Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2014]

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by DieH@rd, Jan 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HTupolev

Regular

Destiny beta comparison between PS3 and PS4:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-vs-destiny-ps3-beta

Baffled by the comment about water not reflecting bodies and effects, as the game uses screen-space reflections. When the SSR is hitting, if *ought* to reflect bodies just fine, and when there are misses, it looks like it fades to something that sort of looks like an extraordinarily simplified planar reflection which fails to reflect a lot more than just bodies.

2. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

Strange... I'm pretty sure the water reflects the other player in the original demonstrations, particularly when the other player runs ahead in the tunnel with the giant fan.

I've only spent a small amount of time with the PS3 version & solo, so I haven't really checked it out.

3. SlimJim

Banned

4. function

function None functional
    Legend Veteran

DF were looking at the performance of the relative hardware.

There is no way to predict what frame rate caps or resolutions developers will target.

Caps and resolution selection immediately mean you are not directly comparing the performance of the hardware.

5. Npl

Npl
    Veteran

There can be more subtle things, harder to measure in a single simple procent-scale. Draw distance, LOD, additional or higher quality effects. The more the game is adopted to both plattforms the harder and more useless it is to measure just how many pixels appear on the screen in a second.

The article was about the relative performance on the same games - down the every bit of code. And it never claimed to be more than that.
    Its like pointing out that no American Family has 3 and 0.14 kids lying around, even they should on average.

6. pMax

Regular Newcomer

Those are all UMD parts - did they write the KMD as well?

7. ERP

ERP Moderator
    Moderator Veteran

Yes as far as I am aware they wrote all of it.

8. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

Ok, so I've looked at it a bit more. Everything can reflect. It's just that the angles really matter (and basically view cam distance). It's an odd one to see.

---

Shadows on 360 have jittered filter too.

9. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

Beta Beta Beta - Remember just Beta!

Tech Analysis: Destiny beta on Xbox One

10. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

How does the frame spacing bug happen in the first place, and will it affect a load more games?

11. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

RE: Need for Speed Rivals:

12. taisui

Regular

So because IGN got the exclusive 1080p capture, without the navtive DF uses the IGN video screen cap for comparison...just because?

13. Lalaland

Regular

I'd say it's mostly because if they didn't discuss the 1080p IGN screens they'd get accused of being SonyPonies or what have you. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't to my mind, they clearly highlighted why it was mostly a useless exercise.

14. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

What defines the render interval? Is that an AMD 'driver' setting, or something specific to Sony's SDK? I suppose a few high profile cases like these will ensure devs remember to set it correctly. Seems a weird feature though. Asynchronous output. What for? AMD's flexible refresh rate tech? If so, are we looking at hardware support in the consoles for variable refresh on a suitable monitor?

15. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

FWIW, AMD Catalyst (CCC) has a specific setting dealing with Frame Pacing. I'm not a 100% sure (remember) seeing a frame pacing setting in Nvidia's control panel. It's weird though, frame pacing issues seems more common across AMD GPUs. But it could be strictly a driver/software issue more so than hardware.

16. taisui

Regular

If the source material is not good enough, then just don't do it...

Can anyone honest say the middle image looks more 'crisp' than the other 2?

[​IMG]

17. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

[strike]I thought it had something to do with the tic rate in the engine (for physics/animation etc. vs render rate). Maybe it was something else. Dunno. :oops:[/strike]

18. HTupolev

Regular

There's often a lot to be seen even in images with compression artifacts. Anything that's sufficiently low-frequency will stand out (presence of certain details and effects, some aliasing including on poor shadows, some LOD discrepencies, etc), and you could get a sense for performance if you have a video.

Nobody is arguing that it's a perfect comparison, but as long as there's the disclaimer that it's compressed footage, I'm not seeing that it's a huge issue.

19. 3dilettante

Legend Alpha

The quote seems to put this on the renderer, not the system. The renderer seems to be monitoring a timer and waiting to present a frame at the defined interval, but the interval is set too short and is allowing the renderer to present the next frame before 1/30 sec that the rest of the game assumes has passed. That means that frame comes too soon, and could in subsequent frames not have something available in time for the appropriate 1/30 increment because of the mismatch.

20. Scott_Arm

Legend

Curious quote. If they haven't tested the 1080p version of the game, how do they know it is not enough GPU horsepower to "bridge the gap"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.