Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2016 - 2017]

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by Rangers, Jan 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

I think I agree with the point about Unity devs. I think they're more about getting it out there. UE is hardly fabulous though. At least it wasn't on PS3, even AAA titles. It just wasn't a well optimised engine on that hardware. I suppose if there's any platform it's weaker on now, it'll likely be XB1 as PS4 shares a lot with PC. The engine may be overlooking some PS4 optimisation options though via HSA etc.

2. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Agreed, but UE has a better reputation with regards to performance and features than Unity. Whether deserved or not.

Regards,
    SB

3. Rangers

Legend

DF is actually all over the map here. There older tests show no difference between PS4 and XBO internal drive speeds. And also, no major difference in loading times (in most cases) between an SSD and non SSD for XBO.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-xbox-one-external-hard-drive-upgrade-guide

How could things have changed so massively?

Now their new article shows huge differences with no explanation.

This Fallout 4 HDD test seems to fall somewhere in the middle of all of the above http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...d-drives-boost-xbox-one-fallout-4-performance

Further, if you read comments, some will claim a 7200 RPM mechanical drive should be/is as fast/faster as a 5400 RPM Hybrid SSD (while much cheaper per GB). And DF's old 2014 article seems to bear this out. DF makes no mention of what speed their tested hybrid is (7200 or 5400) in their 2016 article (to be fair, Seagate seems to keep it hidden as well)

I'm confused, and it's annoying.

Also, as the Eurogamer comments mention, it would be really nice if somebody tested the load times with the XBO Elite console, which has a hybrid drive, somebody claimed it could be fastest because it uses internal Sata (3?)?

The trim issue in these comments being unclear also makes me wonder about purchasing an SSD or Hybrid for XBO use.

BRiT likes this.
  4. 3dilettante

Legend Alpha

A hybrid drive shouldn't be concerned about TRIM, as the flash portion is managed by the drive itself as a cache, rather than listing itself as an SSD that an OS would send TRIM commands to.
    That might be one thing that mitigates some of the uncertainty of SSDs for the consoles, although I am curious if there is any provision for disk defragmentation that a hybrid drive's platters could still benefit from.

BRiT and Rangers like this.
  5. Silent_Buddha

Legend

It could also be that Microsoft and/or Sony have sourced different drives at different points in their life. That could lead to a wide variety of performance characteristics.

None of those articles states what condition the internal stock drive was at either. Was the drive full? Nearly full? Had it been in use prior to the review? Meaning was the game tested installed on the outer tracks or the inner tracks? That could have a significant impact on load times as well.

I'd also be curious to see whether Microsoft bothered to include (or will include) Trim on the XBO. Especially as it converges more and more with Windows. Did they foresee users adding external SSD drives? Or did they just leave it off?

Regards,
    SB

6. damienw

Regular

UE3 in Arkham Knight is pretty good on consoles.

7. Starx

Regular Newcomer

DSoup likes this.
  8. Silent_Buddha

Legend

If I were to hazard a guess, the ship and most outdoor areas are likely more GPU than CPU limited, hence the PS4 leads as expected. In the Paris area they mention far larger crowds of people (AI actors). It's quite likely then that it's more CPU than GPU limited in that case (more AI actors, more CPU required for AI and pathing). And the XBO lead is within the bounds of the CPU lead it has in hardware.

I'd expect anywhere with a large enough crowd of AI actors will potentially give the XBO that small 3-5 FPS advantage. But otherwise PS4 should lead in FPS everywhere else.

Regards,
    SB

9. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

Is my PS4 dying or something?

The Division hovers around 20 something fps on indoor areas with only ONE enemy.

It randomly have 0 fps for a few seconds while traversing the world.

But DF says it relatively stable

10. ThePissartist

Veteran Regular

Connection issues possibly?

11. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

hmm, from what i see, The Division prefer to rubberband and blink other network stuff rather than yourself and your world. (like... enemy suddenly in front of you, enemy moving back and forth. you yourself always able to animate just fine and shoot just fine despite the damage my come 5 seconds later)

12. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Legend Veteran

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-performance-analysis-the-division

Resolution:
    PS4 Performance:
    XB1 Performance:

13. Clukos

Clukos Bloodborne 2 when?
    Veteran Newcomer

14. tuna

Veteran

Ori looks to be a really simple 2D game. I think the GC based design of Unity (and their inability to update the Mono core) does not really fit any real time system. But I think GCs are crap anyway ("You can put the GC on a seperate core!" Of course that core has to compete for memory access with all the rest of the jobs you do.)

chris1515 likes this.
  15. Egmon83

Regular Newcomer

I believe the CPU-lead is wishful thinking at best, which has been debunked every single time and to this day only manifested in 1-3 badly optimised Ubisoft marketing deal games, being patched out in the weeks after anyway. The reason for the difference in frames in this case is because PS4 renders more or better shadows(/AO?) in that scene:

[​IMG]
    ^^^^ the pole things have shadows on PS4

[​IMG]

^^^ here xbox shadows contain less samples and are more washed out or something.

There are many more differences but I don't really have time for this

16. nightshade

nightshade Wookies love cookies!
    Veteran

Well here's the thing, Ori is a 2D game and while it is fairly complex with it's metroid style levels, it is still akin to those Ubiart games in terms of tech. And yet it cannot run at perfect 60FPS as it still has drops.

Imo a developer would get more out of UE3 than they would out of any other engine right now, Unity is ofcourse easy to use and great for people who are not technically minded, but ironically it also requires a lot of experience and technical knowledge in order to find a workaround to its performance issues.

17. Allandor

Regular Newcomer

looks like gamma differences for me. also the angle is not 100% the same, so it might be the viewing-angle
    PS4 image is general daker than the xbox's.

18. TheWretched

Regular

The game is also very CPU demanding on PC in the Paris level, at least much more so, than in the tutorials before it.

19. Clukos

Clukos Bloodborne 2 when?
    Veteran Newcomer

New video

Egmon83 likes this.
  20. DSoup

DSoup Series Soup
    Legend Veteran

The developers shared their experiences of chosing and using Unity for Ori at Develop 2014.

temesgen, Silent_Buddha and Clukos like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.