Digital Foundry Retro Discussion [2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.
some extra info about this port:

"This repository contains a work-in-progress port of the Perfect Dark decompilation to modern platforms.

To run the port, you must already have a Perfect Dark ROM, specifically the ntsc-final/revision 1 version(md5 e03b088b6ac9e0080440efed07c1e40f). StatusCurrently only 32-bit platforms are supported, namely x86 Windows and Linux.

Note that 32-bit binaries will still work on 64-bit versions of those platforms, though you might have to install some additional libraries.The game is in a somewhat functional but probably unstable state. There are major graphical issues, minor audio issues and possibly other issues. Splitscreen modes currently do not work.

There are currently no "extra features" implemented except for janky mouselook, arbitrary resolution support (with partial widescreen support) and somewhat expanded heap size."

Perfect Dark PC port by fgsfdsfgs, info & download:

It seems impressive but I find the RetroTink prices just stupidly and inexcusably expensive.

It seems impressive but I find the RetroTink prices just stupidly and inexcusably expensive.
the price isn't totally settled, rumour says it might be around 1000$. For the typical end user it might depend, for DF it has a lot of interesting features, and also the "perfect" 4K upscaling is a plus for anyone. I have a Roland Synth that cost me 400$ -the Roland SD-50, nice sound and the last Roland Sound Canvas like hardware synth- but if I ever wanted something similar but better I'd get the Roland Integra, which costs areoud 1600$.

New DF Retro video. Never had the original game, so I can't comment on it:

the price isn't totally settled, rumour says it might be around 1000$. For the typical end user it might depend, for DF it has a lot of interesting features, and also the "perfect" 4K upscaling is a plus for anyone. I have a Roland Synth that cost me 400$ -the Roland SD-50, nice sound and the last Roland Sound Canvas like hardware synth- but if I ever wanted something similar but better I'd get the Roland Integra, which costs areoud 1600$.

New DF Retro video. Never had the original game, so I can't comment on it:

Mike Chi said to budget $1000 and you will likely be pleasantly surprised.

How is that an argument for putting an exorpitant price tag?
Because its an amazing, unique, niche product with at least 10 years of support? There's a reason nobody else does the things it does as well, and it's not that the hardware is anything special. If its price is "exorpitant" to you then obviously the product isn't meant for you.

Because its an amazing, unique, niche product with at least 10 years of support? There's a reason nobody else does the things it does as well, and it's not that the hardware is anything special. If its price is "exorpitant" to you then obviously the product isn't meant for you.

And how does this not make a $1000 price tag not exorpitant?
A good argument for you would have been to provide the BOM and other assosciated costs. But what you describe is the luxury for them to overcharge.

How is that an argument for putting an exorpitant price tag?
The price is set by how much the market is willing to pay. To some people, it's worth $1000 and if he can make x number of units and sell them all at $1000, he'd be daft/benevolent to sell the same units far cheaper. The only reasons to sell cheaper are either to do the world a favour or because he can't shift stock and needs to price lower.

The price is set by how much the market is willing to pay. To some people, it's worth $1000 and if he can make x number of units and sell them all at $1000, he'd be daft/benevolent to sell the same units far cheaper. The only reasons to sell cheaper are either to do the world a favour or because he can't shift stock and needs to price lower.
I know how the market works. Profit maximization = exorpitant price where they have the luxury to sell it at that price. Your reply isnt adding anything new on the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back