Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2012]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah noticed the article. Already had no regrets taking the PC version this time because once I dialed back the shadows it runs great with everything else maxed.

Still the game is not upscaled and has MSAA on consoles and that's still pretty impressive.

It's not MSAA.

I thought that the DF article said that, but yeah, when you think about what performance hit that has, especially on PS3, and given that this is an open world game, it didn't seem that likely.

Yeah, you're right, they did say that. XD There are certain edges that give it away (always 4-pixel long shades), but some do have a very MSAA-like look to them at certain angles (tweaked FXAA settings can give that look). The 360 one looks like a faux-4x at times, but it's clearly not.

What makes it even less likely is that they're using a fat G-buffer along with their approximate GI solution. :p

In the video, it looks like those lights flicker on and off randomly. There's still a bloom strength difference even from PC, so there's that too.

Though not a flawless one (color depth issue). But yeah, this game is only GPU bound as far as I know, and no harsh load-time requirements, so it seems a perfect candidate for being the best on the Wii U.

Except of course that if you've ever played it in stereo 3D on PC, it's totally irrelevant. ;)

Though not a flawless one (color depth issue). But yeah, this game is only GPU bound as far as I know, and no harsh load-time requirements, so it seems a perfect candidate for being the best on the Wii U.

Except of course that if you've ever played it in stereo 3D on PC, it's totally irrelevant. ;)

Unless you want to lie on the couch and game TV free :) But yeah it was nice to see some positive Wii U stuff in a FaceOff.

Joel from Frozenbyte commented there about a patch:

Just to be clear, we will indeed be updating the "washed out" look. The observation about gamma level is correct, as there was a bug in the game that applied excessive gamma to the final output. It went unnoticed until release but we have now fixed it. So the game will soon look even better (similar in colour to the other versions). We're estimating a mid-December release for the update, give or take a few days, and it will also include support for Wii U Pro Controller, Voice Chat, some languages, and some minor things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back