Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
re8 definitely doesn't support quick resume properly, I've had it failed twice and seen other users report crashes. Weird since almost every game is fine with it, but I'd rather have good performance at launch than perfect quick resume at launch tbh

Maybe some more evidence for the 'ps5 is primary platform' theory though
I wonder what it takes to implement Quick Resume from the development point of view. It seems like depending on the game - sometimes it works fine, sometimes it doesn't, some times it doesn't work at all.

Most of it comes down to how the game code reacts to what is nontypical situations or events, such as having the time adjust by seconds, minutes, hours, or even days, network disconnects and reconnects, device unplugged and replugged. Those sort of things.

Because there are a lot of OG Xbox, X360, and Xbox One titles where it just works and that code hasn't been updated or adjusted in years if not decades.

It's bonkers some people will be upset at having to wait 8.5 seconds. I mean, how the hell are you going to fill 8.5 whole seconds??? Clearly the agony of multi-minute load times from last gen are already fading in people's minds...

I reserve the right to be upset about that 8.5s loading time in a game, I don't play, on a platform I don't own!

Last edited:
I wonder what it takes to implement Quick Resume from the development point of view. It seems like depending on the game - sometimes it works fine, sometimes it doesn't, some times it doesn't work at all.

The worst quick resume implementation has to be in outriders. Every time you use quick resume you are greet with message that you are disconnected from the server and game throws you back to login screen.

But as you can see with Genshin, the custom I/O on PS5 is really that fast. Just get used to those 3x to 5x faster loadings on PS5 because they are going to become the norm when more third party devs will start to use the custom I/O API.

For this to be true, either the PS5 would have to be performing faster than it's published theoretical maximum, or the XSX would have to be performing slower than it's published theoretical maximum. I'm wondering which you think it is and the reasons behind that?

The worst quick resume implementation has to be in outriders. Every time you use quick resume you are greet with message that you are disconnected from the server and game throws you back to login screen.
Hm, is there online game that works good with QR? Because for online games - if QR essentially freezes the game state - QR probably closes internet connection.

gears 5 works good. It signs you in without kicking you out to the title screen. I am QR to mp lobby and can start playing in seconds.
Probably for Gears it reconnects to the servers on startup when QR game is reactivated? Guess it really depends on the quality of implementation for the game.

For what it's worth, the PC Resident Evil Village edition loads in about 3-4 seconds (from the game menu, to hitting F prompt, to actual play) on my NVMe raid drive, depending on the last save location. And ~5 seconds on a standard NVMe setup. Not that big of difference between the raid and non-raid setup to complain about.

For this to be true, either the PS5 would have to be performing faster than it's published theoretical maximum, or the XSX would have to be performing slower than it's published theoretical maximum. I'm wondering which you think it is and the reasons behind that?

Are there any modern day 3rd party titles on XBSX/S loading in under 2 seconds? Honestly, I can't remember.

Are there any modern day 3rd party titles on XBSX/S loading in under 2 seconds? Honestly, I can't remember.

NBA2K1

The SSD speed is only part of the problem. There are tons of possible bottleneck if we believe Cerny Road to PS5.

E9xk6os.png

For example the PS5 is the only system to have a coherency engine and the cache scrubber.

For what it's worth, the PC Resident Evil Village edition loads in about 3-4 seconds (from the game menu, to hitting F prompt, to actual play) on my NVMe raid drive, depending on the last save location. And ~5 seconds on a standard NVMe setup. Not that big of difference between the raid and non-raid setup to complain about.

And thats before direct storage made its way to the platform. Xbox should load as fast, shows its a optimization thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back