Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DF Direct Weekly #53: GTA5, Elden Ring 1.03 Perf Increase, FSR 2.0 Reaction

I agree with John on the allways-online/DRM, it's abit uncertain for the future, and as he says on the pc you can go around it, but on consoles thats usually much harder.
Also the DF team agrees that the generatlonal leaps we have had before (PS1 to PS2, PS3 to 4) are something we are not seeing and wont be seen anymore.
Very valid as to why NN solutions won't go free/open source. The model is just so valuable.

Very valid as to why NN solutions won't go free/open source. The model is just so valuable.

I think that AI/ML is one of the most forward looking tech (well, RT also to a degree), it is where we see most improvements i think, it didnt even really exist before this generation. You also see it in smartphones, since the A11 bionic more resources have been going into AI/NPU hardware than anything else it seems. I can understand why vendors/companies try to be ahead in this area.
NV has a whole network/datacenter backend and hardware acceleration locally for just the purpose of reconstruction, and while FSR2 is more akin to TAAU, it will be intresting to see how they compare, and which one can enolve most in the future. And as per DF, on consoles FSR2/TAAU might not be that much for use, since like Insomniac they have their own comparable solutions to TAAU/FSR2.
Maybe for multiplat games, but then again UE5 comes with TAAU. And i surely hope most games will either go Unity or UE5 from now on. Also i wonder if all this AI/ML development will lead into something else than reconstruction (not that its not enough), its just very intresting tech even for gaming. Maybe who knows, multiplayer against bots will be just as it is online, never again a dying MP experience ;)

I don't disagree with this from a corporate standpoint, but I do think we will eventually get to the point where trained NN's will be accessible sort of like we see with models for 3d printers. Once an enthusiast community gets built around it, we'll start seeing some open source or low cost models for doing pretty much anything we want with a NN, and a whole bunch of things we don't want.

I don't disagree with this from a corporate standpoint, but I do think we will eventually get to the point where trained NN's will be accessible sort of like we see with models for 3d printers. Once an enthusiast community gets built around it, we'll start seeing some open source or low cost models for doing pretty much anything we want with a NN, and a whole bunch of things we don't want.
For sure; cost needs to come down significantly and we will see this happen

Interesting that XBS-X drops to a lower resolution in certain cases (after camera changes in intense scenes) than the PS5. But, on the other hand XBS-X has a slightly higher average resolution in general gameplay than the PS5.

Also interesting that XBO-X has higher resolution than XBS-S but much worse frame rates.

Regards,
SB

Interesting that XBS-X drops to a lower resolution in certain cases (after camera changes in intense scenes) than the PS5. But, on the other hand XBS-X has a slightly higher average resolution in general gameplay than the PS5.

Also interesting that XBO-X has higher resolution than XBS-S but much worse frame rates.

Regards,
SB
No, it doesn't. Series S runs at 936p-1440p while the X1X targets 1080p.

Impressive for xss. I think the game really shines in scenes when camera is inside car at night with rain. Damn that looks gorgeous

That's crazy. Takes talent to make a game look so bad, even with such high geometry counts.
I don't get this at all. Team ninja are nowhere near so incompetent with their engine. Nioh 1 and 2 are supremely efficient even on base PS4 and are far better looking than anything in this title. What happened? This reminds me of a crystal tools level issue but SE didn't do any of the technical stuff for this game. Very strange

I don't get this at all. Team ninja are nowhere near so incompetent with their engine. Nioh 1 and 2 are supremely efficient even on base PS4 and are far better looking than anything in this title. What happened? This reminds me of a crystal tools level issue but SE didn't do any of the technical stuff for this game. Very strange
I would assume it is - as always - budget, time, working power. Square Enix the publisher is to blame, not the team.

I would assume it is - as always - budget, time, working power. Square Enix the publisher is to blame, not the team.

Your saying SE didn't give them enough resources and time. Makes sense. They are trying to replicate Nier replicant and Nier A with agressive investments in AA space. But I think they are a bit too single minded in that goal if this and Valkryie Elysium say anything. Just a little more investment would be nice

Surely it isn’t always the publishers fault. I think we have far too many examples to default the blame on the publisher. Not referring to this specific instance, just in general.

Surely it isn’t always the publishers fault. I think we have far too many examples to default the blame on the publisher. Not referring to this specific instance, just in general.
I agree, it can't always be on the publisher unless you take the view that publishers should fund, ad infinitum, all game development until all games are very polished, which does't seem practical.

The publisher will strike a deal with the developer who will have a contracted period in which to produce their game. To a degree, the amount of optimisation will depend on the developer's management of the whole project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back