Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been playing Star Wars Jedi Survivor recently. Is this game cpu bound? I'm on a 10900k and 3080, but I can't seem to get a stable 60fps with RT on... Even 4k DLSS performance mode will drop to 40fps in the first city scene. And turning down settings & internal res doesn't seem to affect the upper fps limit i get ~ 55fps
Incidentally I just finished JS a week or so ago. #1 - I'd turn off RT. It has gotten better but it's not great in Jedi Survivor and IMO not worth the tradeoffs.

In terms of the heavy performance areas... it's honestly just the first part of the game. The Coruscant stuff and parts of the Koboh open world. The rest of the game runs perfectly fine and the gameplay and plot/narrative is well worth it IMO. Obviously it sucks that those scenes are overly heavy but it's also a shame that people are avoiding the game due to the fixation on those areas. I mostly played through the main plot and didn't do a ton of the side stuff on Koboh and other than the odd time you come back there to talk to someone or similar I didn't really experience any significant issues on my admittedly high end machine. Was mostly north of 100fps outside those initial areas.

The technical definition of this execution is "bloody amazing". That's something like 2 seconds to prep and launch into a completely different part of the entirety of New York with massive view distance. An additional second to load to local details in high fidelity as Miles is falling. Whether IO or SSD or software within how the game engine works, this points to geometry import being a 'solved problem' and highlights one of the great successes this generation has ushered in.
a dev said the button press gauge was just there so the player could cancel if wanted, but it's not a hidden loading.

Extremely impressive on all fronts. Props to Insomniac. I think next up should be the FX/volumetrics as the rest of it is so clean now that the large smoke particles in particular stand out.
Insomniac makes for a great case that more iteration and set achievable goals per title is going to produce better and faster results than a lot of studios that are going for single 6+ year dev cycles and then flopping.

This reduces the risks, makes more money, and they know clearly where they need to focus because they get the feedback with each release.

We'll be waiting a year or so only to find out that it's almost as fast on HDD. ;)

Nah this is likely a 2 year gap title as with Forbidden West. Remasters like TLOU, live service games are the ones that will undercut that, but I'd expect the big AAA titles to average closer to that 2 year gap.

I'm not waiting, but we'll see about double dipping like I did with the regular SM when the port comes.

a dev said the button press gauge was just there so the player could cancel if wanted, but it's not a hidden loading.
Not only that, but who even cares if it was loading during that time.. lmfao.. that's exactly the type of thing I'd commend a developer for doing. Masters of sleight of hand and trickery.

The fact that it's not though.. is pretty amazing.

Game is quite a bit more technically accomplished than I thought it would be based off the previous footage. Amazing stuff. The way the game fast travels and switches between characters is so god damn slick. They should be very proud of their work here.

Some gamers asked to be able to bypass the press gauge. The option will maybe be possible in a future patch.

That moves the load time to virtually nothing, with the drop from height being the 'loading transition'. The most external view is covered with simple boxes as detail is loaded in giving opportunity to load some stuff before you have to see it, but that's a tiny margin. You could also have a wipe or fade, a conventional visual transition, as enough. Which makes you wonder just how fast it can be and, if immediate was included, how much loading would be visible?

It's not the SSD that is really impactful here. It's the custom I/O hardware that is completely bypassing CPU and with super low latency.

No, it's the SSD. A PS5 with an HDD and all the other custom IO components would load data no faster than a PS4. A PS5 with it's NVMe drive but none of the other custom IO components would be capable of much more than the PS4 from an IO perspective. A PS5 with an NVMe, a bigger CPU and none of the other custom IO components would be capable of the majority of what the current PS5 is.

The rest of the IO components simply reduce - not eliminate, the CPU burden of dealing with the higher IO throughput that the SSD provides. And most of those components aren't even unique to the PS5 in the first place.

That moves the load time to virtually nothing, with the drop from height being the 'loading transition'. The most external view is covered with simple boxes as detail is loaded in giving opportunity to load some stuff before you have to see it, but that's a tiny margin. You could also have a wipe or fade, a conventional visual transition, as enough. Which makes you wonder just how fast it can be and, if immediate was included, how much loading would be visible?
Fast travel loading without the fake loading bar (that lasts about 3 sec and is not hiding the loading according to devs) is around 1.5 sec (NXGamer found 1.33 sec). About on par with what we expect from PS5 first party games. It's about what we got in the cartdrige era. Virtually instantaneous.

I bet the asset variety of the natural environments of Rider's republic doesnt even come close to the urban setting of spiderman.
This is literally what posts say
"Spiderman 2's presentation, fidelity and polish in the transition is what makes it feel so impressive, even though the method and time to gameplay is roughly the same..."

ofc S2 is also RT title so BVH structures gen/update as well. However RR is multiplatform and crossgen title.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back