Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2021]

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by BRiT, Jan 1, 2021.

1. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Apologies, I missed that. Grateful for a link to the the proof. Because in this post (yesterday) you conceded you don't know what the resource difference is between not needing to bake lighting into texture/maps and using a fully RT lighting scheme.

iroboto likes this.
  2. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

I guess this has already been answered now . However, we also shouldn’t exaggerate, as we are getting to the point where 3D art is really getting there. I was astounded by how beautiful Mortal Kombat XI can look for instance, and some scenes in God of War 3 gave me that same vibe of having beautiful 3D art that looked like it could be hand drawn at times. The Art in that game was so much better than the current God of Wat, really hope the next game does better.

Also interesting back in the day were some of the scenes in that platformer that also supported 3D, name escapes me, that looked better at times as something like Rayman Legend for instance, due to the great combination of art and lighting, and it was even more amazing in 3D.

Shortbread and DSoup like this.
  3. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Yup, although I think the introduction of raytracing, whether for shadows and/or lighting may require a lot of things being revisiting. :yes:

4. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

Minimal requirement? I would assume nothing too extreme given PC games are designed to scale. The game still uses loading transitions between worlds (albeit very fast ones) so it wouldn't be game breaking for those to be longer on slower drives. Then there's texture resolution decreases etc... which can reduce the streaming requirements.

What you would need to match or exceed the PS5 experience would be interesting though. My guess is the DirectStorage might be a necessity along with a 5GB/s+ NVMe drive but the compression solution might be the deciding factor there.

As to the game itself, it clearly looks gorgeous. If they did release a PC version down the line I'd be very tempted to pick it up provided it was before the graphics get stale in comparison (or they add in RTGI - wishful thinking I know!). Is it the best looking game to date? I can certainly see why people would think that. I'm not entirely sure comparisons to other contenders make much sense though given the vastly different target styles. For me the obvious contenders are CB2077, FS2020 and Metro Enhanced, all of which are targeting a more photorealistic aesthetic making direct comparisons difficult. R&C looks more consistently outstanding than any of those though with the arguable exception of FS2020.

PSman1700 and Shortbread like this.
  5. Dampf

Newcomer

For PS5 titles to be possible on PC, the PC's SSD likely does not need to match the speeds of the one in the PS5. PC has a ton of RAM to cache a lot more data, while the 16 GB on PS5 is heavily constrained due to shared memory config and OS reservation. Developers can implement some tricks to make use of that. For example, developers could place a trigger around the portal that caches some of the portal world data into RAM, which means the SSD has less data to stream during the transition to the new world, reducing needed bandwidth significantly.

In the worst case, you'd have maybe 1-3 secs longer portal loading times. I assume any NVMe Gen 3 drive + DirectStorage should be sufficient. Hell, maybe even SATA SSD depending on how much RAM your PC has.

6. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Legend Veteran

There is no denying Flight Simulator 2020 is gorgeous, my top choice for graphics in 2020. The only area where the graphics start to break down is when flying closer to the surface (see video below). I remember one occasion when I was flying low, the streaming traffic was driving up a building as if they were Spider-Man.:lol2:

7. Karamazov

Veteran Regular

we can't have a game the scale of FS2020 with the fidelity of CP2077 at street level. Not yet !

8. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Legend Veteran

Games are always going to have to make a certain amount of concessions. I'm hoping GTA VI really wows us...

Vega86 likes this.
  9. Silent_Buddha

Legend

I'm just amazed there's even that much detail down at ground level in a flight simulator that has traditionally focused on how things look from 1000's of feet in the air. And that it's something that exists around the globe (assuming you're in an area where they have put in some attention). There's obviously remote places where things can look pretty bad, but it's overall pretty amazing the level of detail available in the title, even at ground level.

Regards,
    SB

pjbliverpool and PSman1700 like this.
  10. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Legend Veteran

Yeah, from above everything is drop-dead gorgeous, ground-level it's so-so most of the time (but that's expected). The scale of the game is definitely on a whole other level. I wonder if Microsoft is going to allow external storage for streaming larger offline assets on XBSX.

DSoup, pjbliverpool and Silent_Buddha like this.
  11. rabbit

Newcomer

@Dictator hello!
    How about this?

Allandor and Kugai Calo like this.
  12. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Legend Veteran

DSoup likes this.
  13. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran

So there's an update to this.
    Apparently 4A put the word "Super" by mistake. Considering FSR isn't available in the public FidelityFX toolkit, I guess what they compared their temporal reconstruction tech against was just RIS / Contrast-adaptive Sharpening.

TheChosenOne, Pete and iroboto like this.
  14. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

make sense. They did previously support RIS and I suppose they removed that feature now.

15. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Legend Veteran

Timestamp
    00:00:00 Introduction
    00:01:16 We've relaunched our Patreon!
    00:04:52 Metro Exodus PC Enhanced Edition world exclusive
    00:16:22 Mortal Shell patch
    00:23:05 Nier Replicant
    00:28:32 Microsoft GameStack + DirectStorage
    00:37:44 Genshin Impact PS5
    00:41:21 Returnal
    00:56:33 Patreon Q+A
    01:20:30 Patreon discussion

16. pjbliverpool

Legend

Alex's explanation of SFS was great. I hadn't appreciated its relevance to streaming bandwidth before now but it can act as a multiplier there in the same way it can for vram capacity.

Does the PS5 have any equivalent of this? Even if its not 100% as effective? If not then I could imagine the XSX having a big advantage in titles that use SFS. Even the PS5's SSD speed advantage could be nullified.

PSman1700 likes this.
  17. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

Was kinda what sources where implying all the time.

18. manux

Veteran Regular

Same way it has been done in many games before. Engine predicts what is needed and fetches it ahead of time.

Issue I have with SFS is that it only helps after the miss happened. This means there is more popin effect versus algorithm that successfully predicted ahead of time what is needed. Also depending how much lag sfs adds it could end up into dog chasing it tail kind of situations. Being able to cancel requests would be nice. Likely best would be to have good prediction and help it out with SFS as needed. To me this also sounds like a machine learning problem. Wouldn't be surprised to see neural networks used to predict what resources are needed.

Shortbread likes this.
  19. t0mb3rt

Newcomer

I'm just curious as to what you thought SFS was going to accomplish because literally all of the language about SFS since the XSX specs were released has been about it's use as an SSD throughput multiplier and Alex didn't reveal anything that we haven't known for over a year.

20. pjbliverpool

Legend

Aren't you describing the functionality of the custom mip blending hardware in the Series consoles rather than SFS itself? The blending hardware is indeed only useful if a higher level mip isn't loaded in time and thus the hardware steps in to blend the transition from the lower mip to the higher mip. But SFS in general is beneficial outside of that scenario in that it reduces the amount of texture data that needs to be pre-cached in vram "in case" it's needed.

Microsoft say the reduction acts as a 2.5x multiplier so my question is, is that vs the current state of the art pre-fetching solutions (the game engine predicting what will be needed and fetching ahead of time) or is it vs a very naive pre-fetching approach that has already been bettered in the real world world? i.e. are we really looking at a 2.5x multiplier over the PS5 here or does the PS5 have ways to achieve something similar even if not fully as effective or requiring additional developer work.

I've not followed it too closely tbh but everything I've seen mentioned was more focussed on the VRAM multiplying effect. If I'd have stopped and thought about it I should have realised that would have the same impact on streaming/loading too, but tbh it never really dawned on me.

t0mb3rt, rabbit and PSman1700 like this.