dominATIon

Absolutely 100% on the CPU. It's the transcode engine from MMC, architected by the same group internal to ATI that engineers their Theater ASICs.

Andy, are you sure that even with application usage of the Transcoding non-X1000 users will get benefits? The Transcode app itself is just a dinky, quick, front-end to their API and the API will probably hold the controls as to which boards it operates on - its the API that ATI will port to run on hardware, so that any application will get the benefits if/when they do, so the issue is likely to apply to the API rather than the app(s).

Dave Baumann said:
Andy, are you sure that even with application usage of the Transcoding non-X1000 users will get benefits? The Transcode app itself is just a dinky, quick, front-end to their API and the API will probably hold the controls as to which boards it operates on - its the API that ATI will port to run on hardware, so that any application will get the benefits if/when they do, so the issue is likely to apply to the API rather than the app(s).

True, ATI didn't really go into any detail on this - It was more my assumption that if third-party companies are going to license the transcoder, then they'll be wanting a more open version that caters for all their users rather than simply those with X1000 series ATI boards.

Dave Baumann said:
Cobra licensees won't have GPU-specific lockdown. But on top of that there will be development of hooks for accelerating part of Cobra on the GPU. Whether those are specific and transparent to the API is unknown at the moment. They're also thinking about opening it up via DirectShow, as a filter, but likely as a 'simpler' transcoder with less adjust.

Bottomline Dave/Hanners/Rys- their current AVIVO solution could easily run on X800 class hardware too yet they chose not to include support for them to make it an X1800 class only feature.

:(

Well, the Video Convertor application at least would work on X800 (or indeed anything else). However, it's shit, and I don't see why you'd really want to use it for any serious video work outside of making quick and dirty DVDs from other source material.

I wouldn't be too disappointed about that one.

However, the new SD deinterlacing performance would be awesome to have on the older gen of hardware, since I bet there's a fair few X600s and the like running MCE boxes. I'm not 100% convinced the older VP in those GPUs couldn't handle at least that part of the Avivo update, so that bit I'd feel bad about. We'll never know if it is or not, though.

Good reason to ponder that upgrade to PCIe ;)

So, does this mean that the day of registries hack will return again as it was done on adaptive AA enable on X8xx? :cool: And I also can imagine how ATi would say about this as the technology will fully support on AVIVO but may not on previous generation so that they cannot enable it backward :cry:, or better, it will be enable tomorrow (never come) whenever it pass the test for previous generation.

I'm very disappointed at the AVIVO solution in the drivers simply are not supported for older hardware.. particularly because all of it is software driven...

But then again, it seems to do a very good job.. if not beat the pants off the NVidia's Purevideo solution.. from a technical standpoint and value (who's dumb idea was it to make the Purevideo decoder a separate purchase?) and at least 3rd parties can take advantage of it without the silly limitation. (I honestly do not mind having software driven acceleration since my 9800 Pro doesn't have the AVIVO stuff anyhow.)

The best part is waiting for the R580.. as they will hopefully will have it hardware accelerated by the time it is out (or in a future CATALYST driver).. either way.. this is impressive for the most part.

geo said:
Hanners Hath Decreed or sumtin?
Well, he let me proofread his article on the 5.13s and AVIVO and I never feel comfortable talking about stuff like that until it's up and published.

It's up now, I'm miffed that they don't include anything but X1x00 class hardware in their new AVIVO. It would be different if they couldn't support Xx00 hardware, but with it's current implementation my X800 could use this AVIVO crap just peachy....'cept ATi didn't feel like supporting me and my "old" hardware. :(

I think you're mixing up what can and can't be supported, and what Avivo is. Avivo is a bunch of technologies, some of which are implemented in hardware (it's not just a software layer), which means some of the tech just isn't present in the X8-series of products and so can't be applied to older boards.

Of the stuff being updated or added today - new video driver for SD deinterlacing improvements, Video Convertor application, and H.264 decoder - which are really just a section of what Avivo is, only the video convertor would be applicable to X8-series, and it's shit anyway (bar it being fast, of course) :LOL: The other two rely on specific support in X1K hardware for them to work.

Unless someone can prove that's not the case, the other stuff is specific to hardware found in X1Ks and therefore doesn't apply to X8.

CATALYST MAKER said:
not nice.. I happen to like it alot
:D
So will they ever be improvements to the X8XX and X7XX class hardware?

Last edited by a moderator:
Rys said:
I think you're mixing up what can and can't be supported, and what Avivo is. Avivo is a bunch of technologies, some of which are implemented in hardware (it's not just a software layer), which means some of the tech just isn't present in the X8-series of products and so can't be applied to older boards.

Of the stuff being updated or added today - new video driver for SD deinterlacing improvements, Video Convertor application, and H.264 decoder - which are really just a section of what Avivo is, only the video convertor would be applicable to X8-series, and it's shit anyway (bar it being fast, of course) :LOL: The other two rely on specific support in X1K hardware for them to work.

Unless someone can prove that's not the case, the other stuff is specific to hardware found in X1Ks and therefore doesn't apply to X8.
Well according to Hanners write-up the new AVIVO is entirely software based and they plan to utulize the X1xxx's hardware features in later revisions...but they aren't using any now so it should be useable by ANY ATi hardware, yet it ain't.

They're claiming they plan to use X1x00 hardware for it in future releases so they don't want to support other hardware and then have to follow a software & hardware path down the road. I just call it cheesy. :(

No, the AVIVO transcode app is software based, but thats not "AVIVO", merely an element that falls under the AVIVO umbrella. The primary update here is the video quality enabled by the drivers, which is very much hardware based (although I have issues with that myself).

Dave Baumann said:
No, the AVIVO transcode app is software based, but thats not "AVIVO", merely an element that falls under the AVIVO umbrella. The primary update here is the video quality enabled by the drivers, which is very much hardware based (although I have issues with that myself).

What exactly do you mean Dave? (refer to comment in bold)

I'm gathering now that there are few AVIVO components that are usable for the X800 generation? I don't understand why the X800 people are not getting the benefits available to their hardware then.... (I'm disappointed really, but then again, I don't have that hardware)

Hmm... at least this makes R580 that much more worthwhile to wait for (it's not worth looking at a product like the R520 that was shipped late for whatever the reason).

Last edited by a moderator:
Alan does not slather the love lightly. But he said:

Catalyst 5.13 represents the greatest leap in video quality technology for ATI since the original Mach64-VT.

That's a sit up and take notice kind of statement.

It is still very unclear to me, tho certainly Rys and Wavey have helped a bit here today, what is hardware and what is software-only with Avivo tho, and certainly the more clarity we get on that going forward the better.

Edit: Oh, and a bit of love to Godfrey and the gang for delivering something well worth delivering (tho obviously not entirely complete yet either) before Christmas, as promised.

digitalwanderer said:
Well according to Hanners write-up the new AVIVO is entirely software based and they plan to utulize the X1xxx's hardware features in later revisions...but they aren't using any now so it should be useable by ANY ATi hardware, yet it ain't.

That isn't what I say. ;) Only the transcoding app is totally software based - The MPEG-2 and H.264 functionality are hardware accelerated.

CATALYST MAKER said:
not nice.. I happen to like it alot
If all you ever want to do is switch formats, then great. It's really fast doing so. But that's all it has going for it right now. PSP video spat out by the tool is horrible right now.

If it'll be improved before it's released, great, but I'd argue that it should have been a bit better before we got to see it, too.

And let's not forget I said the rest of the stuff was great (or I will when we publish my piece :p )

I think part of my confusion on the hw/sw thing was that 10 days ago Alan said this:

Our sources indicate that ATI is testing new drivers that will use more of the video hardware in the X1800 and the X800. The buzz we’re getting from our sources is that this new driver may bring ATI’s video performance into the triple digits in the HQV Benchmark!

That got me leaning a certain way on whats hw and what's sw in Avivo.

Now today's article he doesn't address it in the article, but in the comments section we find from him:

Just swapped cards and tested it. There are no benefits to video with Cat 5.13 and the X800. (It's the X1800 that is good)

So, okay, I'm feeling somewhat better about there being a healthy hw component to Avivo.

Back