dominATIon

Geo

Mostly Harmless
Legend
dominATIon --ATI Catalyst 5.13

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=28286

Okay, who thot this was a good idea? I mean, it's better than a fancy "*ss-mastering", but still. ;)

If you're gonna do trash talking in your marketing, you better damn well deliver.

Last edited by a moderator:
digitalwanderer said:
The 5.13 drivers better roxor our soxors then. :???:
Don't you mean 6.1? Or did you do that on purpose?

Homer Simpson: <shiver> "Lousy Smarch weather."

EDIT: I mean 6.1 :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Mintmaster said:
Don't you mean 6.0? Or did you do that on purpose?

It's 6.1 (the number before the period is the year, the number after the period is release number.. though for the most part this year.. it has corresponded to the month)

5.13 is "rumored" to be released regarding the AVIVO tech...

Yeah, I know, fixed it ASAP, but both of you bastards replied too quickly. :smile: Rather funny given my mocking of 5.13.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this. Firingsquad was echoing the same thing, right?

Are they going to cheat on video quality benchmarks :devilish:

Seriously if you think about it they could hypothetically tune the drivers to look nice in the specific set of circumstances that they use in that testing procedure everyone seems so fond of... oh wait I gave them an idea, I will have to do some self flagelation (sp?)

I believe like NVidia and Purevideo.. it has taken ATI some time to fully develop their drivers to support their AVIVO tech... it most likely has nothing to do with "doing funky things behind the scenes" to win a benchmark.

I'm looking to what AVIVO can do when completed.. as Dave did a fairly interesting (and yet difficult to understand) article on it.. which it seems "on the surface" could surpass NVidia's Purevideo tech.

Please could someone make L'Inq stop using the word "marchitecture" on every possible and impossible occasion? It hurts my brain and makes my ears bleed.

It seems to me it is getting less clear all the time what is hardware and what is software with this stuff. Alan at FS was talking about 5.13 as if the improvements would come for X800 as well, which sounds like software.

An improvement is an improvement, and yes, "it's all good" (and gratefully received, I should add) --but it seems pretty fuzzy what Avivo, as hardware, is bringing to the table so far. Hopefully that will become more clear over the next couple months.

Isnt AVIVO programmable? Software to take advantage of what it does, Purevideo is basically the same thing from my view.

Mintmaster said:
Don't you mean 6.1? Or did you do that on purpose?

Homer Simpson: <shiver> "Lousy Smarch weather."

EDIT: I mean 6.1 :)
No, I really meant the 5.13 set....but now I can't talk about 'em anymore! :???:

Would be nice to know what X800 or lower scores with 5.13.

Still, that's a nice turn-around.

Jawed

Meanwhile:

http://www.elitebastards.com/page.php?pageid=13022

With these rather worrying words:

Releasing a driver with working H.264 acceleration has been another story however - Until now. CATALYST 5.13 is the first ATI driver to support hardware assisted H.264 playback for all of the Radeon X1000 series. The only caveat of this support is that the level of High Definition playback your system will be capable of running smoothly will be largely dependant on what member of the Radeon X1000 series is sat inside your PC. ATI's recommendation is that the X1300 is suitable for 480p and 576p playback and the Radeon X1600 720p playback, with only high-end Radeon X1800 boards having sufficient processing power to cope with full-on 1080i and 1080p High Definition content.

So much for a "cheap AIW" supporting high-end H.264. Oh dear.

And I can't unravel, from this article, whether the transcoding app is using GPGPU type functionality or not.

Jawed

Jawed said:
And I can't unravel, from this article, whether the transcoding app is using GPGPU type functionality or not.

I thought I'd made it clear, but to clarify - The transcoder is not using any form of GPU assistance in its current form.

Back