Do You Plan On Buying/Having Vista At Launch?

Fairly certain every Vista disk contains every version of it, from Home Basic to Ultimate and the 32-bit and 64-bit as well.

Yep it is my impression that the 32 bit and 64 versions of Vista will be packaged together [ except for the absolute minimum spec Vista, perhaps ] but as far as I know, when one registers the software with Microsoft one has to choose either the 64 or 32 bit version and I am doubtfull if MS will allow you to change from the 32 bit to the 64 and Vice Versa free of charge or at a nominal/low cost after one has registered the Vista with MS.

Best and Warm Regards
Adrian Wainer

Yep it is my impression that the 32 bit and 64 versions of Vista will be packaged together [ except for the absolute minimum spec Vista, perhaps ] but as far as I know, when one registers the software with Microsoft one has to choose either the 64 or 32 bit version and I am doubtfull if MS will allow you to change from the 32 bit to the 64 and Vice Versa free of charge or at a nominal/low cost after one has registered the Vista with MS.

Best and Warm Regards
Adrian Wainer

I think thats a little bit of paranoia. The key is agnostic, it works for both versions, if you want to change it you just dump the old version and re-install with the same key. As long as the key provided with the software is only in use on a single computer they wont care what version you're using or when you swap.

I think thats a little bit of paranoia. The key is agnostic, it works for both versions, if you want to change it you just dump the old version and re-install with the same key. As long as the key provided with the software is only in use on a single computer they wont care what version you're using or when you swap.

Well that's cool if that is the case as it will allow me to install the 32 bit version and swap it for the 64 later, which will pretty much future proof the application whilst allowing the user to use the large installed base of 32 bit applications untill 64 bit gets in to its stride.

Best and Warm Regards
Adrian Wainer

I just built a new system with an OEM version of XP Professional, with it I got an upgrade redemption form for Vista Business. The upgrade web site requires me to choose the 64 bit DVD, or the 32 bit DVD. I have until March 15 to upgrade, I think I will wait a while and see what others think about the 64 bit version.

I just built a new system with an OEM version of XP Professional, with it I got an upgrade redemption form for Vista Business. The upgrade web site requires me to choose the 64 bit DVD, or the 32 bit DVD. I have until March 15 to upgrade, I think I will wait a while and see what others think about the 64 bit version.

yeah like i mentioned its problably a limitation to OEM versions but the actual retail ones shouldnt be tied to any such choice.

I have Windows XP Professional x64, it has a 32 bit emulation mode but it can have problems with 32 bit application programmes. Also drivers for devices e.g. graphics cards, printers, joysticks etc need to be 64bit compatible e.g. my 6600GT Palit PCI Express Graphics Card that I first installed on the computer as a new build had no 64bit driver in the box and the 64 bit driver I downloaded from Palit didn't work but the Gainward 7600GT Bliss Golden sample had a 64 bit driver on the instillation CD that came in the box with the card, and it worked fine. So it would prudent to expect these sort of issues with Windows Vista 64, untill and if, user experience proves otherwise. A funny thing about Windows XP Professional x64 is that apparently old software can be more compatible with it than some of the newer stuff e.g. Microsoft Flight Simulator FS2002 installed without a hitch but FS2004 would not install some stuff and I had to do a partial install with FS2004 from the CDs and then copy some folders from a FS2004 that was running in a Windows XP home edition enviroment to complete the FS2004 instillation.

Best and Warm Regards
Adrian Wainer

Last edited by a moderator:

Works good, way better than Win XP x64 Pro did.
It's gonna be mainstream soon enough, and if you have a x64 CPU, it would really be a waste to leave all those new registers idle running in 32bit mode...

Back