Digital Foundry Retro Discussion [2022]

I entered the naming contest they had for it.
When they announced the winner, I remember thinking "GeForce" was stupid.
I suppose it could have been worse, though.

Top stuff. I had a 256.

I had a 256 but it left a bad taste in my mouth because a few months later the ddr ones hit and were much faster. I ended up moving over to the radeon chips and didn't move back to the 5800 and then back to amd until the 3080

It served me just fine for a while. I did switch to Radeon for my next couple of cards I think.

Last edited:
In this episode, John Linneman and Audi Sorlie discuss various news from the retro community over the last few months, including the exciting updates for the MiSTer project, OpenLara bringing Tomb Raider to 3DO, Castlevania whipped up on the Amiga and so much more

Timestamps
00:00:00 Introductions
00:02:37 Mortal Kombat Arcade Edition
00:11:30 RetroTink 5X experimental firmware
00:18:46 OpenLara comes to 3DO and...Jaguar?
00:23:41 MiSTer project gets CDXA support
00:30:29 MiSTer Multi-System
00:35:16 Castlevania comes to Amiga
00:38:35 All Your Base Are Belong To ToaPlan
00:42:12 Affinity Sorrow
00:47:00 Shadow Gangs
00:50:37 Bomberman Atari Jaguar prototype recovered
00:55:06 Final Fantasy 7 25th Anniversary
01:07:35 Retro Youtube Recommendation: BastichB 64K Arcade Documentary
01:09:53 Retro Youtube Recommendation: RetroRGB interviews Pandemonium
01:12:55 Retro Youtube Recommendation: MliG The Games We Played in 2021
01:14:48 Next DF Retro episode revealed!

I skipped the Geforce 256, I was riding my Voodoo3 until it wouldn't play games anymore, then I switched to a PowerVR Kyro, had that for about a year and then jumped to a Geforce 3. Honestly, had I purchased a Geforce 256 or DRR, I probably would have not upgraded my main system until the Geforce 4 came out. That era, though, was really fun for graphics cards. I had that Kyro and a friends had a Savage 2000, and the time we spent tweaking to get games working or performing properly was often just as fun as the games themselves.

I skipped the Geforce 256, I was riding my Voodoo3 until it wouldn't play games anymore, then I switched to a PowerVR Kyro, had that for about a year and then jumped to a Geforce 3. Honestly, had I purchased a Geforce 256 or DRR, I probably would have not upgraded my main system until the Geforce 4 came out. That era, though, was really fun for graphics cards. I had that Kyro and a friends had a Savage 2000, and the time we spent tweaking to get games working or performing properly was often just as fun as the games themselves.

Those were the days of driver-problems, tweaking, OC'ing, often 'needing' to upgrade as graphics were not held back as much and scaling wasnt really a thing yet. While the GF4 series were very capable, soon enough HL2 would favor the 9700 series from ati.

Those were the days of driver-problems, tweaking, OC'ing, often 'needing' to upgrade as graphics were not held back as much and scaling wasnt really a thing yet. While the GF4 series were very capable, soon enough HL2 would favor the 9700 series from ati.
Oh, for sure. I went from that GF3 to a Radeon 8500, a sidegrade more than anything, but I moved that GF3 to my wife's computer and I was more comfortable tweaking settings with that radeon. And then I got a 9700, and that card was like the Voodoo 3 for me. Kept it for a long time. Actually, I think it was about 2 years, and while that won't seam like a long time, I was upgrading every year back then. And I only upgraded because a friend bought a Radeon X700pro (I think), and for whatever reason it wouldn't work in his system but it worked in mine, so we traded. The card I got from him was 20%ish faster, but I was happy enough with that 9700 where I would have had it for at least a year or two more.

But I miss those days, when tweaking settings gave you massive differences in performance or image quality. I really miss the options available on the Kyro. I wouldn't say the drivers were the best, but the way per game profiles were handled at the time were great. Also, I had this program called 3D Analyzer or something like that which could spoof graphics card IDs (so games would detect your graphics card as a different one), spoof capabilities (like HW T&L), force max texture size, along with other things. It was so great to run demos that "required" a specific graphics card, or games that had extra features with certain cards, or take a game that had textures that exceeded your video cards local memory by capping texture size. Good times.

Good times.

These where the days where visuals were 'generational leaping' every year or so. I thought the first Unreal was quite impressive, then we got Doom 3, HL2, far cry, FEAR, wolfenstein etc etc etc. Actually good games also at the time :p
The same for the consoles around that time, i really enjoyed the PS2, Xbox and GC, they had this enormous graphical leaps aswell, not as much as the PC, but going from launch day PS2 games to things like GoW, ghostbusters, MGS2/3, ratchet & clank 1 to 3, SoTC, ZoE2, Jak 1 to 3, GT3 and 4.... Same for the Xbox and GC. Considering the amount of games releasing much more tightly onto eachother, it was good times indeed. For all platforms. Thats not even talking the 3rd party/cross-platform releases at the time. There were things like Timesplitters, SSX etc which were console exclusive.
7th gen wasnt the same thing, neither 8th and today's is the most 'meh'. But thats how it is, on all platforms.

There were things like Timesplitters
As an easter egg within Homefront: The Revolution (developed by Dambuster Studios and released by Deep Silver in 2016), players could use an in-game arcade machine to play the first two levels of TimeSplitters 2, remade in high-definition.During 2021 interviews, developer Matt Phillips revealed that the game actually contained a full 4K resolution remake of the game.The unlock code required to access the full version (including multiplayer features, if the arcade machine were moved to a different map) had since been lost by Phillips: however, he had given it previously to a friend to "leak" in a Discord channel (which the friend had been banned for from the channel),thereby allowing Xbox principal software engineer Spencer Perreault to obtain the code several days after the interview and share it on Twitter.An insider source later confirmed to Eurogamer that the unlock codes were from the original game (likely for testing or press versions) and that the easter egg had only ever been intended to cover the first two levels; however, the fastest way to include those levels was to include the full story mode, with a "soft-lock" in place.Dambuster only realised there was a way to unlock the full game after Homefront shipped.

Fully agree with John's observation about visual density in modern games. It's discouraging to be confronted with that immediately and know that you're going to have to spend so much time examining your environment to figure out what you're supposed to be doing. I like to finish everything, but when I do abandon a game, it typically has that particular problem (example: Homefront the Revolution).

Back