Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like the developer has still problems managing the memory, which dx11 does by itself (more or less). But hey, it runs so they can sell it.
Wonder why they didn't force it into the dx11 mode. Why does the dx11 mode exist at all? There is no hardware on the market that can run this game that is not dx12 compatible.
Many UE4 games can be forced into DX11 or even DX10, even if it isn't supported or tested by the dev. It's an engine level thing. There are more than a few Ark clones (and Ark itself) that have a very different look when running in DX10 mode, with plenty of missing effects and lighting.

Not more powerful, but definitely more optimized. The game runs as it should on PS4
Does it, though? I seam to remember there being plenty of issues on PS4 with texture streaming and NPCs drawing in right in front of the players... Or sometimes behind.

Does it, though? I seam to remember there being plenty of issues on PS4 with texture streaming and NPCs drawing in right in front of the players... Or sometimes behind.
Yes it does, because there were no other versions to compare it to when it released that showed any different. The game had issues, as all games do... but it still functioned as expected.. meaning it wasn't hitching/freezing while loading things and camera cutting.

The PRO release had the same issues as the PS4 version, but ran at a higher resolution... as expected on a device with the same CPU/RAM but more powerful GPU..
The PS5 version runs at higher framerate AND higher resolution... as expected on a device with a more powerful CPU, more powerful GPU, and more RAM..

None have hitching issues. So we know how this game is supposed to function..

In comes PC... which has vastly more powerful hardware than PS4 and Pro... and no matter how much grunt you throw at it... we have hitching and stuttering issues..

Thus we know it's not performing as expected. We should expect no stuttering and hitching, while having higher FPS, and higher resolution, and less/no texture loading issues.

Last edited:
I can't agree with FH5 not being in the top 3.. especially when you have Lego Builders Journey in there.. but everyone is different lol

I can't agree with FH5 not being in the top 3.. especially when you have Lego Builders Journey in there.. but everyone is different lol

I can't watch it properly atm but if the top 3 are the last 3 games shown in the video then I agree with 1 and 2 but think 3 is a bit weird and absolutely agree FH5 should be there instead. I'm not sure I would have put 3 in the top 10 personally.

I wouldnt put personaly deathloop on list but thats normal, everybody has different view

Last edited:
I can't watch it properly atm but if the top 3 are the last 3 games shown in the video then I agree with 1 and 2 but think 3 is a bit weird and absolutely agree FH5 should be there instead. I'm not sure I would have put 3 in the top 10 personally.
(List of top 4)
4. Forza Horizon 5
3. Returnal
2. Lego Builders Journey
1. Ratchet and Clank

Yea for me it comes down to the fact that at the beginning of the video, they speak about Nvidia's Marbles demo as well as the Matrix demo, which they separate from the rest of the list because they aren't really full fledged games which have to take into account all the different things games have to contend with, you know, being actual games.. My issue with the top 3 though is that I feel #2 essentially belongs with those two other tech demos.. because there's really not much there in terms of gameplay. It's a game extremely limited in scope, even less gameplay than those tech demos.. so while beautiful and realistic looking, I don't think it deserves higher praise then either of the two games that are behind it. I feel #4 should be in #2's place, and yeah, I'm not sure I agree with #3 either, although it can be quite visually cool at times.

Ratchet is top for me because it's an exclusive game so the could properly exploit the console features: RT reflections at 60fps and fast I/O giving world switching and high asset density.

But what actually impressed me the most in Ratchet are the insane amount of enemies + alpha effects and the transparencies combined with complex RT reflections, at CBR res, all of that at locked 60fps. Wow. Compared to this the reflections in Matrix demo are almost bad at times. But it has that nice GI instead (albeit at only 30fps).

(List of top 4)
4. Forza Horizon 5
3. Returnal
2. Lego Builders Journey
1. Ratchet and Clank

Yea for me it comes down to the fact that at the beginning of the video, they speak about Nvidia's Marbles demo as well as the Matrix demo, which they separate from the rest of the list because they aren't really full fledged games which have to take into account all the different things games have to contend with, you know, being actual games.. My issue with the top 3 though is that I feel #2 essentially belongs with those two other tech demos.. because there's really not much there in terms of gameplay. It's a game extremely limited in scope, even less gameplay than those tech demos.. so while beautiful and realistic looking, I don't think it deserves higher praise then either of the two games that are behind it. I feel #4 should be in #2's place, and yeah, I'm not sure I agree with #3 either, although it can be quite visually cool at times.

I've not played 2 so I can't really comment on the gameplay content, although the concept definitely appeals to me in a way the "gameplay" of those demos doesn't, but I do see where you're coming from with that.

(List of top 4)
4. Forza Horizon 5
3. Returnal
2. Lego Builders Journey
1. Ratchet and Clank

agree with fh5 on p2, ratchet is obvious p1 but p3 ? quite problematic, maybe Returnal for different approach (better particles tech over res) is not bad choice

Someone has made mods to fix ff7r issues. I wonder if df will make an article what mods are needed to fix ff7r. As sometimes they do cover modded games.

Good list, rachet obvious #1 technically and polish. I wouldnt have lego there, its just too simple. I'ld put forza & ascent higher.
Also add battlefield (though loses points cause of all the bugs)

Reactions: snc
Ratchet is top for me because it's an exclusive game so the could properly exploit the console features: RT reflections at 60fps and fast I/O giving world switching and high asset density.

But what actually impressed me the most in Ratchet are the insane amount of enemies + alpha effects and the transparencies combined with complex RT reflections, at CBR res, all of that at locked 60fps. Wow. Compared to this the reflections in Matrix demo are almost bad at times. But it has that nice GI instead (albeit at only 30fps).

and Ratchet/Rivet's tails with up to 1 million polygons at close range !

Reactions: snc
My top would look:
1. Ratchet
2. FH5
3. Guardians of galaxy
4. Kena
5. Resident evil village
6. Returnal
7. It takes two
8. Guilty gear strive
Without 9 and 10 as it wasnt best year in term of pushing graphics above what we seen already (with exception of first 2 titles) edit: forget about metro exodus, didnt like it looks but have to apprecieate pushing heavy rt on consoels and all that as free update

Last edited:
My top would look:
1. Ratchet
2. FH5
3. Guardians of galaxy
4. Kena
5. Resident evil village
6. Returnal
7. It takes two
8. Guilty gear strive
Without 9 and 10 as it wasnt best year in term of pushing graphics above what we seen already (with exception of first 2 titles)

Yes I forgot about Guardians. I'd agree that should come above Returnal. Kenas really nice looking too although I think that might just be my preference for the art style. I've personally never been impressed with REV though despite playing the demo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back