Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 5.2 TF 5500 XT is about as fast as the 6.2 TF RX 580. So isn't it expected that a 4 TF RDNA 2 part will come in slower than a 6 TF GCN one? According to AMD there was only a 1.25X improvement in IPC from GCN to RDNA 1, and any IPC improvements in RDNA 2 were linked to the Infinity Cache, which the consoles lack.

You also can’t forget memory bandwidth, One X has 44% higher throughput. When targeting 4K-ish res I’d expect that to play a role, despite the architecture advantages. Which probably explains why we see generally lower res on the Series S (that, and the reduced memory size as well).

Digital Foundry Direct Weekly is returning for its 2022 season early next week! The first year certainly had its fair share of controversy, laughs, gaffes and 'lulz' - so we decided to put together a compilation of the best bits - as chosen by backers of the DF Supporter Program!

Glad that DF are moving away from pixel counting, for the increasing majority of titles where it's irrelevant. Interested to see what the come up with to talk consistently about image quality. My personal preference for console would be some sort TV on rails*, so they can provide a range of views based on people's TV setups. 3.5m distance / 55" TV / middle aged eyes would be my preferred setting. :)

* While they could just move the chair away from the TV, this seems unnecessarily imprecise for DF.

I was pretty sure the consensus was that the ML additions to XS was the dp4a. Don't think we've had any reason to believe its anything other than that.
And that PS5 doesn't have it.

Do we actually have a definitive answer if PS5 supports it or not?

I was pretty sure the consensus was that the ML additions to XS was the dp4a. Don't think we've had any reason to believe its anything other than that.
And that PS5 doesn't have it.

Do we actually have a definitive answer if PS5 supports it or not?
I am not sure here _ I think there was some twitter rumble about Navi XX (is it 10? 21? I forget what PS5 is) not having it. But I never researched this.

I am not sure here _ I think there was some twitter rumble about Navi XX (is it 10? 21? I forget what PS5 is) not having it. But I never researched this.

People refer to PS5 as being Navi10Lite which supposedly is RDNA 1 that doesn't have dp4a. However, I am not sure if there has been any official confirmation that Navi10Lite refers to the PS5

I may double dip on this one.

I just don't get why Sony isn't carrying over any of these optimizations to PS5 (Microsoft is really kicking Sony's ass in the BC department when it comes to tangible updates/upgrades to older games).
I'm still waiting for 4k 60 fps update for gears4 on xsx...

Another brilliant review. The load times are interesting. I'm struggling to understand why the PC is so much faster given it's using a slower SSD and CPU doesn't appear to be the bottleneck.

It's also a brilliant showing by the RTX cards with even a bog standard 2060 able to offer an experience pretty much equivalent to the PS5 thanks to DLSS (one could argue better thanks to Reflex).

The DLSS comparison to Checkerboard was also welcome following the confusing reference in another recent comparison video of this game.

I just don't get why Sony isn't carrying over any of these optimizations to PS5 (Microsoft is really kicking Sony's ass in the BC department when it comes to tangible updates/upgrades to older games).
Sony definitely have a different business model to Microsoft. Being the market leader (and their financials showing PlayStation is incredibly profitable), I'm certain that profitability is a higher priority for Sony, whereas Microsoft are clearly dishing out a ton of goodwill effort, which is very cool and I love my Series X lets me play Xbox One games that I missed not having that console but at 60fps and higher resolutions that I've now become accustomed to since November 2020.

That said, I wouldn't be hugely surprised to see better version of God of War (2018) for PS5 appear at some point - assuming Sony think the effort is profitable and worthwhile. Part of that work may have formed part of the PC work. Sony want people to buy GoD on PS4, then PC then pay for an upgrade for their PS5. Getting people to pay for things is why PlayStation is profitable.

Great to see Sony is doing right by the pc platform. If your going to put your software on the platform you better do it right.

Also I don't expect a ps5 God of war version in the future. I mean I was already confused as to why ghost of Tsushima has a ps5 native app when it already looked well enough running through bc(and they had already unlocked the fps to 60)

Are console players really looking to complain about not having a slightly better version to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back