Dreams : create, share & play [PS4, PS5]

Actually he said Mm are game makers and therefore they are making games with it, but much more is possible.

Evans hinted at the connection between the different part of the dream. Like you could begin in an FPS sequence then open a door and see an endless landscape of sand like journey and then making few steps and suddenly the environment could just change and you find yourself in a zombie world or in a sci-fi futuristic world and those are not linked and do not make always sense you don't ask youself what you are doing it just happens and you just experience those.That's what they want to achieve and show They also said that the final retail could implement some gameplay capabilities in those parts. But the first aspect of the game is its creative side because they are " creators and artists " first before being game developers.

Ok, well that could be be cool as hell

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/sony-will-show-lots-more-of-littlebigplanet-dev-s-/1100-6428388/

Shuei Yoshida give more precision about the game

Yoshida provided a little more clarity on what Dreams is, describing as "a next-gen creation platform" that is "much more flexible" than LittleBigPlanet.

"In LittleBigPlanet you pretty much made new levels of an action game," he explained. "With Dreams, you don't have to make a game. You can make a game, but if you're a painter, you can just create beautiful, painterly looking drawings. Or you can just animate the character. Or you can [remix] other people's creations."

Yoshida indicated that Media Molecule's goal with Dreams is to empower people to create and express themselves using easy-to-use tools.

"The basic concept is to make creation more intuitive, and putting that in the hands of people who aren't trained to use the complex 3D packages. But make the artistic person feel like they're creating art as if they're doing it in real life.

"We are envisioning artists or musicians will contribute something they're really good at, and share it with lots of people. It's a community of creators where anyone can take anyone's creations and mash-ups to create even grander projects, including games."

According to the Sony exec, Dreams' appearance during the PlayStation conference was a tease to get people thinking about the project ahead of more thorough demo at Paris Games Week.

"It's a huge project," he said. "You can slice and dice the project in many different angles. It's huge in terms of potential for what it can do."

Yes. But again, don't forget that Mm's Alex said that Mm will be making games with it pretty much exclusively, and that the rest is up to the community.

Yes. But again, don't forget that Mm's Alex said that Mm will be making games with it pretty much exclusively, and that the rest is up to the community.

I am not a level creator but I will play other creation and the art is so cute, ideal to play with children. And it is a morpheus game. I will buy it.

Last edited:
http://mashable.com/2015/07/08/dreams-media-molecule-interview/

New article about the game

GENERAL
- Dreams is LittleBigPlanet evolved (spiritual successor): The core idea of allowing players to create and share whatever they like remains, but the acts of content creation and consumption both are distinctly different.
- Accessibility is key for Dreams
- Dreams shifts creation into a 3D space.

REMIXING
- Anything that someone creates can be appropriated and repurposed: At some point you might see an element in a dream and you're like, 'I could take that purple elephant and [turn] it into my own creation. So we're hoping for this Lego-like moment where you realize that if you don't quite like how something works, you can mash it up and make it your own

HUBLESS CONNECTED WORLD
- Dreams is much more exploration and MMO-like. Rather than constantly returning to a home screen (like LBP had a hub); instead, it's more like Wikipedia. You search for cucumbersand you end up in Ohio farming and then you get to Batman.

ABOUT THE TRAILER
- [Debut trailer] “for Dreams was done in about two weeks. We took some playable levels and some non-playable levels, basically a cross-section of the content that we had. For example, the polar bear sequence comes out of a snowboarding game crossed with a guy who was building this polar bear characterfor his daughter.”

HOW YOU PLAY
- It's also indicative of how Dreams is meant to flow, particularly when you fire it up for the first time. Much like actual dreams, there's no story, no continuity that ties everything together… "The idea is that you explore. So you travel through this sequence of dreams of dream-like— I hesitate to say 'levels,' but initially I think they will be game-like levels."

BETA
- "Right now, the team at Media Molecule is working on a beta trial. We haven't got the details of when and what, exactly; that's what comes at Paris. "

Not much news though. Looks like we'll need to wait until the end of the year before we get some decent hands on stuff.

image018.jpg

I hope we will soon see the slide

Abstract:

Over the last 4 years, MediaMolecule has been hard at work to evolve its brand of ‘creative gaming’. Dreams has a unique rendering engine that runs almost entirely on the PS4’s compute unit (no triangles!); it builds on scenes described through Operationally Transformed CSG trees, which are evaluated on-the-fly to high resolution signed distance fields, from which we generate dense multi-resolution point clouds. In this talk we will cover our process of exploring new techniques, and the interesting failures that resulted. The hope is that they provide inspiration to the audience to pursue unusual techniques for real-time image formation. We will chart a series of different algorithms we wrote to try to render ‘Dreams’, even as its look and art direction evolved. The talk will also cover the renderer we finally settled on, motivated as much by aesthetic choices as technical ones, and discuss some of the current choices we are still exploring for lighting, anti-aliasing and optimization.

From the Siggraph slides, it sounds like this game is still quite a ways out. They've had their modelling engine for a while, and the artists are building content, but the renderer is still a WIP.

Didn't MediaMolecule state that their trailer was made up of segments from games already created in their engine? Presumably they don't have to throw out all of the current content with each update. I'd guess that the game is ready once the engine is ready.

Didn't MediaMolecule state that their trailer was made up of segments from games already created in their engine? Presumably they don't have to throw out all of the current content with each update. I'd guess that the game is ready once the engine is ready.
Yes, the content creation is established. The paper discusses the artists use of the tools, and has some nice, very CGI ish (here comes trouble!) art images showing what the artists are creating. It's just the renderer (and, you know, the whole rest of the game proper) that needs work, barring any significant changes to the pipeline. However, it has to be too late in the day to target a Holiday release this year. And I'm not sure there's reason to release before Holiday next year.

By comparison, LBP was revealed in GDC 2007, June. LBP Beta'd on 23rd September 2008, and release October. Unless MM decide for a longer beta for this one, chances are low we'll get our mitts on it any time soon.

Back