Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2024]

View attachment 11857

As the distance from the emitter to the screen decreases, you start to get skew on the beam. Think of standing a ways off from a wall and shining a torch on it - you get a spot of light wherever you shine. Now stand right up against the wall and shine the torch around - it starts to deform from a spot to an oval/parabola. Then of course the shape of containing vacuum 'tube' gets thinner which is a less than ideal shape to contain the vacuum.

For the years the CRTs were a tech, there was incredible interest in making them smaller and lighter, but they found nothing. The only future tech could be something producing advanced beam forming that could control the shape in realtime (not outside the realm of possibility) but you still have the issue with the physical requirements. You would never get thin displays. Maybe an 80" would be something like a foot/30cms deep and weigh 50+ kgs. Power draw would probably be mammoth.

CRT powered front projection has always been the best, you’d need to be running a small coke empire to have it at your house but when you had light controlled rooms it was superior to anything. It doesn’t count as a tv, but basically a tv is a smaller cheap miniature version of a screen with great image quality

PC video by Alex is up.
Those volumetric effects are spectacular. It's a shame that there are so many traversal stutters, and I imagine the PS5 version will have those as well. They are probably leaving a lot of performance on the table by using UE 5.0.0, both on the CPU and the GPU side, so with the success that they are having, a upgrade patch isn't impossible.

Upgrading to a version that supports vsm's would be a start, especially for lower end users.

Makes sense now why I found the motion blur in this game to be one of the worst. The excessive sharpening is adding noise to the image in general as well.

No thanks, I tried playing Witcher 3 next gen with RT shadows, the extremely obvious lack of shadow animation anywhere further than like 2 meters away and constant shadow LOD pop (now shadows get to very obviously lod pop too!) made me turn RT shadows off entirely after a while.
Those issues were fixed via patches.

That complaint doesn’t seem relevant here though. The CSMs are suffering from more artifacting and pop in than the RT stuff. So he’ll need to pick his poison. Static, clean shadows or noisy animated ones.
So in this game, the shadows were always animated with the full RT on in the tests I did. Though you could see that the most distant trees would have staggered update to bvh.

I really wish we could toggle on and off individual parts of the hardware-accelerated ray tracing. It’s either everything or nothing. For instance, the shadows look so much better with full rt but the added lighting tank performance to unacceptable levels for many. If only we could decouple them.

I really wish we could toggle on and off individual parts of the hardware-accelerated ray tracing. It’s either everything or nothing. For instance, the shadows look so much better with full rt but the added lighting tank performance to unacceptable levels for many. If only we could decouple them.
That would be nice. There is the issue though of two types of tracing going on though and maintaining separate structures for them... it could perhaps be extremely memory or performance intensive.
BVH + SDFs + two separate trace types.

But in general, I want those type of options here.

Ironic that the ultimate ambition of RT is a unified path-traced lighting solution and yet people want to use it piecemeal (for good reason).

Because instead of unified lighting, it's added another layer of complexity to the whole rendering process, the very opposite of what the dream of RTRT is and what we were/are wanting it to achieve.

Because instead of unified lighting, it's added another layer of complexity to the whole rendering process, the very opposite of what the dream of RTRT is and what we were/are wanting it to achieve.
Unfortunately most dont have the hardware to enjoy such a thing

Kinda inevitable during the transition period right? HWUB made an interesting observation. Medium RT wasn’t much more expensive than Cinematic Lumen and produced arguably better results. Hopefully we’ll get more opportunities to make those types of direct comparisons as we march along toward that unified RT nirvana.

PC video by Alex is up.
the capabilities of current gen CPUs is hitting consoles hard. The game runs better at 1080p and 40fps on a Rog Ally -which is inferior to a Series S, not to mention compared to a PS5- and with superior settings compared to PS5. Optimisation on consoles needs work. The game looks impressive though.

the capabilities of current gen CPUs is hitting consoles hard. The game runs better at 1080p and 40fps on a Rog Ally -which is inferior to a Series S, not to mention compared to a PS5- and with superior settings compared to PS5. Optimisation on consoles needs work.
Haven't tired the game yet but I'm legitimately confused by your statement here... the videos on that page look pretty bad quality-wise, certainly not comparable to the PS5 ones. Furthermore the "performance" quoted there is with frame generation, which isn't comparable with base/real performance on PS5 or with it off.

I mean at some level it's cool that you can play the game at all on these machines, but it's clearly not in the same league as the early PS5 videos I've seen, right? What am I missing?

Last edited:
Back