Digital Foundry: Microsoft Xbox One X & S supports Freesync 2 [2017-04-11]

VRR support is a differentiating feature in a market where manufacturers are struggling for ways to make their products stand out. It will definitely see some support and will be a feature that I specifically look for when I do my ultimate no-compromises TV upgrade.

Which will be obsolete in a week :p

Very nice news, although support seems very very limited at first. It is only over HDMI 2.1, which apparently only a few PC monitors currently have.

Personally I do not care too much about these techs as I'm not a super frame rate sensitive type. But no doubt the idea of it may be more powerful than the reality.

Is Freesync over HDMI dependent on HDMI 2.1? That wasn't my understanding. I know Freesync over HDMI monitors are rare, or even non-existent.

Ethernet via HDMI is a part of HDMI 1.4. http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/index.aspx It is 1st in highlights.

I see your point but given that wireless connectivity became the mainstay of connecting devices to internet its easy to see why this feature never took off.

But whats the alternative to VRR? There is no current outside solution offered by consoles or PCs that allows variable refresh on TVs. And neither Nvidia, AMD, Sony or MS is planning some alternative solution that has the possibility of wide adoption in the future.

Last edited:
How big an update is it to TV's to enable this?

It sounds nice for the x360 & x1 bc games but aren't they all vsynced already due to the over head afforded by Scorpio.
If that's the case 90% of those games won't benefit from freesync at all.

It is a really good forward facing feature though, guess for some games if your running on freesync display you could tell it to run at max quaility, and benefit with unlocked frame rate, and have smooth framerate.

Usual DF, new video and article for this one bit of information, it's like pulling teeth sometimes.:LOL:
with freesync, you'd run with vsync disabled. Likely the drivers would have to detect a freesync device and globally disable vsync for all games for this to work.

Not terribly interesting, I doubt many TV sets support freesync.
Maybe a feature for pro gamers.

pro gamers? I see it as being more targeted at the high quality enthusiast, the people who right now have an HDR TV and so on...
if by pro gamer you mean those people that compete for money and so on, they normally don't care about quality, and for them no vsync at all is ideal.

on the PC a surprisingly high number of displays supports freesync right now, even if it only works at the moment with AMD cards (which are a minority of the market), because it's an extension to the VESA specs and relatively simple to implement and works well as a feature for marketing.

I think it makes perfect sense to support Freesync, if you look at the PS4 PRO quite a few games are running at mid 40s, or could be running at mid 40s but are locked at 30, and mid 40s feels a lot better than 30 if you can eliminate stuttering and tearing,

Which will be obsolete in a week :p

Always a risk, but the best you can do is pay attention to tech developments and get in once all of the improvements you care about are implemented. Got in at the introduction of 1080p plasma and towards the end of 1080p DLP (60" for $700!) and got to skip the 3D crap entirely. Then got burned by cheap ($699) 4K, but recovered with insanely cheap ($380), but surprisingly good (even having poor-man's HDR!), 4K a year later. Overall, I've gotten pretty good value so I'll take my chances. :cool:

with freesync, you'd run with vsync disabled. Likely the drivers would have to detect a freesync device and globally disable vsync for all games for this to work.
was more thinking that x360 & x1 bc games sounds like they should be rock solid frame rate wise.
good check box none the less, and shows commitment to the older games library.

was more thinking that x360 & x1 bc games sounds like they should be rock solid frame rate wise.
good check box none the less, and shows commitment to the older games library.
lol they aren't =P, besides you'd probably rather have Scorpio run those titles at full tilt and let adaptive sync deal with the display stuff.

Why stop at 30fps, when you can run 35-55 smoothly?

Why would v-sync be disabled? Contrary to popular belief Freesync works with V-sync On or Off. Actually it even works better when V-sync is enabled as it ensure that you are within the FreeSync range 100% of the time.

Why would v-sync be disabled? Contrary to popular belief Freesync works with V-sync On or Off. Actually it even works better when V-sync is enabled as it ensure that you are within the FreeSync range 100% of the time.
huh, no. You want it disabled, freesync and gsync are best with uncapped framerates, as the technology is meant to deal with this. The GPU triggers when the image on the monitor is refreshed.
edit: unless you are referring to clamping the frame rate to not exceed the refresh rate of the display. Which I agree, you probably should do.

Last edited:
huh, no. You want it disabled, freesync and gsync are best with uncapped framerates, as the technology is meant to deal with this. The GPU triggers when the image on the monitor is refreshed.
Not at all... Trust me I have a Freesync monitor and know how it works... Freesync works with either V-Sync On or Off. With Vsync On you also have the additional benefit of not having screen tearing when the game drops below the Freesync range (40Hz).

Bonus Slide: http://www.amd.com/Documents/freesync-lfc.pdf

Not at all... Trust me I have a Freesync monitor and know how it works... Freesync works with either V-Sync On or Off. With Vsync On you also have the additional benefit of not having screen tearing when the game drops below the Freesync range (40Hz).

Bonus Slide: http://www.amd.com/Documents/freesync-lfc.pdf
Hmm. I use gsync maybe the setup is different and I just assumed it was he same. With gsync we run gsync on and no vsync in game. If you add vsync it has to be driver based to limit the upper threshold of monitor refresh, but if you have 144Hz it's unlikely to go over.

I can assure you that in my family console gaming is of the highest priority when buying a TV.
I am definitely going to buy Scorpio when it comes out. If it supports Freesync, it will affect my next TV purchase. I am still using an old Panasonic 1080p plasma. Waiting for 4K HDR OLEDs to drop in price (and HDR tech to mature). Scorpio launch would be an excellent time to upgrade my TV to 4K/HDR/Freesync, if good reasonably priced models with these features are available.

I am definitely going to buy Scorpio when it comes out. If it supports Freesync, it will affect my next TV purchase. I am still using an old Panasonic 1080p plasma. Waiting for 4K HDR OLEDs to drop in price (and HDR tech to mature). Scorpio launch would be an excellent time to upgrade my TV to 4K/HDR/Freesync, if good reasonably priced models with these features are available.
Same here (actually got 2)..the only way forward is this monster... http://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/televisions/4KTV/tx-65ez1002b.html ...8000€..o_O

Is Freesync and VRR the same thing?
Could a TV have VRR and not be considered freesync and just be part of the HDMI 2.1 spec?

I kind of understand what it does, but my question focuses on does it limit my choices to freesync certified TV/monitors. I thought that if HDMI 2.1 VRR becomes a standard that whether it was gsync or freesync certified wouldn't be a consideration.

Is Freesync and VRR the same thing?
Could a TV have VRR and not be considered freesync and just be part of the HDMI 2.1 spec?

I kind of understand what it does, but my question focuses on does it limit my choices to freesync certified TV/monitors. I thought that if HDMI 2.1 VRR becomes a standard that whether it was gsync or freesync certified wouldn't be a consideration.
They are meant to solve the same problems, but their implementation may differ (as you can see where Ike Turner and I had disagreements on implementation).

Back