Dreams : create, share & play [PS4, PS5]

Good point. Don't really get that either, but kids love it. Wonder how it'll work with kids accessing perverted adult dreams. It's got to have some sort of censorship built in.
Never played lego or in a sand box ?
That's minecraft, it's obvious kids will love it...
Hell since exploration is the essence of most games, it's also obvious adults will like it for a while. (But they might be less interested in building with subpar tools.)
Anyway, clueless about Dreams game part, it might just be like screensavers, a nice scene or maybe a short movie...

minecraft, aka wheres the game there?
Minecraft was originally conceived as a survival game. This game mode is called Survival Mode is the player being dumped in a procedurally generated landscape which varies in degrees of hostility and types and quantity of natural resources and the aim is simply to survive for as long as you can.

You have nothing but your body when you start the game in early morning and your day one goal is simply to prepare well enough to survive the oncoming night when nastier monsters spawn. You can use raw materials to make tools and items to craft better tools and use better materials (wood, iron etc). Everything you use to build anything must be mined or crafted yourself. There are traditional game mechanics such as health, experience, combat, exploration and survival plus, obviously, crafting. Want a real challenge play in hardcore mode where when you run out of health you don't respawn in the world, your world is wiped completely. They also added an Adventure Mode although I've not dabbled but I do manage a huge Minecraft server with a Lord of the Rings style adventure/RPG made possible by about half a dozen mods and a lot of hard work ;)

Perhaps you've only seen Creative Mode which is essentially just am empty environment with no death, no threats and limitless blocks where people just build/draw thngs using the blocks from the game. Where you read articles about peope having rebuilt the USS Enterprise to scale, or places in Game of Thrones, this is Creative Mode where there is no real game other than to build.

Yep, it's basically virtual lego with unlimited blocks. This is what most of the kids use it as, though eventually they absolutely do start messing around with the monsters. And there are all sorts of mods, like a team deathmatch mod, etc., that are also really popular, but for this you need to host servers (not too hard though), so that is usually for older kids.

Dreams looks like a project that could combine "extremely well" with VR...

It will be interesting to see the bits they didn't show - e.g. the logic and the other modelling tools.

Yes, look forward to getting more details in November or so. And consider it extremely likely that it will support Morpheus one way or another - they've basically always supported *every* peripheral possible save perhaps driving wheels.

Yes, look forward to getting more details in November or so. And consider it extremely likely that it will support Morpheus one way or another - they've basically always supported *every* peripheral possible save perhaps driving wheels.

Not sure about this but it seems Dreams is 1080p 60 fps, it seems Media Molecule coders find optimisation via Timothy Lottes(Epic ex Nvidia) nvscene talk. Simon Brown is a MM coder.

https://mobile.twitter.com/sjb3d/status/594623744607260672

It gives me hope for VR...

Yet it's the creative mode that people like most AFAIK.
YouTube videos and the modding scene show the game modes to be far more popular - with a few exceptions, mods are generally specific/relavent to Survival, Creative and Adventure. Creative Mode tends to get bigger articles though, like when Ordnance Survery mapping the UK or that huge team rebuilt much of the word from Game of Thrones. Everybody else is too busy playing and survivng ;)

Can't you just survive minecraft forever by just digging a hole on the ground and sealing its top every night? If you can survive the first day, you can survive forever. The part where people start upgrading and building homes, and tools and so on, is completely spontaneous, there are no traditional gamey motivations to do them (I suppose) other than your natural human instinct to improve the conditions of settlement.

Last edited:
Can't you just survive minecraft forever by just digging a hole on the ground and sealing its top every night?
You can indeed do this although the first time you play Minecraft you have no idea if this will work. Much of the mystery of Minecraft has long since passed. When I first started playing very few recipes for crafting items were known so strategies and working out what you could make, and how, and where to find those items, was genuinely up to the individual player.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/18/media-molecule-dreams-is-for-youtubers-and-twitch-streamers/

Evans and Healey weren't quite so cagey when I asked them if Dreams would be a Morpheus VR launch title. Though the pair wouldn't outright confirm it, Healey admits "it's an obvious thing to do." Adds Evans: "Let's just say Anton Mikhailov, who helped build the first ever Morpheus prototype, is at Molecule now. ... So I'll leave it at that."

Dreams and VR

EDIT: big article and many things about the game

Last edited:
Wow, Anton works there now? That's great.

From that same article:

The main confusion I've seen reading on the net does seem to be that people are like, 'Is it a movie maker? Is it a game maker? What is it?' The communities will probably define that. But it's absolutely a game. We are making games with it. What you will choose to make with it, what the community will choose to make with it -- that's the cool thing. We don't know."

EDIT: they also want to do a beta, which might happen before Paris Games Week. Definitely will try to be in that too. ;)

The dreams seen at the end of the video are some sort of teasing about the dreams(game) made by media molecule during games jam. And one dream feature a Terraway character.

I think it is day one for me. They will do a beta too.

Evans hinted at the connection between the different part of the dream. Like you could begin in an FPS sequence then open a door and see an endless landscape of sand like journey and then making few steps and suddenly the environment could just change and you find yourself in a zombie world or in a sci-fi futuristic world and those are not linked and do not make always sense you don't ask youself what you are doing it just happens and you just experience those.That's what they want to achieve and show They also said that the final retail could implement some gameplay capabilities in those parts. But the first aspect of the game is its creative side because they are " creators and artists " first before being game developers.

Evans hinted at the connection between the different part of the dream. Like you could begin in an FPS sequence then open a door and see an endless landscape of sand like journey and then making few steps and suddenly the environment could just change and you find yourself in a zombie world or in a sci-fi futuristic world and those are not linked and do not make always sense you don't ask youself what you are doing it just happens and you just experience those.That's what they want to achieve and show They also said that the final retail could implement some gameplay capabilities in those parts. But the first aspect of the game is its creative side because they are " creators and artists " first before being game developers.

I think the trailer is a complete dreams only the part with the bubble teasing the MM made level aren't part of this dream.

Back