Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2015]

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by DSoup, Jan 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rikimaru

Veteran Newcomer

I think UC3 and UC4 have very good per object motion blur which does not degrade image quality.

Sadly most developers do not apply effects wisely (ugh chromatic aberration).

2. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Legend Veteran

Batman Arkham

London Geezer likes this.
  3. Gitaroo

Veteran

newer high end Sony Bravia TV has something called "motionflow impulse" that is like lightboost.

Cyan likes this.
  4. TheWretched

Regular

Samsungs do as well, and it's called LED Clear Motion... but you need to get used to it... the crt-like flickering is quite notable. But the added clarity is also nice. I usually do not enable it, as I use most of my devices in PC mode to get 4:4:4 chroma and lower input lag... all that disables all "improvement" algorithms.

5. Gitaroo

Veteran

Sony tv handle processing and input lag better in most case, motion flow impulse added very little input lag, and their FHD set are all native 4:4:4 chrome in game and graphic mode and you and still turn on motion flow impulse. Their new 2015 4K set can achieve 20ms input lag (I believe it is the lowest yet) without disabling FALD unlike samsung. Guessing their new 4X X1 processers are doing their work.

Cyan likes this.
  6. Laa-Yosh

Laa-Yosh I can has custom title?
    Legend Subscriber

I wanted to repeat this, because it offers room for performance optimizations which many offline renderers have been exploiting for a while now, particularly Pixar's Renderman. You can drastically reduce the number of shading samples because the details can't be seen anyway. I wonder if games are able to take advantage of this, it should offer some nice benefits.

However there is another potential issue - it can become problematic to maintain nice strong specular highlights, which on the other hand is very easily noticeable.

7. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Potentially one can factor the motion vectors into the shaders. I don't know if anyone does this.

8. nightshade

nightshade Wookies love cookies!
    Veteran

Just try to shake your hand in front of your face, not even fast just slowly, you won't be able to track it and hence get some motion blur. What I am trying to say is that it does happen even at slow speed. Better yet just lift up your leg and try to track it while you move it sideways and then try up&down ...you'll see evidence of object and camera motion blur both ;)

hesido and Billy Idol like this.
  9. hesido

Regular

A more vivid example would be a spinning color wheel turning white: http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/lab/experiments/disappearing-color-wheel
    This doesn't only happen in a camera view, but right in front of one's eyes of course! May sound an extreme example due to speed of rotation but still, it's an entire loss of "fidelity" if you think about it.

I never thought about it this way, this sounds very promising. Coupling this with re-projection with error margin thresholds Sebbi talked about in a few of his posts could make for nice optimizations, and it may even balance out the uneven amount of rendering that would need to be done between frames, because that unevenness would probably come from motion anyway and those could be hidden with blur!

bunge and Cyan like this.
  10. Laa-Yosh

Laa-Yosh I can has custom title?
    Legend Subscriber

Exactly, this is in some ways a low hanging fruit - but I wouldn't be surprised if the current hw architectures aren't really fit for it yet.

11. Lalaland

Regular

Cyan, Shortbread and DSoup like this.
  12. function

function None functional
    Legend Veteran

Given that the virtual 360 is still a relativity new piece of software (and a hugely challenging one at that), there's hope that performance will improve for the more challenging titles before the emulator is out of Beta (still some months to go).

Hopefully MS will stick with it and continue to improve performance over the lifetime of the X1.

FarticusMaximus and Shortbread like this.
  13. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Its not bad consider on the original MassEffect x360 there are times where it runs 15-20 fps range.

14. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

Wrex

15. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

As for the motion blur, even at 60fps it can be an improvement if used well. Tekken was a good example of that, where motion looked much smoother. You should be able to find some comparisons still because the Xbox version didn't have it at first I think.

16. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

That was the game that switched resolutions based on OMB, wasn't it?

17. Arwin

Moderator Legend

Was it? I know it did that for heavy transparancy effects, but can't remember in relation to OMB

18. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

Vaguely recall something about 1360*768, and then it switched to like 576p lol

edit:

ah here it is

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/xbox-360-vs-ps3-face-off-round-22-face-off?page=2

That seems insane that OMB would necessitate a 44% drop.o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

19. Arwin

Moderator Legend

Ah, on the 360! They had SPU OBM on PS3, probably didn't have much of a clue how to do it on 360?

20. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

mm... actually, I wonder now if the dual memory pool might have something to do with it because 360 had to texture from GDDR3 while PS3 could do that from both memory spaces, effectively double bandwidth or thereabouts.

derpedit:

hm..

Maybe framebuffer limited regardless for PS3 (GDDR3).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.