Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if this would fix odd cases like Condemned: Criminal Origins, which has an unlocked framerate, but in BC on Xbox One, it has a software cap limiting it to 45fps.

any or all APIs? not likely. Only the APIs capable of doing it.
My post was from a humorous perspective, but the point is that APIs have a function and when you call them they expect them to behave as described. Microsoft have changed that assumption. The have APIs intentionally behave other than described and as expected by the calling code.

I'm not saying it's bad. :nope:

My post was from a humorous perspective, but the point is that APIs have a function and when you call them they expect them to behave as described. Microsoft have changed that assumption. The have APIs intentionally behave other than described and as expected by the calling code.

I'm not saying it's bad. :nope:

Which is why Microsoft seeks permission from the developers before they make the change for those game(s).

Ubisoft Quebec crafts a beautiful new world to explore in Immortals: Fenyx Rising - and it's a blast to play at 60FPS on PS5 and Xbox Series X/S. Of course there's more than a passing resemblance in style - and not to mention its physics-based puzzles - with Zelda: Breath of the Wild. The fact there's a Switch version is remarkable however; it's a game based on the latest AnvilNEXT engine tech that truly stretches the system. Does it run well? Or it least passably well? Tom and John combine forces to find out.

Which is why Microsoft seeks permission from the developers before they make the change for those game(s).
Do they do need too? They're not changing the original code, DF were pretty clear on that.

Do they do need too? They're not changing the original code, DF were pretty clear on that.

I don't think they need to, but they probably don't want to ruffle any feathers so they ask anyways, and it likely isn't covered exactly under existing contracts from legal perspectives.

I don't think devs would have any issues unless it was for very competitive multi-player title with cross-platform play. But even then, the different platforms will have their own respective pros and cons depending on hardware, unless they're all limited or finely tuned by the devs. However, I don't think these are the sort of titles this is aimed for. Any active competitive multiplayer game will likely see direct patches by the devs.

I don't think they need to, but they probably don't want to ruffle any feathers so they ask anyways, and it likely isn't covered exactly under existing contracts from legal perspectives
Jason said they talk to the publisher to respect the vision of the game and sometimes those publishers have plans with the franchise like releasing their own patch and don't want MS to do go ahead with their BC enhancements.

DRIVECLUB BLOODBORNE THE END.
Well, at least we know that this trick would not work in Bloodborne or Dark Souls, because the games speed is depending on the FPS. Would you double those frames, you would also double the games speed.
Here the developer/publisher has to do something. And as there is not PS4 Pro patch for Bloodborne I doubt they will release anything "free" like that.

This performance doubling opens up a lot of work for DF when those "patches" get released. I really hope we get more in that department. But in case of Watch Dogs 2, I really hoped for a 1800p "patch" (as the xb1 version was 900p). This game really needs a bit more resolution on big screens.
But as this is an "API-hack" MS uses here, it would be great if we could force those "hacks" even on unsupportet tiles. E.g. with an additional app for "pro users" who at least know what they do. But I guess the publishers "OK" is really needed to release something like this officially on console.

Well, at least we know that this trick would not work in Bloodborne or Dark Souls, because the games speed is depending on the FPS. Would you double those frames, you would also double the games speed.
Here the developer/publisher has to do something. And as there is not PS4 Pro patch for Bloodborne I doubt they will release anything "free" like that.

This performance doubling opens up a lot of work for DF when those "patches" get released. I really hope we get more in that department. But in case of Watch Dogs 2, I really hoped for a 1800p "patch" (as the xb1 version was 900p). This game really needs a bit more resolution on big screens.
But as this is an "API-hack" MS uses here, it would be great if we could force those "hacks" even on unsupportet tiles. E.g. with an additional app for "pro users" who at least know what they do. But I guess the publishers "OK" is really needed to release something like this officially on console.
I know, I know... Which is very sad face emoji.

Jason said they talk to the publisher to respect the vision of the game and sometimes those publishers have plans with the franchise like releasing their own patch and don't want MS to do go ahead with their BC enhancements.
This is fair enough but I imagine the majority of the games are going to have been multiplatform where the PC version ran at them at 60fps or more. I kind of feel this really should be a within the whim of the user. It's not like Microsoft are re-engineering their APIs so RDR2's Arthur Morgan can buy a can of beans in less than 10 minutes. ;-)

This is fair enough but I imagine the majority of the games are going to have been multiplatform where the PC version ran at them at 60fps or more. I kind of feel this really should be a within the whim of the user. It's not like Microsoft are re-engineering their APIs so RDR2's Arthur Morgan can buy a can of beans in less than 10 minutes. ;-)

I wish they would just have a warning and let the user allow it on any game. Give us some options like PC users (or emulators) have, give us the option for an unlocked framerate or locked 60. Maybe the ability to add some AF, AA, and different resolutions.

Someone’s already done the work for them. While it’s probably not as simple as performing a find and replace 108 times, it doesn’t sound that involved. https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...oodborne-60fps-hack-tested-the-complete-story

I wish they would just have a warning and let the user allow it on any game. Give us some options like PC users (or emulators) have, give us the option for an unlocked framerate or locked 60. Maybe the ability to add some AF, AA, and different resolutions.
But they are planning to introduce the configuration menu no? They mentioned that.

I am actually wondering, how emulators get such features. Though I have no idea how emulators work.

@Dictator why don't you want to measure the power consumption of consoles in multiplatform games?
That might be interesting and would show how efficiently the raw power of the consoles is being used at the moment.

We know that xsx and ps5 can consume at least 200-210 watts.
In Valhalla and Hitman 3 xsx only consumes ~165 watts (from Gamers Nexus)
How much does ps5 consume in these games?

Also, it would be interesting to see the Control measurements.

Computerbase.de says that xsx in Legion and Dirt 5 consumes 135 and 155 watts, while ps5 consumes 175 and 205 watts.
Is this true?
https://www.computerbase.de/2020-11/playstation-5-test/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back