F1 '06 (PS3) new pics

Not really, it's actually enviroment mapped bump mapping; a bumpy surface reflecting an eniroment map, so a sort of dependent texture reads. It was introduced on the Matrox G400 series of cards, and I think Geforce3 and the first Radeon also supported it. A few games used the effect for shiny water, some heat haze and other stuff, but the more flexible DX8 pixel shaders replaced it soon.

Not really, it's actually enviroment mapped bump mapping; a bumpy surface reflecting an eniroment map, so a sort of dependent texture reads. It was introduced on the Matrox G400 series of cards, and I think Geforce3 and the first Radeon also supported it. A few games used the effect for shiny water, some heat haze and other stuff, but the more flexible DX8 pixel shaders replaced it soon.

Hah true!! Always got the two confused... I remember now, EMBM was Matrox' baby.

Anyone else immediately shout 'JAGGIES!' when they looked at picture number 1?

Seriously, Anyone?

Anyone?

:(

At first i did...until I had to enlarge the pic to its original size. :smile:

Thank God its not a PGR3 jaggie fest going on!! :no:

well it's certainly not internally 1280x720 judging by those pics.... Just look at the front of the car in the first shot.

Or are you saying the originals are higher res?

re: reflection blur, I know what you mean. I just wonder how much of a difference that'd make at 70-220MPH.
A lot I'd say. If you're travelling 200 MPH, and the car in front is, you'll get a crisp reflection that would only exist if the road was utterly saturated. They need to blur it a bit, moreso for less wet tracks, and the more wet the track, the more random displacement they should add. wel, procedural displacement.

Okay, that'd be the last thing to add after an updated lighting engine to make tyhe cars look more realistic! But it'd be nice. I'm looking forward to the first car game to get all these details right, couple with proper night driving lit by headlights with secondary illumination. I think that's the next graphical bar for racers.

re: reflection blur, I know what you mean. I just wonder how much of a difference that'd make at 70-220MPH.

The fundamental problem here is that as games become more and more realistic, and this F1 game is really scary at times, almost photorealistic, the smallest flaw sticks out like a sore thumb.

When everything looks so bloody good that our brains start thinking it might be real, a tiny little thing like those very unrealistic reflections just "pops out" and makes our brain go "ooh that doesn't look good!".

In this case, those road reflections look like the cars are driving on a dirty mirror. The hardware can do much better than that, so it's a design choice issue.

It's obviously not a huge issue, it's really minor, but the point is that it just sticks out as very unrealisic, in a shot where everything else is near-photorealistic.

A bit like FFTSW: it looked SO realistic, that the tiny little issues just made our brain alarm bells ring and just make us "understand" that the images weren't real. In that case it was a matter of imperceptible facial movements humans would not do, or do differently. Tiny tiny factor that totally spoiled the magic, as good as the movie looked. Still very impressive of course.

Back