F1 '06 (PS3) new pics

(Even though image suggests Radeons did it first, Matrox G400 was first to utilize this licenced from BitBoys feature)
Actually, that's why I said 7 years old. The original Radeon is a little over 6 years old.

The Radeon Ark demo was just a perfect example of how it was used to make bumpy reflections on flat surfaces.

(Though in hindsight I probably should have linked the word "EMBM" to that image, and a G400 to the phrase "7 year old")

Last edited by a moderator:
Why are devs ignoring 7 year old tech? EMBM was just screaming out to be put in racing games. Raindrops, localized heatwaves, wet roads...
Emh..this comment is a bit silly, games which use embm or variants are countless, no one is really ignoring it.
It's not like ppl who can write an engine like that (I'm talking about F1..) don't know what they are doing, don't be so naive.

and EMBM is nothing groudbreaking, ppl were using it in sw rasterizers when I was still playing with my L.E.G.O

and EMBM is nothing groudbreaking, ppl were using it in sw rasterizers when I was still playing with my L.E.G.O

I guess you learn something new at B3D everyday. I, for one, did not know that LEGO was an abbreviation :oops:

Emh..this comment is a bit silly, games which use embm or variants are countless, no one is really ignoring it.
Since the DX9 era, sure. That's like 4 years late. Before that, it was only in a couple games (I remember Expendable and Slave Zero, and not much else). Nobody saw it as an advantage of the Radeon and Kyro, even though it's a very ground-breaking effect for gfx hardware (dependent reads!). Moreover, the really nice applications were never exploited. No racing game used it (F1 is the first, AFAIK). Nobody used it for reflective floors like the Ark demo. Even for heat waves, I haven't seen it used beyond Doom 3. As I said before, the whole DX8 era was plagued by texm3x3vspec water, which is visually wrong. Global heat waves looked decent in Gran Turismo 3 replays, and asphalt-localized waves would look great while racing.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. I'm sure only a fraction of a percent of games sold used it before 2004.

It's not like ppl who can write an engine like that (I'm talking about F1..) don't know what they are doing, don't be so naive.
If I'm being naive, then why isn't it used on the road then? It's so simple, so fast, and looks so good. Besides, I'm not knocking the F1 devs, because they're actually doing what I want. I'm more pissed that nobody's done this before.

All I can say is wow at these new pictures.

89cb1b9d9b.jpg

d0d07b2307.jpg

All I can say is wow at these new pictures.

89cb1b9d9b.jpg

d0d07b2307.jpg

wow indeed.

they seemed to have captured an overcast day perfectly.

OTOH, I really want to see some gameplay footage from the playing perspective and maybe a movie to see how it looks in game and in motion. :D

Sorry, but I have to disagree. I'm sure only a fraction of a percent of games sold used it before 2004.
Tons of GC games used EMBM for various distorsion effects (water, heat waves, reflections), games such as Super Mario Sunshine, Resident Evil 4, Zelda WW, Rogue Leader, etc...

Here's the youtube version of the new video (interview) of the game. The pit mini game is kinda cool. And the lighting in the dawn time of day is just sooo nice.

Probably rendered using the in game engine..but not really in realtime (too many samples per pixel..)

Thanks for the reply. Are you talking anti-aliasing? If not, you might as well have said that to my nan ;)
I'm saying that probably they took a huge screenshot and then they downsampled it or maybe they took many screenshots from the same POV slighty jittering the camera position and accumulating them into a final screenshot. Both techniques are useful to reduce aliasing artifacts..

Back