Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really wish they've update Lego Worlds for current gen consoles.

Unity doesn't have RT implemented on Series yet?
The performance seems solid in both PS5 and Series X... Series S that don't hit the target.

RT should be feasible on the XSS (at a lower render resolution perhaps). Its a smartphone game originally, its not heavy on neither rendering or ray tracing. Last gen consoles could perhaps do it (Pro and OneX).

RT should be feasible on the XSS (at a lower render resolution perhaps). Its a smartphone game originally, its not heavy on neither rendering or ray tracing. Last gen consoles could perhaps do it (Pro and OneX).
Both Series lack RT in this game... he says in the video that asked the Dev team and they said they are waiting Unity implement it in the Engine.
So I guess Unity doesn't have RT implementation for Series consoles yet.

Edit - I found a quote in the article.

"Excitingly, Light Brick Studio also told us that they are planning to release this RT mode on Xbox Series consoles later this year, once the Unity engine implements RT support for Xbox."

https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfo...ers-journey-the-ray-tracing-showcase-hits-ps5

I understand that as Unity can't do RT on Xbox right now.

Both Series lack RT in this game... he says in the video that asked the Dev team and they said they are waiting Unity implement it in the Engine.
So I guess Unity doesn't have RT implementation for Series consoles yet.

Edit - I found a quote in the article.

"Excitingly, Light Brick Studio also told us that they are planning to release this RT mode on Xbox Series consoles later this year, once the Unity engine implements RT support for Xbox."

https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfo...ers-journey-the-ray-tracing-showcase-hits-ps5

Right, the Xbox versions indeed lack ray tracing for this game. Though, having watched the DF video now its not really something xbox users should be dreadfully waiting for, if its the same implementation as the PS5 its perhaps better to play in the quality mode without RT. Its ray tracing is running below the pc lowest settings, missing effects/features and going for 30fps. (not talking about the issues)

Edit: Im baffled as to how heavy the RT is in the title on consoles, il take back what i said, the last gen consoles wont do RT in this game lol. Its a damn mobile game but ok.

No idea why the (new?) DF member calls the 3060Ti (3080m was tested) somewhat more powerfull than the PS5, it is in normal rendering, in ray tracing though?

Last edited:

What the heck is going on with the Unity engine. They usually go out of their way to avoid significant feature disparity across platforms.

Reactions: Jay
Right, the Xbox versions indeed lack ray tracing for this game. Though, having watched the DF video now its not really something xbox users should be dreadfully waiting for, if its the same implementation as the PS5 its perhaps better to play in the quality mode without RT. Its ray tracing is running below the pc lowest settings, missing effects/features and going for 30fps. (not talking about the issues)

Edit: Im baffled as to how heavy the RT is in the title on consoles, il take back what i said, the last gen consoles wont do RT in this game lol. Its a damn mobile game but ok.

No idea why the (new?) DF member calls the 3060Ti (3080m was tested) somewhat more powerfull than the PS5, it is in normal rendering, in ray tracing though?
I believe the RT hardware in RTX cards are way better than RDNA2 cards.
So while these new consoles are compared to higher specs cards in rasterization in RT they are lower.

I believe the RT hardware in RTX cards are way better than RDNA2 cards.
So while these new consoles are compared to higher specs cards in rasterization in RT they are lower.

It seems that the new DF member actually compared a 3060Ti (or 3080m) to gauge ray tracing performance possible on a PS5. Its a flawed statement and a somewhat blow to the devs. I think this kind of analysis is best left to Alex, who actually said something completely different, that the PS5 is comparable to a 2060 in Ray Tracing.

Edit: The 3060Ti is actually closer to a 3070m (at 130watts) than a 3080m specwise, actually in theory the 3070m should offer more performance (more RT cores, more shader units etc). Given it isnt throttled due to laptop environment.

Him having tested on a 3080m and impressed by its performance aint strange, its a very capable GPU, more capable than a 3060Ti and for sure the PS5. I have tested a 3070m in a G513 (130watts to GPU), its generally outperforming the PS5 at like-for-like settings. Throw in ray tracing and the difference grows.

3070m - 40 RT cores, 160TMUs, 5120 shading units, 16TF (115watt)
3060Ti - 38 RT cores, 152TMUs, 4864 shading units, 16TF
Both share equal memory/BW at 448gb/s 256bit.

3080m - 48 RT cores, 192TMUs, 6144 shading units, 19TF
Besides that 3080m has more rops and other improvements.

Last edited:

Right now the PS5 version is bugged anyway. But 30fps on this kind of game seems totally fine, when they fix the RT.

DF Weekly @ https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfo...eam-decks-40hz-upgrade-and-900w-next-gen-gpus

DF Direct Weekly on PS5 VRR, Steam Deck's 40Hz upgrade and 900W next-gen GPUs
Plus: what's the deal with Sony's PlayStation Preservation Group?

First up, the long-awaited arrival of variable refresh rate support, also known as VRR, on the PlayStation 5. This technology has long been part of the landscape on PC and Xbox, but makes its PlayStation debut this week. The idea here is smoothing out uneven frame delivery, eliminating screen tearing and judder without the heavy input lag penalty of traditional v-sync. Recent PS5 releases like Elden Ring have really underscored the need for the tech, so does this release put the PS5 on feature parity with the other platforms? As always, the devil is in the details, and our testing unearthed some unique quirks to the implementation that are worth discussing in a weekly gaming tech show.

They talk about TV Displays being confused by LFC (Low Framerate Compensation) where the reported framerate is not actually what's reported, it's more likely between 1/3 or 1/2 without the duplicate frames.

DF Article @ https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfoundry-2022-ps5-vrr-update-tested-and-discussed

The PS5 VRR update: tested and discussed by Digital Foundry
Is variable refresh rate support a game-changer for PS5?

This past week and some 18 months after the launch of the PS5, support for Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) technology has finally landed on the Sony console. This feature has been on Xbox and PC for years, where it's been key to smoothing out uneven frame-rates, reducing judder and eliminating screen tearing - so VRR on PS5 brings some level of parity across platforms. But just how good is the PS5 implementation - where does it succeed, and where does it fall a bit short?

To discuss this, John Linneman and Alex Battaglia met up to compare notes. One limitation we noted right away is that VRR doesn't work on every display - Alex's Samsung NU8000 TV showed a black screen when launching a game with VRR enabled - but John was able to test more than 20 games on the system to good effect with his LG CX OLED. In most games, VRR does what it says on the tin, synchronising the refresh rate of the display to the frame-rate of the game, but it does come with some limitations.

Most importantly, VRR on PS5 only works within a narrow window defined by the HDMI Forum's 2.1 standard, between 48Hz and 60Hz (on a 60Hz screen) or 48Hz and 120Hz (on a 120Hz screen). Normally a feature called Low Framerate Compensation (LFC) will kick in at frame-rates below the VRR window, essentially doubling or tripling frames to ensure that VRR remains active. For example, if your game is running at 40fps, then you could double that to 80fps to remain within the 48 to 120Hz range. On PS5 though, it's possible to drop out of the VRR window entirely, which can lead to judder and all the other symptoms that VRR seeks to alleviate.

Samsung NU8000 supports HDMI-VRR? Looking at the updates it says in 1103 it added FreeSync support but it doesn't say anything about HDMI-VRR (people refer to FreeSync as VRR in most places so it is hard to get what the TV actually support)... I have the impression PS5 only supports HDMI-VRR... it doesn't support FreeSync at all.

Seems like the best VRR options needs to be patched in game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back