Digital Foundry Retro Discussion [2024]

the art style didn't help the game, even with all the use of normal mapping trying to hide the low amount of polygons. I liked the outdoors landscape of Mars though, when you travel in the cart over the planet's surface.
And the overall rounded shape of the pistol.

Still a very iconic game, I completed it several times, but never completed the expansions although I started to play them. It was an impressive game for the Xbox. And I had more genuine fun in the second playthrough when I had the soul cube.

What I missed the most compared to the originals is the hordes of enemies.

It's an iD game from the Carmack days and it shows. Artistically it is a bit bland in many ways, though graphically impressive. Doom 1 and 2 weren't that great artistically wise, and some maps looked horrible. But if you combined the right textures some maps looked nice. Still, Quake 1 is imho the pinnacle of yesteryear's iD Software. artistically wise, it was so inspired that it doesn't look like a iD -or Carmack- game.
I actually like the looks of the original Doom games. There is something about it's visuals that is timeless, diachronic and charming to this day even if the technology is outdated by decades

I just realized, DF is owned by IGN now, right through their parent company, Gamer Network, right? Doesn’t that mean they and NxGamer work for the same company? I think he’s only featured part-time, but it’d be interesting to see them work together.

Back