) )

Guys, this thread is not about Formula One, it's about a F1 game. So stay on topic. If you want to discuss drivers there's an old thread in GD created by Powderkeg I believe.

Oke about the game. Why is the asphalt flat and reflecting like a mirror? and the cars also seem to float. For the rest I think the game looks good. Nothing special but good enough (if they fix the asphalt).

Oke about the game. Why is the asphalt flat and reflecting like a mirror? and the cars also seem to float. For the rest I think the game looks good. Nothing special but good enough (if they fix the asphalt).
Because there's no EMBM on the road! AAAAHHH!

Why are devs ignoring 7 year old tech? EMBM was just screaming out to be put in racing games. Raindrops, localized heatwaves, wet roads...

Because there's no EMBM on the road! AAAAHHH!

Why are devs ignoring 7 year old tech? EMBM was just screaming out to be put in racing games. Raindrops, localized heatwaves, wet roads...

(Even though image suggests Radeons did it first, Matrox G400 was first to utilize this licenced from BitBoys feature)

Back