Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2013]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite only having played GTA IV right up to the first mission that had a shoot-out, I have a hard time not buying this one again. Will probably get bought tonight.

ha ha, same for me! Watch out for Mediamarkt: I got it for 50 Euros there...

Yeah, I always buy there. In fact, if you preorder you get an additional 5% discount always (plus sometimes the usual pre-order goodies). But I only do that for games I know I want. And I'm still not 100% decided, but probably need it as one of this gen's last hurrahs and because it's too socially ... important (for someone who is the central 'knows about games' person in his social circle by some distance)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-grand-theft-auto-5-face-off

It took them long enough, that's for sure. Though I can finally be a proud owner of a Rockstar game (on PS3)
The best part is that the 50 million dollar MS 6-month exclusive GTA5 DLC deal probably paid for about half of the development costs (the 170 million dollar number includes advertisement costs). :LOL:

In any way, I guess this should put to rest the general consensus that PS3 is only good at Uncharted while 360 excels in open world games.

Mmm the 360 version has a bad textures filtering...

or is it a glitch?

Could be both. It has bad texture filtering. It may be a bug patched out later.

Seems like a bug this big would be pretty weird considering the development time.

As a side note it's great that Rockstar streams from both disc and harddisk at the same time. That is one of the solutions we discussed on a whole other subject when we discussed maximizing streaming.

Not sure what's not to understand. What you are pointing are is the texture filtering quality, like I said, that is different from the asset streaming issue where installing on to a USB drive would solve.

Was anyone actually stupid enough to believe that?

3rd google result when you search on this website for "open world 360"

Think about how 360 exclusive titles generally are more open world style and how open world style multiplatforms performs on the 360 vs PS3. How PS3 exclusives are mostly highly linear which allows dev to much easier control what happens and what is rendered and take perfomance capabilities into consideration, reach a higher avg utilisation in preset scenes. In dynamic open world games this would not be possible in the same way becouse you cant predict all situations and how they affect perfomance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back