Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be really surprised if Bungie chose to up to 1080p at the expense of having a terrible framerate. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out. Honest, if they don't stay pretty close to 30fps, I'd rather they just keep the resolution at 900p. The beta has me leaning towards getting the game, because it plays very well. Unfortunately there might not be much value in the expectations that are built from the beta. Here's hoping.

Have bungie explicitly said destiny xb1 will be 1920x1080?

Usually near the end of a project you have exhausted all the big wins (which are generally content related anyway) and are fighting for a couple percent gain at best.

Usually near the end of a project you have exhausted all the big wins (which are generally content related anyway) and are fighting for a couple percent gain at best.

isn't the Kinect reserved resources now being used by the game a factor in this?

They said it will be 1080p and they did a demo for ign. Ign posted a video but it's compressed.

DF posted their early article of The Last of Us: Remastered. They will post their full PS3/PS4 comparison tomorrow.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-vs-the-last-of-us-remastered

Not quite a locked 60fps. Lowest point was 48fps, but stays at or very close to 60fps for the most part. I actually expected worse.

The Last of Us may have got the remastered treatment and look great with some enhancements allowed by the more powerful HW but its still a PS3 game technically at its core. So it begs the question how will they manage 60fps at 1080p with a full fledged next gen title if LOU experiences frame rate dips without demonstrating the amazing IQ of the U4 trailer? Its a huge challenge which I hope doesnt repeat the story we got with MGS4. It also promised 60fps, and other things that were cut

1. Porting from the PS3 was probably not easy because the PS3 is a completely different beast.
2. Who knows how much time ND had, and how many people worked on TLoU:R. I'm willing to bet that U4 will have a hell of a lot more time and work put into it.
3. Are you seriously doubting ND!? :p

After the trust I showed also for Konami and MGS4 back then?

Yes :p

*runs away*

(But I do hope they surprise me)

1. Porting from the PS3 was probably not easy because the PS3 is a completely different beast.
2. Who knows how much time ND had, and how many people worked on TLoU:R. I'm willing to bet that U4 will have a hell of a lot more time and work put into it.
3. Are you seriously doubting ND!? :p

Yeah, they are probably porting stuff over to GPGPU as we speak.

Watching the 1080p/60fps video posted on DF now and it looks quite good all things considered. IQ is great... clean and sharp looking. Mind you I haven't played TLoU on PS3.

The chances are Uncharted will offer a locked 30fps mode and a fluctuating 60fps mode and allow people to choose.

Seems like the reasonable thing to do. Especially as people seem to love the option right now.

The chances are Uncharted will offer a locked 30fps mode and a fluctuating 60fps mode and allow people to choose.

Seems like the reasonable thing to do. Especially as people seem to love the option right now.
Yes, but I also wish they would add a lot more effects than just the HQ shadow at 30 lock. In fact I'm willing to bet if the final gameplay in UC4 would look anywhere close to the reveal trailer, 30fps is the only option they have. Everything in the trailer just looked too perfect, too good for the PS4.

After the trust I showed also for Konami and MGS4 back then?

Yes :p

*runs away*

(But I do hope they surprise me)

Can't blame them for that, they didn't know that the PS3 would end up being gimped compared to what they were working with.

If you imply that TLOU RE is a flucutating 60fps game then all previous COD games were also entirely fluctuating 60fps games.

Have you even watched the whole 15mn perf video?

The Last of Us may have got the remastered treatment and look great with some enhancements allowed by the more powerful HW but its still a PS3 game technically at its core. So it begs the question how will they manage 60fps at 1080p with a full fledged next gen title if LOU experiences frame rate dips without demonstrating the amazing IQ of the U4 trailer? Its a huge challenge which I hope doesnt repeat the story we got with MGS4. It also promised 60fps, and other things that were cut

Sebbbi has written a bit about how next-gen renderers are going to change. I think you'll see performance and graphical improvements. I wouldn't use The Last Of Us as any kind of indicator for future performance on the console. I'd wait for something that was built ground-up for next-gen. Uncharted 4 will probably be a much better benchmark.

Sebbbi has written a bit about how next-gen renderers are going to change. I think you'll see performance and graphical improvements.
Beat me to it. I'm sure that the port was somewhat hamstrung with being true to the original game than being an exercise in finding better ways to do the same thing on new hardware.

Sebbbi commented that many things using ROPS may transfer well to GPGPU but that means a rewrite if that part of the engine.

Not to downplay the effort and achievement by Naughty Dog, but the remaster is something undertaken in a year by a fraction of the company.

Has anyone got a link to the word of Sebbi?

Posts like this:
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1858046&postcount=6735

The next waves of games will include new techniques that provide smoother frame rate. For example compute shader based particle system (bin+gather, no overdraw) is generally around 3x faster than pixel shader / alpha blender based traditional particle system, but in the worst case (nearby explosion fills the screen with extreme overdraw) the compute shader based particle system is over 20x faster. This will grearly reduce the particle related hiccups. GPU driven rendering pipelines cut the draw call cost to almost zero, eliminating most of the fluctuation caused by varying visible object count.

However techniques like these require complete rewrite of the existing (CPU / pixel shader based) rendering engines, and are not at all compatible with last gen consoles or DX10 PCs. It will take some time.

Go through his post history and you'll find more posts with similar information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back