Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok ... it is news for me that local dimming is deactivated on sony LCDs but that might explain some things.
On the other side, as far as I remember activating local dimming adds additional lag because the picture must be processed by the tv.

Btw, does LFC also work on 30fps titles in 60Hz mode? There are enough titles on the market that have a quality mode that just runs with 30 fps but even those are not rock stable.
No VRR for PS4 games is a bummer ... hoped that at least they force it for everything on the ps5. Yes, the PS5 will brute force 60 most of the time, but there are also enough titles that dip.

Btw, does LFC also work on 30fps titles in 60Hz mode? There are enough titles on the market that have a quality mode that just runs with 30 fps but even those are not rock stable.
No VRR for PS4 games is a bummer ... hoped that at least they force it for everything on the ps5. Yes, the PS5 will brute force 60 most of the time, but there are also enough titles that dip.
I don't think LFC works in 60Hz mode because when you double the framerate you are already over 60Hz... so you need 120Hz to it work.
Said that John said the LFC seems to be only enabled by game developers... so it is not system level.

I don't think LFC works in 60Hz mode because when you double the framerate you are already over 60Hz... so you need 120Hz to it work.
Said that John said the LFC seems to be only enabled by game developers... so it is not system level.
But in a 30fps title, you would only reach 60fps max if you double the framerate. That's why I ask if LFC or VRR works in those titles. Quality modes are already mostly only 30fps and I guess future titles won't always offer 60fps modes.

Btw, does LFC also work on 30fps titles in 60Hz mode?
Yes it can work below 30fps but still you get poor framerate. I would like to see more targeting 40fps with uncapped framerate but not so optimistic it will be the case.

But in a 30fps title, you would only reach 60fps max if you double the framerate. That's why I ask if LFC or VRR works in those titles. Quality modes are already mostly only 30fps and I guess future titles won't always offer 60fps modes.
Without a patch 30 would be below 48fps min, so wouldn't work as it doesn't support LFC on a system level.

If it had system level LFC or game patched then it would work by doubling or tripling the frame

@Dictator
You said you've never seen a 45hz game. Here are two:
Condemned: Criminal Origins (Xbox 360)
Arkham Asylum, Return to Arkham Collection (Xbox One)

Play either on a Xbox One X or Xbox Series X and you can see a capped 45fps game.

Is there any truth to that MS has asked DF not to do comparisons to pc versions? I see it in the fb/yt comments, where people ask why the xbox is never used in these comparisons.

Btw theres no mention of it but the ps5 is actually using fsr.

Is there any truth to that MS has asked DF not to do comparisons to pc versions? I see it in the fb/yt comments, where people ask why the xbox is never used in these comparisons.

Btw theres no mention of it but the ps5 is actually using fsr.

i saw as well, people got weirdly angry about this video for why isnt it about consoles and why is it about PC. I saw it on various forums. Where is this coming from though ? Didnt Alex get on board with DF to specifically cover PC ? God knows PC was the about the last thing on their mind before Alex came. Some were acting almost offended today why is this about PC and not Xbox. How "most" people want to see consoles vs consoles and not pc. The weirdest thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back