Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2021]

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by BRiT, Jan 1, 2021.

1. Silent_Buddha

Legend

It might be that instead of relying on NV's black box for all things BVH related, they are now building the BVH on the CPU for all platforms in order to have it be uniform for all platforms. Or something similar. That could explain why the CPU cost of RT has gone up.

It is theoretically possible if RT involves a hit to the CPU in such a scenario that this could be a potential double whammy that "might" lead to better RT performance on XBS-X (slightly faster CPU versus a non-throttled PS5, wider compute and more bandwidth) in the future. But it's still far too early to say, and I'm still uncertain we'll ever be able to pin any performance differences to better or worse handling of RT. Especially as other parts of the architecture will come into play during any rendering scene.

Regards,
    SB

#1741 Silent_Buddha, May 5, 2021 at 4:10 PM
    Last edited: May 5, 2021 at 4:39 PM
    Jay, iroboto and mr magoo like this.
  2. Jay

Jay
    Veteran Regular

Probably less to do with being uniform, and more likely to be that particular implementation worked better so far.
    We've known for a while that some BVH processing has been done on cpu in the past.
    I'm probably mis remembering but I think it was because of the way leaf node data needs to be processed.

Things like that would help XSS more than XSX compared to PS5 overall I would say.

3. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

PS5 seems to deep a bit more compares to Series X

4. Karamazov

Veteran Regular

and as expected, some dips to 45fps, like it's advertised. I imagine the meltdowns if anyone finds dips under 45fps.

5. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

This is the DigitalFoundry Discussion thread. Anything not about their videos or articles directly will be purged going forward.

Arwin likes this.