Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I don't understand is why they compare it to the best version available on PC. "Maxed-out PC". How many people are owning those kind of PCs? What's the point except trying to make the PS5 version looks bad?

Doesnt really make the PS5 version look bad, they trade blows i think. The PC version, without mods, is the old version with no true enhancements. What kind of pc is needed to play this at the highest settings? Many should be able to max GTAV these days. If DF was to believe, there should atleast be an equal amount of >RTX2060 level gpus out there as there are PS5's.

What I don't understand is why they compare it to the best version available on PC. "Maxed-out PC". How many people are owning those kind of PCs? What's the point except trying to make the PS5 version looks bad?
In addition to other comments, it shows the difference in software between a more powerful platform on old tech versus a less powerful platform on better software. For all the TFlops in the world, you can't match the look of a next-gen renderer, and using a more powerful PC than the consoles underscores the difference.

Additionally, the use of flagship PCs in all comparisons helps compare state-of-the-art on PC. DF could show what a median spec PC is capable of, or a price comparable PC, or whatever, but aspirational allows them to better explore all the tech and choices available in the game.

*ahem* Take non Digital Foundry Article discussion elsewhere... Thanks.

Written article for the consoles of this multi-generational game that just won't die... https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...ystation-5-and-xbox-series-x-versions-compare

Grand Theft Auto 5: how do PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X compare?
Visuals, loading times and performance tested.

We've already taken a look at how the latest rendition of Grand Theft Auto 5 scales across to the new generation of console hardware - we've seen the core improvements up against last-gen hardware, and what's been ported over from the existing PC version. The big remaining question hangs over the platform comparisons, and so, today we're focused squarely on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X's delivery of the enhanced game - with a detailed look at Xbox Series S coming later on.

Let's start with the basics. On both PS5 and Series X there are three graphics modes: performance, fidelity and performance RT - the latter pair supporting ray traced sun shadows. While dynamic resolution scaling cannot be ruled out, in all tested scenarios, fidelity mode runs at a seemingly fixed 4K resolution at 30fps, while the performance offerings lock to 1440p instead, targeting 60fps. In addition to these three modes, HDR is implemented in GTA5 for the first time, plus there are texture upgrades, and draw distance improvements all around compared to the last-gen release. PlayStation 5 also receives support for haptic feedback and adaptive triggers on the DualSense controller, which translate excellently in adding a sense of impact to GTA5's shooting controls.

This old game series, that doesn't want to die or at least stop making money, seems to have varying degrees of performance -- times where PS5 drops to 40 while Series X drops to 50, or PS5 drops to 20 while Series X remains above 27. Then there are the other times where the situation is reversed.

Well, GTA V can now go off into the sunset knowing that it was on 3 generations of consoles, and PC. Now bring on GTA VI... :yep2:

But, I do wonder if there are any plans on introducing an updated Red Dead Redemption 2 with RT for PS5, XBSX|S, and PC!?

Well, GTA V can now go off into the sunset knowing that it was on 3 generations of consoles, and PC. Now bring on GTA VI... :yep2:

But, I do wonder if there are any plans on introducing an updated Red Dead Redemption 2 with RT for PS5, XBSX|S, and PC!?
It’s such a money maker that it’s following the trend of world of Warcraft. They didn’t want to let it die, and because of wow they never made a new Warcraft or a new WoW. It was too hard to build up a population and now they won’t want to cut it over. Curious to see if they make a GTA6? RDR2 online isn’t doing anywhere as good.

Curious to see if they make a GTA6?

GTA 6 (or next iteration) was officially announced some time ago.

https://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/ak73k92o47ko75/grand-theft-auto-community-update
With the unprecedented longevity of GTAV, we know many of you have been asking us about a new entry in the Grand Theft Auto series. With every new project we embark on, our goal is always to significantly move beyond what we have previously delivered — and we are pleased to confirm that active development for the next entry in the Grand Theft Auto series is well underway. We look forward to sharing more as soon as we are ready, so please stay tuned to the Rockstar Newswire for official details.

will they make a new GTA Online though? =P

More than likely they will.

GTA IV online if I'm not mistaken, was still up running for many years after GTA V's online introduction (GTA IV multiplayer online servers might still be up and running, not a 100% sure though). GTA Fans, like myself, will go where the action is to be had (prior or new).

More than likely they will.

GTA IV online if I'm not mistaken, was still up running for many years after GTA V's online introduction (GTA IV multiplayer online servers might still be up and running, not a 100% sure though). GTA Fans, like myself, will go where the action is to be had (prior or new).
Yea that’s what I assume is the intention. But after years (over a decade) of building content for GTAV online, it’s hard to roll out GTA6 online and have more to do etc.

But I get what you’re saying. Quite curious as to what will happen

What is really intresseting to me in DF vid is the scene where a car burns in the alley, XSX in perf mode is still dropping frames. This is a single car on fire, this clearly shows that something is not right here, but at the same time this is three generations old game now and probably there are some technical issues that weren't fully eliminated in next gen patch.

What is really intresseting to me in DF vid is the scene where a car burns in the alley, XSX in perf mode is still dropping frames. This is a single car on fire, this clearly shows that something is not right here, but at the same time this is three generations old game now and probably there are some technical issues that weren't fully eliminated in next gen patch.
Yup, there are inconsistencies between the platforms, and between the same game running different scenes on the same platform. The whole thing is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That scene in the ally with the car on fire.. The fire looks different on each platform. I'm not saying it's the cause of the performance difference because it's hard to tell exactly what's going on with youtube compression, but the PS5 fire looks either lower resolution or like it has some sort of motion blur on it.

That scene in the ally with the car on fire.. The fire looks different on each platform. I'm not saying it's the cause of the performance difference because it's hard to tell exactly what's going on with youtube compression, but the PS5 fire looks either lower resolution or like it has some sort of motion blur on it.

Now i know nothing about game development but the first thing that come to my mind was Control next gen version XSX had this weird bug when piece of text come on screen XSX stutter for a while which was fixed later in a patch. Maybe its some weird old api calls that was not updated or something and this is similar problem here.

DF Direct Weekly #53: GTA5, Elden Ring 1.03 Perf Increase, FSR 2.0 Reaction

I agree with John on the allways-online/DRM, it's abit uncertain for the future, and as he says on the pc you can go around it, but on consoles thats usually much harder.
Also the DF team agrees that the generatlonal leaps we have had before (PS1 to PS2, PS3 to 4) are something we are not seeing and wont be seen anymore.

Last edited:
Rich showing Steamdeck footage in an emulated resolution window on DF Weekly again. I thoroughly approve.

@Dictator I'm demanding similar things when you get you do optimised portable settings videos! Demanding! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back