Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.
its funny how developers cant now make reflection of main characters in mirror without rt when they could do it on ps2 era games (if not earlier) ;d
Yeah I wonder the same. How was it done back then, and why it wasnt a problem, while now seeing a character in a mirror is held as the next best thing in graphics. Early techniques used a duplication of the environment and characters I remember to give the illusion of a mirror. Unsure what other methods they used later.

I am perplexed by the lack of optimization on Series and PC. The X is even missing RT and the PC stuttering makes it unplayable. It wasnt ready for release
I am sure someone is going to think it was Sony's fault. They offer their studio in exchange to release broken versions on Microsoft platforms

Yeah I wonder the same. How was it done back then, and why it wasnt a problem, while now seeing a character in a mirror is held as the next best thing in graphics. Early techniques used a duplication of the environment and characters I remember to give the illusion of a mirror. Unsure what other methods they used later.

I am perplexed by the lack of optimization on Series and PC. The X is even missing RT and the PC stuttering makes it unplayable. It wasnt ready for release
I am sure someone is going to think it was Sony's fault. They offer their studio in exchange to release broken versions on Microsoft platforms
Nah, some people for sure people loves conspiracy theories but i doubt they would bomb own reputation like this. This is not the forst game that launches with some bad optimisation on xboxes and PCs.
Its gonna be fiiineeeeee ( lets just wait 6 months or so ;))

But putting aside my deep sadness that XSX version is total mess, boy oh boy this game looks amazing! I think its currently best looking game on XSX/PS5 (well on PS5 at least ;))
Amazing presentation!

Could be that the increased complexity of rendering makes earlier solutions like planar reflections and local cube maps disproportionately expensive.

on fixed hardware of course, you have a point there. CoD Modern Warfare 2 is a good game to show the benefits of closed hardware. A colleague of mine who has a much more powerful GPU than mine, told me that when he gets to Amsterdam, during the mission where you gotta dive in the water, his RTX 3080 goes from 120-140fps to 80fps.

What does this have to do with the console being a closed platform? This is simply a case of the user not capping the frame rate on PC. If the frame rate were capped at 80fps then the experience on the PC there would have been a solid 80fps. And if it's hitting 80fps on a 3080, that will be at higher settings than the console, assuming the console is running at 60fps.

PS5 performs between 50-100% faster than my 1080ti in MW 2 depending on what game mode I'm playing.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Do you have a settings matched, scene matched comparison to demonstrate this? Or alternatively PC benchmarks showing the 1080Ti performing on par with an RTX 3050?

Let's see how this goes. It does suck that DF will have to do second video immediately after first one drops tho 🤔

It looks like Alex has deliberately withheld his PC video because of this so I expect there was always going to be two video's. Great move to not release the PC one until things are fixed or at least improved though.

Strange, this isn't on their man page and has been uploaded 5 hours ago.

Digital Foundry’s patron-only new video: "(Slightly) Early Access: The Callisto Protocol - The DF Tech Review + PS5 vs Xbox Series X/ S + PC #StutterStruggle Analysis"

Uhhh. Yea. I guess it’s now available for non patreon

Seems like a very obvious and easy thing to do which is why so many people think devs are either incompetent or just don’t give a shit.

Yeah, JIT shader compliation is fine if you've just bought a shiny new game and want to play it, performance be damned.

But why doesn't every game just have a button in the menus somewhere that says 'perform offline shader recompilation' and note that this will provide an optimal experience, but may take 20 minutes to an hour or two depending on the PC?

Just leave it to the end user to decide if they want to click the button every time they upgrade their GPU drivers and then go do something else while it compiles them all.

What does this have to do with the console being a closed platform? This is simply a case of the user not capping the frame rate on PC. If the frame rate were capped at 80fps then the experience on the PC there would have been a solid 80fps. And if it's hitting 80fps on a 3080, that will be at higher settings than the console, assuming the console is running at 60fps.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Do you have a settings matched, scene matched comparison to demonstrate this? Or alternatively PC benchmarks showing the 1080Ti performing on par with an RTX 3050?
There actually aren’t a breadth of MW2 benchmarks out there, specifically that have both of those GPUs. But a 1080ti performs like a VEGA 56 in this game based on the few that have been published. My personal experience in trying to achieve 120 fps in warzone and ground war modes led me to my performance observation.

We don't know what settings the consoles are at but I think anyone who has played the game will agree these settings look noticeably worse than PS5/Series X in 120 fps mode. He also has best case performance in many of these scenes with limited view distances and no action occurring.

Last edited:
That motion capture execution is superb! Amazing detail in the virtual performances. Confused by the scope of differences between PS5 and XBS though. Like, put in UE4, press build, it runs. What are the optimisations a dev can do that means a game running on Zen2 & RDNA2+ can perform so differently? It's not like there's a hardware advantage on PS5 that is being lent on here like faster storage. Save faster CPU clocks. :-?

Pretty alarming pc and Xbox performance here. amazing *looking* game from a new studio and pretty new publisher though!

Playing on my 3060ti and noticed that when it stutters the VRAM use can increase by hundreds of megabytes within a few frames.

Found a video on YouTube that also uses a 3060ti and noticed the same thing.

The game is using 6.5GB of VRAM....Then a has massive stutter and VRAM instantly hits 6.9GB and eventually settles on 7.2GB.

Surely those are I/O stutters?

Nah Alex confirmed in the DF video they go away on the second run through, so definitely #SCS.

p.s.

The game might have other stutters on top of shader based stutters.

And as far as I'm aware shader stutters don't increase your VRAM use by several hundred megabytes within a few seconds?

You’ve basically got it here — the issue is that all of the various bottlenecks aren’t in the same places they were anymore. For example, if you have a deferred renderer, you’d need the bandwidth to make a whole new g buffer (at some resolution), but if you had that bandwidth in the first place you would surely want it for something else to use on your main render 99% of the time, rather than saving it for the mirrors you see 1% of the time. If you’re on a forward renderer it’s more solvable (we still see forward takes do mirror reflection occasionally) but you have to worry about scene and lighting complexity more, and if you had the headroom for that you would probably rather use it for more compex scenes.

It's not the first time a UE4 game lacks RT on Xbox at release. Little Nightmares 2 was also missing RT reflections on Xbox Series when it launched.

It's probably going to be eventually patched like it was for Little Nightmares 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back