DriveClub by Evolution Studios [PS4]

I noticed as well, and bought it, must admit i am not impressed by the game, the driving feeling is totally off, just doesn't feel natural to me, the feedback from the car is weak, breaking heavily can hardly be "felt", the default views are bad.. argh!

Try the motion controls and don't give up too soon. Try the BHR racing track with a Ferrari in cockpit ... Driving feeling really is quite good.

I actually see DC as my Wipeout replacement at the moment. The driving model may not be hyper-realistic, but it does have a lot of character and varies drastically from one vehicle to the next. Lack of tuning and other such shenanigans is much appreciated as well as it's all in service to an even and fiercly competitive playing field. It also makes for a game that is really easy and fast to get in for a quickie (which usually turns into a couple of hours). Another Wipeout similarity is that it feels fast as fuck, even in the less insanely monstrous vehicles. Last but not least it makes for a great case study due to how slick and tight it feels while running at a mere 30fps.

Bottomline: I can certainly appreciate a game that laser-focuses on a single thing and executes it beautifully.
Now bring on Motorstorm or make a new Wipeout, Evo.

I noticed as well, and bought it, must admit i am not impressed by the game, the driving feeling is totally off, just doesn't feel natural to me, the feedback from the car is weak, breaking heavily can hardly be "felt", the default views are bad.. argh!

For sure there is an issue with feeling of brakes (or rather lack of it), but I think this is a common issue for non simulation like racing games. Still everything other than breaking feels very good in my opinion and I consider this game to be much better than any NFS, GRID or whatever. I think it is really the king of its class, but this is a different type of game and handling than Forza or Gran Turismo. In the end even my brother, who loves games like GT or even hardcore RBR, likes this game and plays it from time to time.

Try the motion controls and don't give up too soon. Try the BHR racing track with a Ferrari in cockpit ... Driving feeling really is quite good.

For sure there is an issue with feeling of brakes (or rather lack of it), but I think this is a common issue for non simulation like racing games. Still everything other than breaking feels very good in my opinion and I consider this game to be much better than any NFS, GRID or whatever. I think it is really the king of its class, but this is a different type of game and handling than Forza or Gran Turismo. In the end even my brother, who loves games like GT or even hardcore RBR, likes this game and plays it from time to time.

I tried some more tonight, got a challenge from a friend who i sadly slapped so hard in GT6 he stopped playing, or at least that is my version. I think i got the hang of it now, to some extent, but as you say, the breaking is so incredible bad, i am tiptoeing around corners on a try and error fashion that is pretty weird :) FH2 was way more natural :-/
Well i took 11 seconds of his time so i hope he was just trolling me with a crappy time. And i then i tried some of the faster cars and the fun level is creeping in. Maybe i will be back in a few days with a confession of being wrong.

If I remember correctly, the braking (balance)was only really bad for one particular early car, an FF Audi I think that broke out left or right each time you brake even the slightest bit.

Strange, I found braking to be quite realistic, with weight transfer in corners and all. Understeer with blocked wheel also feels very natural. Of course everything is easier than in reality, but I think that DC quite well imitates the way real cars are braking at high speeds in corners.

Also tried an online time-trial yesterday, and some multiplayer. All very smooth. Also, getting my arse kicked ... ;)

Strange, I found braking to be quite realistic, with weight transfer in corners and all. Understeer with blocked wheel also feels very natural. Of course everything is easier than in reality, but I think that DC quite well imitates the way real cars are braking at high speeds in corners.
When I hit the breaks in a car I would expect some kind of feedback, like the front going down. I am having a hard time to get a feel for the cars.

But I understand it's a pure arcade racer so it's not something I should expect to be anything else. I guess the forza horizon 2 demo got me spoiled.

But I understand it's a pure arcade racer
Maybe I'm just not with the times, but this never ceases to confuse me. I would have called it a simcade, and closer to sim than cade. I mean, it's substantially more realistic than games like RalliSport Challenge (which pretend to put on some vague semblance of realism), and if Driveclub is "pure arcade", what does that make stuff like Ridge Racer?

ShadowRunner's challenge is at least one I could beat in a few tries ;) i like by the way that it shows how many tries you used, even if it can easily be misled by practicing.

Bought it used today and I must say I am impressed with the game. It is very fun. The only problem is that for some reason some of the challenges that appear while you race, sometimes dont load.

Maybe I'm just not with the times, but this never ceases to confuse me. I would have called it a simcade, and closer to sim than cade. I mean, it's substantially more realistic than games like RalliSport Challenge (which pretend to put on some vague semblance of realism), and if Driveclub is "pure arcade", what does that make stuff like Ridge Racer?
Compared to gt6 or forza I think it would be a stretch to call it simcade. But sure, if you think arcade racers are still defined by a game like Ridge racer that is 20+ years old, then I agree with simcadish :)

I've never been a big fan of racing games and DC certainly isn't going to change that but it's fun to do circuits at a steady 30 mph and admire the scenery! When I can that is, I have the environment set to random and the only time I played and it hasn't been night time and raining is when I changed the settings. It doesn't seem very random at all.

It sure is pretty though. When I can see it!

Compared to gt6 or forza I think it would be a stretch to call it simcade. But sure, if you think arcade racers are still defined by a game like Ridge racer that is 20+ years old, then I agree with simcadish :)
RR was just one of the first. There are several racers that I would put in the same category.

Any racer that has at least some realistic racing simulations, I would put in the simcade category. DC has slipstreaming, no rubber-banding, weather that affects driving physics, rewards players for taking corners properly, and penalizes players for trying to shortcut corners.

Now I haven't actually played DC yet, but it seems to me that DC is a perfect example of a simcade from everything I've read or heard about it. It may not have the most realistic physics or driving model, and the cars may not drive close to their real-life counterparts, but it's certainly not a pure arcade racer IMO.

Last edited:
-tkf-": 1820852 said:
Compared to gt6 or forza I think it would be a stretch to call it simcade.
I'd place GT in the realm of sim. Driveclub is sim-ish enough that it doesn't go too far away from realistic driving line logic, it mostly just differentiates itself with more forgiving break behavior and easier grip.

But sure, if you think arcade racers are still defined by a game like Ridge racer that is 20+ years old, then I agree with simcadish :)
I was just using it illustratively, and the last mainline Ridge Racer title came out in 2006. Although sims have taken off, it's not like arcadey racers have totally ceased to exist, especially in the lower-budget space. Heck, even in the medium-to-high budget space, there are still games like NFS and The Crew, which are much less sim-ish than DriveClub.

I'm just not seeing any convenience or sense in moving the genre lines. It's drawing huge contrasts where there's only subtle differences on the sim side, and making it impossible to smoothly differentiate (by genre title) games that are very different from each other in the classically arcadey space.

Back