Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
two months or two weeks from release, games nowadays release unfinished and you only get a quite finished products months after release anyway.

Which is part of the reason I don’t mind being about 6 years behind in my games backlog. By the time I get to a game the definitive edition HD texture raytraced version is likely available with (hopefully) most bugs squashed.

I have said before , I think this will be a faster generation than last. Ray tracing is just really pitiful on both these consoles and a jump to RDNA 3 which should be ready in 2022 or RDNA 4 in 2023/24 may be much smarter than just clocking this systems faster and adding more cus. You also get the benefit of a much newer ryzen processor and pci-e 5 to draw from. But that is a whole other conversation
How can you make such categorical conclusions about the architecture of consoles when we have not yet seen a single game of the next generation.

All games released at the moment have engines developed for architectures of a decade ago, which rely heavily on ROPs and CPU/GPU frequency. With a full transition to the "next generation", everything will change a lot.

The hardware accelerators Mesh shaders, SFS, ML have not even been used yet (not to mention that they will still have to be studied properly).
RT, VRS and the capabilities of the new CPU were only superficially involved.

See what difference in graphics quality, performance, memory consumption and data loading speed can be achieved when these technologies are used:

How can you make such categorical conclusions about the architecture of consoles when we have not yet seen a single game of the next generation.

Quite a bit can be extrapolated from PC RayTracing performances and knowing the pitfalls.

All games released at the moment have engines developed for architectures of a decade ago, which rely heavily on ROPs and CPU/GPU frequency. With a full transition to the "next generation", everything will change a lot.
is this post from 2010 ? :d most games even crossgen are heavy on computing, some like metro exodus 90% compute 10% raster

two months or two weeks from release, games nowadays release unfinished and you only get a quite finished products months after release anyway.
Which is part of the reason I said at and after launch.

But the fact is, it still has months to go and optimisation generally happens at the tail end of development. So all versions can change, we don't know where each version is in development especially when you consider lead platforms.

All you can do is say at launch this is how they perform which is totally fair, regardless of state of development between platforms.

It isn't a 44% difference in throughput, though. 1800p@60fps is still 8% less pixels per second than 2160p@45fps. I don't disagree that PS5 can likely go higher in FPS or resolution, but to act as though the framerate in Hitman indicates a performance advantage for either console without accounting for resolution is missing a big part of the equation.

Why are you talking about pixels or throughput?

I simply made a statement that at times PS5 can have a frame rate that's 44% faster then XSX's..... which is true according to the frame rate numbers on the DF video.

is this post from 2010 ? :d most games even crossgen are heavy on computing, some like metro exodus 90% compute 10% raster

Yeah when people talk about rasterization they’re actually talking about shading of rasterized buffers. Rasterization itself is a tiny part of current gaming workloads. It is true though that most game engines aren’t designed from the ground up for mesh shading or VRS or RT yet.

Down to ~41fps on XSX in another transparency heavy scene, so PS5 actually pushes even a bit more pixels (about 2%) here as a minimum and possibly much more (PS5 being locked 60fps). DF actually tried to compare both versions in a cutscene showing something like 15% performance edge on XSX using one frame, not 44%. They oddly used only one frame to compare both versions, but at least it was a valid comparison.

I maybe should not have used this game as an example but my point was more to compare how unstable the framerate was on XSX specifically in those ROPs limited scenes (compared to the others scenes on the same console). Some kind of performance 'unbalance' that was also very obvious in AC Valhalla (which they eventually 'patched' by significantly reducing the minimum resolution, down to 1080p if needed).
Hitman is an example of a less stable framerate, but the reason those scenes are ROP limited is because of the higher pixel output. I grabbed that 45fps number because it was the one I saw most often on the lower end in the scenes in the grass. Lots of times it's in the 50s, and can go as low as 41. It wasn't meant to show some advantage for Xbox, just to point out that if you actually calculate the rendered output, the 2 machines are close to each other. Maybe 8% higher here, maybe 2% lower there. But definitely not 44% more or less rendered output. Valhalla is a better example I think because IIRC launch pixel counts were similar and it's framerate issues were throughout the entire game and not limited to a single scene. And it's solution was to lower the resolution on the platform with problems.

Why are you talking about pixels or throughput?

I simply made a statement that at times PS5 can have a frame rate that's 44% faster then XSX's..... which is true according to the frame rate numbers on the DF video.
And I'm not saying it isn't true that the framerate is 44% faster. Your statement wasn't that simple. You also said...
A difference of 44% is higher then any paper difference between the two machines (Largest is memory bandwidth at 25%)
That's only a 44% increase in frames but doesn't consider what's in the frames. I can do 44% more curls than The Rock. Just don't ask what weights we are each using.

Why am I talking about pixels or throughput? Because this is a technical forum discussing the ROP performance of 2 pieces of hardware. Pixels and throughput are a big part of what that's all about.

Why am I talking about pixels or throughput? Because this is a technical forum discussing the ROP performance of 2 pieces of hardware. Pixels and throughput are a big part of what that's all about.

So with that said it would be appreciated if you factor in the 60fps cap restricting PS5's results when comparing pixel output in Hitman.

So with that said it would be appreciated if you factor in the 60fps cap restricting PS5's results when comparing pixel output in Hitman.
There’s no value talking about PS5’s hitman performance, as it’s doing what the developers set out to do, which is hold a steady 60fps.

Saying that there is a 44% frame rate advantage greater than any paper advantage is pretty console warrior territory. There is no “frame rate” advantage that PS5 holds over XSX in the argument, we use PS5 to showcase an obvious issue with XSX bottleneck for that moment. Gain insights into how developers may have rendered certain things. Meaning that the XSX is not performing as the developers desired for such a heavy penalty, losing nearly 50%. Which is not the same as just hitting the limits of the GPU and seeing some minor frame loss.

There is an obvious bottleneck they hit and we can use that information to gain insight into XSX hardware performance, we do not gain insight into PS5 hardware performance. PS5 does not hold a 44% frame rate advantage here because XSX is clearly sitting idle without it’s hardware being utilized.

We've already given you the full lowdown on the Grand Theft Auto 3 Definitive Edition, but do any of the others in the pack fare any better. Join Oliver Mackenzie for the lowdown on both Vice City and San Andreas. Note: most of this testing is conducted on the launch version of the game. However, we have tested out the patch and found that none of our observations, performance metrics or resolution tests have changed... and even the San Andreas rain effect (which was supposed to have been improved according to the patch notes) seems to be unchanged.

DF Article @ https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-definitive-vice-city-san-andreas-tech-review

GTA Definitive Edition: Vice City and San Andreas add to the disappointment
And the new patches do not address fundamental problems.

We've already looked at the opening entry in the Grand Theft Auto Trilogy Definitive Edition - and found the remastering to be anything other than definitive. Shoe-horning the RenderWare-based originals into Unreal Engine 4, presumably in order to tap into the modern technology's advanced rendering capabilities, delivers an experience that at its very best falls short. The mixture of old assets, AI upscaled textures, geometry-enhanced/smoothed vehicles, remodelled characters and modern rendering sensibilities is jarring to say the least. GTA3 was the oldest game and potentially showed off the biggest possible boost but what about Vice City and San Andreas? And what about the recently released patches - is the situation made any better?

Before we go into depth on the individual games, it's important to put the patches into context. Since they arrive relatively soon after the release of the trilogy, we should expect them to have been in development for some time - likely before launch, before the backlash. The patch notes suggest as much, ticking off fixes for a range of bugs as opposed to addressing the fundamental issues raised when the game launched. Our work on the games was mostly carried out on the unpatched launch code, but we've spent significant time re-examining the post-patch Vice City and San Andreas. Unfortunately, none of our issues with the game had been addressed and performance was also unchanged. Interestingly, there is a mention of improvements to the rain effect in San Andreas in the patch notes but even this seems to run in much the same way as before.

I don't think they needed to do as much as they did, the biggest issue with these older games was frame rate and draw distance.

Lock to 60fps, completely eradicate pop-in and they would have been half way there.

Completely agree. I think (seriously) that GTA3, VC and SA look better on the PS2, in special when played on a CRT or/and when forcing higher output resolutions which where huge drawbacks.
How could they put out a trilogy to the one of, if not the most popular and best selling games ever in such a bad 'remake' shape, looking and playing worse than it did 20 years ago on 1999 hardware on todays premium consoles. See what bluepoint/sony did with demon souls..... Or what community modders do to remakes/remasters of GTA games.

The whole trilogy just looks out of place, the rain effect.... everything basically. Aside from performance, at times, worse than my 21 year old PS2 does. GTA3 for example, it looks more polished and better graphically before the remake on 6th gen consoles, even character rendering.

Lets just assume the trilogy was a joke. And indeed, they could have locked the fps to a smooth 60, upped the draw distance somewhat and perhaps added higher texture quality, improved assets etc like they did to GTA3 and VC for the OG 2001 Xbox 18 years ago. Yes, 3 and VC both did get a locked 30fps, higher draw distance, textures, lighting and assets improvements, on the OG xbox launched in 2001.

Completely agree. I think (seriously) that GTA3, VC and SA look better on the PS2, in special when played on a CRT or/and when forcing higher output resolutions which where huge drawbacks.
How could they put out a trilogy to the one of, if not the most popular and best selling games ever in such a bad 'remake' shape, looking and playing worse than it did 20 years ago on 1999 hardware on todays premium consoles. See what bluepoint/sony did with demon souls..... Or what community modders do to remakes/remasters of GTA games.

The whole trilogy just looks out of place, the rain effect.... everything basically. Aside from performance, at times, worse than my 21 year old PS2 does. GTA3 for example, it looks more polished and better graphically before the remake on 6th gen consoles, even character rendering.

Lets just assume the trilogy was a joke. And indeed, they could have locked the fps to a smooth 60, upped the draw distance somewhat and perhaps added higher texture quality, improved assets etc like they did to GTA3 and VC for the OG 2001 Xbox 18 years ago. Yes, 3 and VC both did get a locked 30fps, higher draw distance, textures, lighting and assets improvements, on the OG xbox launched in 2001.

Studio's are getting over excited with remakes/remasters these days.

Alan Wake Remake made the character models look horrendous.

The Crysis remaster completely changed the TOD to the point where the original looks better (imo)

There'a line in the original Jurassic Park that I always think about when it comes to remasters....

"They were so busy wondering if they could that they never stopped to think if they should"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back