Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think developers should at least give an option to precompile shader during install or any driver update and like this it is done and at the end player have a much better experience. It is better to have long install than stutter and it will help game load faster with Direct Storage everytime someone launch the game.

Last edited:
I think developers should at least give an option to precompile shader during install or any drive update and like this it is done and at the end player have a much better experience. It is better to have long install than stutter and it will help game load faster with Direct Storage everytime someone launch the game.

Seems like a very obvious and easy thing to do which is why so many people think devs are either incompetent or just don’t give a shit.

I love you Unreal Engine! You're the best engine ever...

Why would I expect anything different??

Video clip of The Callisto Protocol, player walking through a doorway with the game stuttering like crazy. There's also a standard enemy on the other side of the door.

Yea I wish I was kidding...
To be fair not all ue4 games do this kind of thing. But it does suck when it happens.

Ue5 needs to have those issues fixed up

Possibly meant as a preview to their Patreon backers or they're waiting to finish up the written article before making it listed while giving YT time to process the other resolutions?

PC is disastrously poor, says Alex :)

I then boot up Midnight Suns and it's the same god damn thing over there. pos unreal engine with massive stutters everytime you do a new spell

y7nrbg.jpg
2vj7jv.jpg

Strange, this isn't on their man page and has been uploaded 5 hours ago.

WOW the quality mode on XSX is just huge disappointment, as i dont have RT capable PC i dont have a choice but wait for the patch.... if they manage to fix the game (RT+performance) eventually. What a let down.

PC is disastrously poor, says Alex :)

I then boot up Midnight Suns and it's the same god damn thing over there. pos unreal engine with massive stutters everytime you do a new spell

y7nrbg.jpg
2vj7jv.jpg
like you mentioned in another post, there is a new patch for Gotham Knights -which imho suffered from stuttering but, from the look of it, it never was as bad as in The Callisto Protocol- and I can play it now at an almost locked 60fps most of the time. I guess in due time The Callisto Protocol's performance is going to get fixed. I locked Gotham Knights at 60fps 'cos at certain resolutions it just makes no sense trying to achieve 120fps on a mid-tier GPU, CPU bottlenecks aside. Very fun game.

A shame about all the technical issues on PC and raytracing being missing on Xbox. I am sure it will be patched but it will not save the launch impressions.

People are complaining the dodging mechanics are too hard but it seems like it's right up my alley based on how John talks about it. "Git gud" territory

People are complaining the dodging mechanics are too hard

Watching a few streams on it, and the dodging mechanics is only usable when against a single enemy but whenever multiple enemies are around the dodge system just doesn't seem to function. There are situations where dodging the logical direction isn't accepted as a possibility and you must dodge the other direction because that's simply what the game demands. It seems less of a dodge mechanic and more of a QTE system like Dragon's Lair. It really isn't providing a fun time.

Watching a few streams on it, and the dodging mechanics is only usable when against a single enemy but whenever multiple enemies are around the dodge system just doesn't seem to function. There are situations where dodging the logical direction isn't accepted as a possibility and you must dodge the other direction because that's simply what the game demands. It seems less of a dodge mechanic and more of a QTE system like Dragon's Lair. It really isn't providing a fun time.
I wonder why John didn't mention that, seems like something that can't be avoided playing the game

@Dictator Are you guys planning on doing a DF technical episode focusing on the stutter issues caused by shader compilation in games? Especially UE4? It would be cool if you could have developers provide some insight along with potential solutions and explain to the layman exactly what's going on.

This issue is becoming pervasive and ruins games that should otherwise provide a great experience. I also feel that it's too often swept under the rug.

I wonder why John didn't mention that, seems like something that can't be avoided playing the game

Maybe it's something that can be improved in a patch, like maybe the collision detection with walls for dodging kind of hampers survivability in some situations? Like you should be able to dodge it, yet you end up in a stun-lock situation instead, so you're rewarded with having to redo the section again. It's not always like that though, like the next sections for a bit were completed with ease by the streamers. Maybe that's what others mean with "spike in difficulty" / "uneven difficulty" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back